WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Gear Stores - Ocala, FL

I am relocating from Boston to Ocala and we are pretty spoiled up here with an EMS on every block, 2 REI stores, The Wilderness House, and a 100 other mom & pop gear shops. Looking on the big guys sites the nearest EMS is Virginia and the nearest REI is Atlanta. I know a lot of people from central Florida visit this site and several are planning to thru-hike. Where do people get there gear in central Florida?
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Gear

Hello and welcome, Snowbird! If you stay beyond the winter months we will dispense with the "snowbird"

You have an outfitter 30 miles north, in Gainesville, called braselton(sp?).

You have one a little further to your south, in Altamonte Springs (north Orlando), called Travel Country Outdoors.

You have one just off the interstate (I-95) in Jacksonville, called Black Creek Outfitters.

There are numerous other smaller ones sprinkled throughout the region as well.

Much of the best gear, as far as I am concerned, comes not from those larger outfitters selling large manufacturer's mass produced items made in various asian countries, but from smaller, cottage industries, whose products are available to you on the 'net.

Now that winter is coming, come on down and work on your tan

Images

Thanks Highway -

I will be commuting back and forth for a while but since I bought a house in Ocala I think I will be staying for quite a while. I am also planning to thru-hike starting in March 2007.

I will be sure to check those places out.

I like the big gear stores for their constant 20% and 30% sales. I just wait when I need an item until I can buy it right. I do like to patronize the mom and pop shops as well. I am a small business person myself and you cannot beat their service. However, not working for 6 months while I hike makes me very money conscience.

I also like to buy good old “Made in the USA” and handcrafted stuff when I can justify it. I bought a ULA Catalyst for my thru-hike. I bike a lot and my bike is “Handmade in Tennessee”.

We have this place call “The Wilderness House” up here in Boston. 20 years ago it was the coolest place in the world. Everyone there was a climber or hiker, etc. Rugged looking bearded guys with weathered faces. It was in an old building with more stuff than you could imagine. All top of the line, small lot manufactured stuff. I went back this year and it still there but the building was rehabbed to a glass and chrome look. The stuff they carried was all mass produced and some college kid who had never been on the woods tried to help me. I left in disgust.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Ocala Trails????

I hate to recommend a trail in Florida because ours are usually so remote from any 'wilderness' experience, completely devoid of any "mountainous" experience at all, but there is a trail through the Ocala National Forest, near where you will be living, that I use in the winter-our hiking season. It is only 60 or so miles through it, but will be closer to you than I am. The Florida Trail (orange blazed, of course) goes through it. When in March?

Images

Yes, I know the area. Ocala National Forest, the Florida Greenway, mountain biking, and canoeing are some of the many reasons we chose Ocala. 48 miles of paved bike trails from Dunnellon south as well.

Right now I am planning around March 6th to coincide with my daughter’s spring break from college so she can hike the first week with me.

I figure I can get to Spring in 4.5 hours straight up I75.

Wilderness? Massachusetts ain't got no stinkin' wilderness. Trust me, being down there ducking the gators and the huge Golden Orb spiders will be challenge enough for awhile. Did I mention I hate spiders?

Where are you located?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by icemanboston View Post
    I figure I can get to Spring in 4.5 hours straight up I75.
    Should read:
    I figure I can get to Springer in 4.5 hours straight up I75.

And I use a spell checking so I do not look stupid. It must have "fixed" Springer for me.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default ?

I am in Cocoa an hour and a half from Ocala and about the same to the southern edge of the Ocala forest. I hope to leave about April 16, on a Monday, when one way flights to Atlanta are cheapest. I chose it for no particular reason. I'll be a month behing you, it seems

Images

I see you hike Camino de Santiago. That is the pilgrimage in Spain, right? How was that? Was it difficult or crowded? My wife and I talked about doing it. He like to “hike” but not backpack.

You will probably catch me in the first month. I won’t be setting any records. The weekends are the worst times to start because of the crowds. You may even want to consider a Tuesday if you are a fast hiker to get the weekenders a few days head start and leave room for you.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Hiking

I did the Camino de Santiago last year, walking from France to Santiago and, since I was on a roll, decided to keep on going to the Atlantic Ocean, to Finisterre, known as 'The End of the earth' from ancient times. It was an amazing trek and an amazing experience, walking in the footsteps of so many who have walked along portions of it for greater than a thousand years. I would highly recommend it to anyone and certainly a husband-wife team.
    One can go as fast or slow as one wished and there is an entire network of support for the "pilgrims" who, in fact are called such , but rather do it for numerous reasons.

I started in October and passed through the famous Navarra and Rioja wine producing areas about the time that the grapes were ripening upon the vines and were being harvested. Sadly, since it was so rainy, the harvest was late. That was my breakfast each morning, eating as many of those delicious, just picked by me, tempranillo and cabernet sauvignon grapes each morning till I was stuffed. I hated it when I walked out of that region and into the wheat producing region of Burgos. I had to start buying my breakfast then.

Anyway, the route is packed during the summer months of July, August, September, especially August when so many of the Europeans are on vacation. In october and November when I went it was not crowded at all, but was getting cold in the higher elevations and I hike in shorts and sandals. Over O'Cebreiro I was in snow. Still, I would pick the same months to do it again.

When I finally reached Santiago and attended the Pilgrim's Mass, given daily for those arriving that day, where all the countries in attendance were called out, I was the only one from the US. It was a humbling as well as exciting experience.

I was going to do a trip report on it and post it on this site but couldnt seem to get ATtroll's permission. I emailed him once but have received no reply as yet.

The trail shop in Gainesville that HIghway mentioned is called Brasington's, if I am not mistaken. They were friendly and knowledgable when I was a Gator many years ago, but I havent been there in a decade.

melted cheese is god

if you know all your sizes (pack,boots,shirts, pants,etc.) i would recomend campmor. its a mail-order outfitter and i have saved thousands with them. usually my order comes 4-5 days after ordering.

hope it helps

much love to all
    "In the landscape of spring,
    Nothing is better or worse.
    The flowering branches grow
    Naturally, long or short."

Just moved back home, 15 minutes from Damascus, after 14 years in Central FL, 5 of those in Ocala... Winter Haven, FL, 1 1/2 HRS south of Ocala, ANDY THORNAL........... Altamonte Springs, FL (Far E. Orlando) Travel Country Outdoors........... Both are well stocked outfitters, with the nod going to ANDY's for hometown personal touch style...........

Oh, also, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but making the trip probably a dozen times to Springer/ N. GA from Central FL, I can promise you will not make it to Springer in 4 1/2 hours unless your driving a plane......... Atlanta alone will take you longer than that........... Sad but true, I keep the hope alive myself even after the first try........

Images

Hey Icey, you won't get too icey cown in Ocala (oh-cal'-lah not oh'-ka-la) I live in G-ville. Brasington's Trail Shop is a good one. They're not like Neel's Gap or Hot Springs Outfitters (hi, Guys) but close and priced the same and if they don't have it they'll get it for you. I like 'em. We'll have to get together again. Guy's let's have another FL gathering and Ya'll come this time!

AT, ECT, LT, PCT Thru-hiker JojoSmiley's Avatar

Brasington's is good for backpackers as well as canoeist. We bought our kayaks there and have been back many times. Friendly and very helpful. We live in Silver Springs and go to the one in Ocala.
    Jojo Smiley :)
    Savor the Moments!

2005 Camino de santiago

Smile Notice!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Hey Icey, you won't get too icey cown in Ocala (oh-cal'-lah not oh'-ka-la) I live in G-ville. Brasington's Trail Shop is a good one. They're not like Neel's Gap or Hot Springs Outfitters (hi, Guys) but close and priced the same and if they don't have it they'll get it for you. I like 'em. We'll have to get together again. Guy's let's have another FL gathering and Ya'll come this time!
    I didnt know about the last one or I'd have gone. Winter will be here for a week or so in a month or so, hoiw 'bout around then?

Images

Icemanboston,
    Highway hit it on the head with all of the outfitters. I was also going to suggest as JojoSmiley did that you check out some canoe and kayak outfitters. Some of the ones here actually have a small but good selection of niche backpacking and outdoor gear. If by chance you happen to be on business in the Clearwater area check out Venture Outfitters. Also, if you happen to be down in Sarasota, definitely take the time to stop by Environeers, the place is huge and has everything. I'm all for another gathering or FT hike Gray Blazer and can make it this time if we can get it together!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DareN View Post
    I'm all for another gathering or FT hike Gray Blazer and can make it this time if we can get it together!
    I'll come, but, I don't want to organize it. If I do, no one will come and you know I'm kinda a sensitive guy and I'll get my feelings hurt and then I'll whine and then all the WB cyberbullies will jump in and beat me up and...etc., etc., etc.. Get Sgt. Rock to organize it. He doesn't even have to come, just organize it for us.

++ New Posts ++