WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Miss Janet's hostel, the good and the bad

I stayed at Miss Janet's hostel on the evening of October 19, used her shuttle service the following morning, and returned to shower and pick up my car on Oct. 24.

The good: Her hostel is clean, very reasonable, easy to find, and located near the services most hikers want. But to talk about only the facilities would really sell short this hostel. Quite frankly and without exaggeration, Miss Janet is one of the nicest people I've ever met in my life. She has that unique ability to make people feel that she's your best friend and that she's known you for ages. Holiday Inn, for example, can provide you with a bed and a shower; Miss Janet provides you with a home.

The bad: There is no bad there.

Images

Miss Janet is one of the few people in the world that you just instantly give respect too, an amazing lady. And she gives respect right back!!!
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

I agre with John 100%, but can't help but point out that he visited in mid-October!

If he were there in April or May, he'd find it very different indeed.

Janet's house is a remarkable place, and unique on the Trail, but folks need to be aware that it's quite different in the springtime at the height of hiker season, and over the years, there have been a few people that have found it a bit too crowded, busy, and active for their tastes.

A vey small fraction of these folks have actually complained about the place, in Trail journals, and elsewhere, which frankly, amazes me.

Those few people who expect peace, quiet, and solitude when they go into town for some rest and relaxation might want to keep this in mind.....or they can always visit Janet in October!

Images

Hey JohnB-

Very nice of you to state this about Janet's.

Yes, there were hikers that stayed there this spring that gave a poor impression of Janet's. It upset me terribly. They obviously have never been to a hostel on the Appalachian Trail during busy thru-hiker season. Janet didn't think twice about it. She's beautiful like that.

simply one of the finest, if not the finest hostels/hostel owners on the trail.

Boston:

First of all, go there and see for yourself, and THEN get back to us on what's logical and what ain't.

But yeah, there are absolutely places on the Trail that are all good.

Rusty's ain't one of em'.

Images

Default Hey Lady

The good: It's all good

The bad: She doesn't serve lobstah enough!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Rusty's ain't one of em'.
    No. But Rusty's is different -- at least before they turned the lights on. I found it a great place to stay -- and observe.

My favorite trail hostel is The Cabin, of course. I'm going there Thanksgiving -- with several kids and grandkids -- including Mathew, who sort of just popped up a couple of years ago without any advance warning -- at least to his grandparents.

Weary

Default good and bad...

The good thing about Miss Janet's...she gives 100%. And then musters up more to give. And when she runs out of that...somewhere she finds more to give.

The bad thing about Miss Janet's...you have to leave her hostel (eventually) to continue hiking ... but you can always come back

Images

Is there REALLY and off season for Janet?? I stopped by for a day or two enroute to Asheville on a wild weekend trip from Vermont to see Yonder play. It was February 19th for crying out loud. Shouldn't be any hikers right? There were about 10 folks staying the night, some who were in the process of hiking, some who were just visiting, and others who were staying temporarily. I'm not sure the place is ever truly free of hiker stench and funk. And thank God for that.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I agre with John 100%, but can't help but point out that he visited in mid-October!

If he were there in April or May, he'd find it very different indeed.

Janet's house is a remarkable place, and unique on the Trail, but folks need to be aware that it's quite different in the springtime at the height of hiker season, and over the years, there have been a few people that have found it a bit too crowded, busy, and active for their tastes.

A vey small fraction of these folks have actually complained about the place, in Trail journals, and elsewhere, which frankly, amazes me.

Those few people who expect peace, quiet, and solitude when they go into town for some rest and relaxation might want to keep this in mind.....or they can always visit Janet in October!
    As I stated in "Words of wisdom" from a while ago:
    > All, & I do mean ALL! Shelters, Campsites, Hostels, Motels, Restaurants, Stores, & etc. Will have someone say something bad about them. Listen to them or not, I chose to not listen, & have had many a good experience at places I was warned against stopping at / visiting. On the opposite end, EVERY: Shelter, Campsite, Hostel, Motel, Restaurant, Store, & etc. will be SOMEONE’S favorite. <

There is just no pleasing some people.

Doctari
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    There is just no pleasing some people.
    One of the nice things about nice people is that they WANT and handle well constructive criticism. I know Miss Janet and I bet she'd LOVE to know if something were amiss at her place.

This Pollyanna idea that there can be no wrong in the world with a particular place is just that. Every place might be improved or tweaked, either now or in the future. Recently I think someone asked about donating a computer to Miss Janet's place. IMHO, that is evidence of "criticism" (someone not happy about something and voicing it), just a constructive, productive kind.

I give talks and presentations from time to time in my profession upon request, sometimes to college classes, sometimes to fellow professionals. I am mature enough to know I can't be objective about myself, nor that it does me much good to listen to fans who will only heap out praise. The folks I want to hear from are the good critics, who by "complaining" help me polish the rough edges or expand the things that are strong and good. I even created a critique form so that I could "urge" folks to give balanced and complete and honest feedback.

Again, in my opinion one of the good things about Miss Janet is that I bet she'd love balanced, worthwhile feedback, and she'd take it in the spirit given, or let it roll off her back like a backpacking duck in an AT downpour.

Besides, I'm not worried on her behalf that there's going to be an overwhelming flood of negativity directed at Miss Janet!!!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Janet's Hostle

I first met Miss Janet during my 2001 thru. She had not opened her hostle yet but was in the planning stage. I followed her progress, on Whiteblaze, and struggled with her as she delt with the problems, one at a time.
    I was so glad, for her, when she finally put all the pieces together and opened to service hikers.
    This spring I had the opportunity to visit Janet. Her hostle is much more than just another "trail stop". It has developed into a MUST STOP. Janet offers so much, to those who stop by, to add to your trail experience. She has such a large and loving heart.
    She is a special person who helps to make the AT WHAT IT IS.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    One of the nice things about nice people is that they WANT and handle well constructive criticism. I know Miss Janet and I bet she'd LOVE to know if something were amiss at her place.

This Pollyanna idea that there can be no wrong in the world with a particular place is just that. Every place might be improved or tweaked, either now or in the future. Recently I think someone asked about donating a computer to Miss Janet's place. IMHO, that is evidence of "criticism" (someone not happy about something and voicing it), just a constructive, productive kind.

I give talks and presentations from time to time in my profession upon request, sometimes to college classes, sometimes to fellow professionals. I am mature enough to know I can't be objective about myself, nor that it does me much good to listen to fans who will only heap out praise. The folks I want to hear from are the good critics, who by "complaining" help me polish the rough edges or expand the things that are strong and good. I even created a critique form so that I could "urge" folks to give balanced and complete and honest feedback.

Again, in my opinion one of the good things about Miss Janet is that I bet she'd love balanced, worthwhile feedback, and she'd take it in the spirit given, or let it roll off her back like a backpacking duck in an AT downpour.

Besides, I'm not worried on her behalf that there's going to be an overwhelming flood of negativity directed at Miss Janet!!!

RainMan

OK, then.I was camping AT Beauty Spot last July and I wanted to meet Miss Janet so I stopped by her house and she was not there!! She was (GASP!!) on vacation in (of all places) Florida!! Another bad thing is that there should be giant signs all over Erwin directing you to Miss J's as it was a little bit difficult (for me) to find!! I hope I wasn't too harsh. Sorry.

Images

ya can't blame her for taking a vacation every once in a while, no one can be around hiker stench all year long!!!
    But i like the idea about making signs leading to miss janets. maybe like peaisburg va, where there are blue blazes leading to the hostel up the hill. what color should her blazes be? if miss janet would like this done, I'd be willing to work out a wkend if someone wants to help w/ this.
    Gaiter

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thickredhair View Post
    what color should her blazes be?
    Candy Cane Stripes.

Might want to check with the rest of the community before you go painting the town red. Or blue. Or candy cane stripes.

Forgiveness is more easily obtained than permission.

Images

lol, i think checking w/ both miss janet and the town would be a given, maybe even showing the town pics of the pearisburg blazes. anyone have a testimonial about those being helpful?
    Gaiter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++