WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: PA Ruck 2007

How many miles is the hike to Pole Steeple? Easy, Moderate, Difficult?

Strlyte - Put me down for beef vegetable soup for the Saturday lunch. I'm wracking my brain to try and figure something out for Saturday dinner. Would it be helpful to bring a crock pot to heat the soup or is it an issue with electrical outlets?

If memory serves, it's about 4 miles one way. The hike is flat through the park, then there's a moderate up hill (past the 1/2 way marker) to the blue blazed side trail to Pole Steeple.
    Quote Originally Posted by wpbucher View Post
    How many miles is the hike to Pole Steeple? Easy, Moderate, Difficult?
    Early Bird 2007

Round trip is 4 1/2 - 5 miles. It's an easy hike, with a nice view at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Round trip is 4 1/2 - 5 miles. It's an easy hike, with a nice view at the top.
    You are probably right as to distance. Very pleasant hike. Last summer I did a 2 day hike there and tent camped just north of the 1/2 way marker.
    Early Bird 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Last year at the Ruck I had a problem with my digital camera. (Kodak DX3600) The zoom lense froze. It half closed and then froze/jammed in that position. At the time it was below freezing. I had tried to keep it from freezing by keeping it in my pocket as much as possible. But it froze when I took it out to use it. It was several months before finally a friend of mine was able to fix it for me. I'm not going to bring that camera to the Ruck again. Actually it was my wife's camera so I got a lot of crap for what happened. Does anyone else have problems with freezing cameras.

Panzer
    I've never had too many problems with my camera in cold weather. You see I simply put it down my bra to keep it warm between shots.
    Tenacious Tanasi
    :cool:
    (Shelly Morgan)

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    No alcohol allowed in the hostel or State Park....
    some don't follow rules...
    http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-ruck03/aal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Rat View Post
    Try taking a ride across the Tacony-Palmyra. I make the excuse that I am going to REI but I really do it for the 2.09 gas at the Wawa right across the bridge.
    Gas down here in upstate SC was $1.86 today and dropping.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    Gas down here in upstate SC was $1.86 today and dropping.
    I miss the south sometimes. Car insurance isnt outragious either down there. I moved here from Raliegh NC for work. More money, less to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Oh wow! Who would have thunk Mr Law 'n Order- you're giving hikers a bad rep- would have flagrantly broken the rules.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Strlyte - Put me down for beef vegetable soup for the Saturday lunch. I'm wracking my brain to try and figure something out for Saturday dinner. Would it be helpful to bring a crock pot to heat the soup or is it an issue with electrical outlets?
    Hi Otterman -

Yes, it would be beneficial to space and congestion if you would bring the crock pot; power source allowing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shellyhale View Post
    I've never had too many problems with my camera in cold weather. You see I simply put it down my bra to keep it warm between shots.
    And it most definitely won't get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    And it most definitely won't get lost.
    I don't know about that! My head could get lost!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shellyhale View Post
    So then, your saying if I brought my camera to the ruck, I could keep it there??

Panzer the hopefull

Images

Hello Friends......

This is my last update on the PA Ruck.

Food situation is:

We have all supplies but I feel we could use more styrofoam cups.

We still need meats, entrees, vegetable dishes for Saturday night.

We need desserts.

Don't forget to bring your backpacking stove if you would like to put it among the Ruck's display - I have the 2 StarLyte stoves and my handy esbit...of course

It will be extremely cold at night.

If you are coming in late on Friday and want me to save you a plate, call the hostel (yes I do stupid things like this).

If any potential thru hikers are attending, bring your pack to be tuckerized. Pack just as if you were thruhiking.

Trail Angel Mary I am not going to have time to drive to Duncannon to pick up those items that you wanted to donate to the PA Ruck. If there is anyone in that area that is willing to swing by her house or the Riviera (I'll give you directions), it would be really appreciated.....that's UNLESS she is attending the PA Ruck herself

Default Trail Angel Mary

I've been working on Mary to come too...Hope she makes it!! :-) I got the styrofoam cups, by the way.

a quiet man enters ironmasters annonimusly. he walks to a coner far from the bustle of hiker energys. from within his many mysterious parcels he produces a small devise and plugs it into the electrical outlet. and sinks to the floor . no one notices. the machine is a small air popper for making popcorn. another devise apperes from the bag. its a sterno stove. the man unfolds it and sets a can of solid alcohol fuel beneath it. he lights it and puts a pot on it full of butter. six pounds of popcorn begin to pop. butter melts . all is about to change in this quiet corner. the aroma sneaks off and arouses many who flok to eat . and then the quiet man picks up and dissapears as mysteriously as he appeared. he retreats to a large closet where under the light of a single bulb, he begins to slice pinnaples. emerging from his private prayer/ pinnaple closet , he depostits the last hours cuttings before the now drunken guests. again he dissapears. reapearing , he delivers bourbon to the crowd.a profuse amount of quality bourbon. one last time he sheds the warm glow of the others, gathering a few select bobers,..... they drift off. reapearing and re-dissapearing frequently ,........the clock on the wall suddenly screams,.RUCK!!!!
    matthewski

Default a comedy warmer preruck

ever hear the real story of minnesota smith? my name is matthewski and i first met minesota smith in a two bit bar on the wrong side of the tracks in brooklyn. he was rambleing incoherently some crap about his failed writting carrer and how he should show them all by wrighting a book about faking a thru hike of the appalachian trail. i wasnt even listening to him till i heard the words appalachian trail. i turned and asked if i heard correctly and he asked," why do you like my idea?" to witch i replied, he couldnt do it and that i knew what i was talking about. he said that with my help he could and that he would give me royaltys from the book he thaught he could wright. and thats how it all got started. yesterday i got a letter from a publisher asking me to sign a contract for 3 % of the net profits on a book to be released in 6 weeks entitled,"the secret life of the appalachian trail" im not supposed to tell you all this. im leagaly responsible if i mess up the book release. so what. i made minnesota smith!
    matthewski

the only wanderer has somthing i want. im going to take it from him and there wont be any asking. im going to study his every move and thaught to find out how i can steal from him what i need. then im going to give it out to teenagers all over the place. its something ive been searching for since i was 9. its something he carrys on his lips and in his will. but nevertheless, i can take it for my own. im really good at stealing things like this from people without them noticing. what is it ? his will not to drink or smoke. yup. thats all. im gonna find out how he does it and do it too. if he can be happy with a dip and a pen, so can i.if hes learned how to replace partying with being alone with god, then so can i. and finnaly, if a fat old fart can do it, yada yada yada,.....

i love the wanderer. rucks are good for this.
    matthewski

one more work day till ruck! up to #37 ****/post on my multitask list of ruck related activitys. i learned multitasking by being in the presece of the master. marsha starlyte. allthough her peak task speeds far out perform my own, im still learning and hope to one day achieve starlytes speed of over 40 thousand tasks per second.in other task news, meeting panzer one at the train today to dump my high camp equiptment and tell him mrs panzer is comming. they are under the mistaken impression that shes not comming cause she and cold are old rivals. nevertheless. apon just returning from a sorte to the ruck useing my remote veiwing, ive learned these startleing facts about our ruck.
    were out of napkins. the power went out in a storm sunday morn. the rumer that lone wolf wont show was false. and finally from the future,... mrs panzer was sitting at a table peeling apples and had a smile on her face that said," mat was right, what was i thinking?"
    matthewski

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++