WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default thinking about getting the Granite Gear Vapor Trail

hey ive got a lot of overtime pay comming on my next paycheck, and have been thinking of getting a pack. i was looking online at a bunch of packs, and this one is looking pretty good. I will mostly be using it for weekend / weeklong hikes. Although i am planning a thru in 3 years. Has anyone here ever used this pack on a thru? if so, did it work out?

thanks for the help.

-matt c

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I did in 2003. Worked like a charm. Still carrying it but have upgraded the hip belt and added the hip belt pouches.

As long as you can keep your total pack weight at 26lbs or under there aren't too many packs on the market that can compare with its comfort and simplicity.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I've always had a desire for this pack, but a few things have prevented me from buying it:

No lid or pockets. It's one big cavity, so if you don't organize well, this can be a problem. Most likely you'll need to use a system of stuff sacks to organize. I know they sell lids now.

The pockets. Considering this pack is used by many thru-hikers (AT, PCT and other trails) I'm not sure why they haven't taken the feedback that the pockets suck. They are stretchy Neoprene that doesn't offer a lot of space when the volume of the pack is filled from the inside. It's tough to stick a quart bottle in there when your sleeping bag and gear is stuffed. I would think it would be so easy to sew big mesh pockets like the ones on the ULA packs.

Besides this, the pack seems ideal. It the overwhelming favorite on the AT and PCT as far as I've witnessed.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

[quote=A-Train;255260]No lid or pockets.
    ==================================

A-Train ...I have the aftermarket "lid" and while it is not very roomy it does serve to hold quick access items. I also added the hip belt pouches this past year. I have them attached so that they stay close to the hip belt and don't float around.

All in all, the Vapor Trail equipped like mine is pretty hard to beat for a 2 lbs pack that carries 26 lbs comfortably.

That said ...I AM on the lookout for a pack that will carry about 32 - 35 lbs. Thinking about doing the PCT in the next couple years and with the longer re-supply intervals I need something that has a bit more capacity and that will carry it comfortably.

Will most likely go with one of the ULA's

'Slogger

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post

No lid or pockets. It's one big cavity, so if you don't organize well, this can be a problem. Most likely you'll need to use a system of stuff sacks to organize. I know they sell lids now.
    Not really. I use a belt pouch and one small stuff sack for non food related items. The stuff sack holds my first aid kit, knife, id, money, and duct tape. The belt pouch holds my headlamp, snacks, and camera. The only other stuff sacks I use are for food.

The pockets. Considering this pack is used by many thru-hikers (AT, PCT and other trails) I'm not sure why they haven't taken the feedback that the pockets suck. They are stretchy Neoprene that doesn't offer a lot of space when the volume of the pack is filled from the inside. It's tough to stick a quart bottle in there when your sleeping bag and gear is stuffed. I would think it would be so easy to sew big mesh pockets like the ones on the ULA packs.

The pockets can be difficult if you need to stuff water bottles in and out and the main pocket bottom is stuffed. I use a hydration bladder. The pockets can fit my megalite tent with no problem, but in general I just put an 8x10 tarp in one and fuel bottle in the other.

I like mine, but take a look at the ULA packs too.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus?

I have recently bought a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus pack. It is about 19oz without taking out the padding. I also bought their NightLight torso lenth pad to use as a frame. This weighs about 4 oz. So, the total with this pack is about 23oz. Pretty light. It has great mesh pockets, carbon stays, and a hydration bladder pocket. Although I have not tried it yet, I am going to try it out in a couple weeks and will report back here. I also have not tried the GG or ULA packs for comparison. Has anyone out there tried them all?

[quote=Footslogger;255270]
    ==================================

That said ...I AM on the lookout for a pack that will carry about 32 - 35 lbs. Thinking about doing the PCT in the next couple years and with the longer re-supply intervals I need something that has a bit more capacity and that will carry it comfortably.

Will most likely go with one of the ULA's

'Slogger
    The miles can be a bit longer between towns and there are less options of towns, but the miles go by easier. IOW, my pack was always the same, what I carry is basicly the same and so was my weight.(low to mid 30s)

Images

[quote=Nean;255351][quote=Footslogger;255270]

...and so was my weight.(low to mid 30s)
    ==============================================

That's the main problem (in my experience) with the Vapor Trail. It doesn't carry 30+ lbs very comfortably.

'Slogger

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

After reviewing a number of packs, I reduced my choices to ULA and Granite Gear. I was going to go with a ULA P-2 but the 2-month backlog didn't work with my hike plans. I ended up going with the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, the big brother of the Vapor Trail, as I thought I would appreciate the sturdier framesheet, especially if I needed to carry over 30 pounds on a re-supply in late Fall. I've upgraded with The Lid to store little stuff, and I may add a shoulder strap pocket to provide easier access to my camera and snacks when I'm wearing running shorts without pockets.

I've seen a lot of thru-hikers carry the Vapor Trail the past two years. I've learned to live with the pockets, which are sufficiently stretchy that you can shove water bottles and a ditty bag in (unless you have a big synthetic sleeping bag stuffed in the bottom). The compression straps around the pockets are pretty worthless though (hmmm, maybe I should cut off the lower ones?).

I would take a look at the ULA Circuit and Catalyst though. I like the various customization options, and I really like the big front mesh pocket to stuff a wet tent, hammock, or socks.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 10-11-2006 at 13:19. Reason: Typo; Clarified which straps to cut off
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

[quote=Kerosene;255396]The compression straps around the pockets are pretty worthless though (hmmm, maybe I should cut them off?).

=====================================

The lower ones certainly are, as they lie directly over the top edge of the mesh side pouches. But the upper ones come in handy if you put anything long in the mesh pockets and need to secure it.

Like you ...I have started to look very seriously at the Circuit as the replacement for my Vapor Trail when it finally dies.

'Slogger

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    hey ive got a lot of overtime pay comming on my next paycheck, and have been thinking of getting a pack. i was looking online at a bunch of packs, and this one is looking pretty good. ...........

Yo matt C.

ME TOO!

i've been using the REI Morninstar 75 (4lbs 7oz) for the last 5 years..& have been carrying approx 30lbs on my back...trying to lighten the load & doing the research...according to a couple sites....the GRANITE GEAR VAPOR TRAIL(aprx 2lbs) was used (dont know where they got the data) by 40% of thru-hikers last year.

my hikin' bud "Jigsaw" swears by it...thats good enuff fer me!

Good Luck with your hike.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    Yo matt C.

ME TOO!

i've been using the REI Morninstar 75 (4lbs 7oz) for the last 5 years..& have been carrying approx 30lbs on my back...trying to lighten the load & doing the research...according to a couple sites....the GRANITE GEAR VAPOR TRAIL(aprx 2lbs) was used (dont know where they got the data) by 40% of thru-hikers last year.

my hikin' bud "Jigsaw" swears by it...thats good enuff fer me!

Good Luck with your hike.
    The VT has a bit of a low ride that can pull at the shoulders. If you plan to regularly put 30 lbs in it, I'd consider what Kerosene did and go for the Nimbus. I found a noticeable difference when I dropped ~3 lbs from about 29 to about 26 lbs. On other packs I own, I don't really notice this weight loss, what is just a little over a liter of water.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

[quote=Alligator;255422]The VT has a bit of a low ride that can pull at the shoulders. If you plan to regularly put 30 lbs in it, I'd consider what Kerosene did and go for the Nimbus. I found a noticeable difference when I dropped ~3 lbs from about 29 to about 26 lbs.
    ========================================

Exactly. What seems to happen is that the HDPU frame sheet "buckles" a bit with loads of 30lbs or greater and despite a snug hip belt the Vapor Trail sags a bit, placing most of the weight on your shoulders. A "stay" or strut, like the Nimbus has, would prevent that from happening.

'Slogger

hmm ill have to investigate the ozone aswell. I think im gonna stop at EMS tommrow after work, to try some packs on.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Default A more accurate test

hmm ill have to investigate the ozone aswell. I think im gonna stop at EMS tommrow after work, to try some packs on.
    Bring your gear and actually fill the backpacks you try out. I know it's a pain but you'll get a much better idea of how a pack will ride and how much space you'll have to work with.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

hmm that sounds like a good idea, but will the people at EMS care that im bringing all my gear in the store?

Images

hmm that sounds like a good idea, but will the people at EMS care that im bringing all my gear in the store?
    ========================================

No reputable outfitter will/should mind that MattC. It's the smart way to go about selecting and testing a pack.

'Slogger

I have a GG Latitude Vapor. It can hold 30#, and the double zipper panel allows easy access to the whole pack. It has internal compression straps and a hydration pocket on the inside back panel which I dont use. I lay my platypus on top under the lid. It also has a clip on "ditty bag" inside that has a small foam pad I guess would fit under one cheek. Still has the sucky pockets with the compression strap over the top. Very comfortable, I ordered a long, and have added a few belt pouches. About $125 online

Images

I just used the GG Nimbus Ozone onmy through hike and loved it to no end. I even bought a vapor trail in Harpers but then switched back to the ozone do to it's excelent suspension and weight distribution. I will carry the vapor trail on weekends in the summer when I don't carry more than 25# anything more I will carry the ozone till I die on the trail! or GG stops making it and I hope that is not any time soon
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

the gg vt(regular one) is a great pack once you get the all the straps fit. but yeah anything over 30 lbs and gets pretty uncomfortable:/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++