WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Default Glen Brook Lean-to

Just FYI -- There is a sign asking hikers not to sleep in the Glen Brook Lean-to. The sign says there is the danger of a tree falling on it. I didn't go down and see it, though.

Luckily, the Hemlocks Shelter is just 500 feet away to the south, and it's in great shape. Howver, if you are SOBO, there isn't a sign for the Hemlocks. After passing the sign for the Glen Brook Shelter, look for a blue blaze on your left right after crossing the brook. That's the trail to the Hemlocks.

-- Ivy

The tree has been cut down, however you may still want to go to the new Hemlock shelter it is new and very beautiful. Some idiot filled the privy with garbage however. You may want to use the old privy at Glen Brook on your way.

Images

Default Hemlock Shelter

If you are Northbound, Hemlock is the shelter that you come to just (.1 mi) before Glen Brook. It is a new, first-class shelter with 4 bunks and an upper loft. A lot of people can fit in here. There is a privy and a picnic table. Water may be a problem in dry months, but was available from a small stream on the approach path on 5/18/04 when I stayed there. The register was completely full (even the covers), so this is a popular site.

I also walked down to Glen Brook and it seemed fine as well. It was clean and very useable.

Just John

June 19, 2004 - Stayed at the Hemlocks, or should I call it the Hilton Hemlocks. It's a beautiful, clean, new shelter with plenty of room for meeting and sleeping.

Default Lots of camping spots at Glen Brook

Glen Brook is a good choice for large groups -- lots of group campsites available. The shelter is smallish, holds maybe four hikers at best. Lots of bugs when I was there a few days ago (evening of 6/19/05.)

Was at Glen Brook on 7/23/06. Clean. Several tent platforms, metal food locker, faulty door privy, small leanto, as above, 4 max, unless it is a driving rain mayhaps. The "trails" to both Glenbrook and Hemlocks are within 25 yards of each other, and well marked with signs, although the Hemlock sign is a bit difficult to notice if one is NOBO. Fires permitted.

PS... Guilder Pond is a blue triangle marked side trail without other signs about 10 minutes south of glen brook, about 2 minutes north of the access road and picnic tables 15-20 minutes below Mt. Everett. 50 yards to the pond, turn right for about 30 more yards, a very nice rock outcropping to sit and enjoy a very nice mountaintop/hilltop pond of pretty good size. Worth a sit. The trail does circle the pond.

Update on Glen Brook Shelter (7-4-09). We have found that the roof is leaking at the center back of the shelter. Not a great bit of news with all this rain. We'll probably attempt a patch, but won't get to replacing the roof completely until next season. Hemlocks is close by and is dry.

Cosmo

Update on the Update: Tuesday June 15th. The new roof is in place (finally) and ready to go. Enjoy this really charming location in a grove of conifers.

Neighboring Hemlocks shelter also now has a nice new privy bin.

We met Blue Jay as we were wrapping up. He helped us schlep some of the gear back up to the vehicles. Thanks Blue Jay!

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Update on Glen Brook Shelter (7-4-09). We have found that the roof is leaking at the center back of the shelter. Not a great bit of news with all this rain. We'll probably attempt a patch, but won't get to replacing the roof completely until next season. Hemlocks is close by and is dry.

Cosmo

Images

Stayed at the Glen Brook Shelter last week. Most everyone else went to the larger Hemlock Shelter. I chose Glen Brook because the water is better. (it's not to the left as my book says, but right down in front of the shelter a bit) Shelter is small, but clean and dry. The bear box and privy are up the hill more toward the AT.

The easier water is at the AT between the Hemlocks and Glen Brook access trails. It's the same brook. Interesting that the guide book says the water is to the left.

Was it raining during your stay? I've heard rumors that our new roof leaks.

Cosmo

++ New Posts ++