WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Arrow Hemlock Hollow Farm- Best kept secret?

I'm updating the 2007 ALDHA Companion for the Tanyard Gap to Erwin section and new to the book (last year) this place looks extremely nice, only .5 off the trail (Log cabin Drive) 17 miles north of Hot Springs and 1.6 miles north of Allen Gap.

Besides having heated cabins and bunkhouse and a covered tentsite by a creek, they carry all types of fuel, serve hot food, carry "backpacker" meals and other items in a small store at decent prices. They also take credit/debit cards.

Open year round, Hattie seemed genuinely pleased to accommodate hikers. you can email or call her if you have any questions....

http://www.hemlockhollow.net/hikerspage.html

Images

Looks like a good place. That's off the road up Camp Creek Bald, one of my favorite places to summit in my truck.

Images

I would say it is closer to a mile off the trail than a .5. We were running low on food before getting to Hot Springs, so stopped there. Plenty of Snickers and other candy bars.. no clif bars though . Nice selection of Backpacking food otherwise. Great little place not far from the trail. No cokes but plenty of other soft drinks that hit the spot.

Also note that Hattie is hard of hearing so you have to speak pretty loud. She's

Default Hemlock Hollow

It really isn't "closer to a mile" to get to Hemlock Hollow. It is pretty accurately a half mile.

It is a real nice place. I liked the place and the couple that runs it. New. They are doing some learning.

I was there at the tail end of the Thru-Hiker surge after Memorial Day, and they were having a sale on dehydrated food.

If you think they need more food, I am sure they would love to hear from you, and learn from you.

Default I don't remember stopping at this place last year...

When I thruhiked the AT. One thing about it comes to mind IMO above all, and that's its location. Only 17 miles north of Hot Springs, where I did stop (3 hostels!!) I didn't need another hostel or resupply point yet, not hardly. I doubt I would detour to go to this place, if I were to thru again and did another full stop at HS.

Hattie made us feel right at home and her cookin' is top notch!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

link didnt work
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    serve hot food
    That would be hard to pass up even after Hot Springs.

Hattie and her husband were just great last year. They had been servicing fishermen in the past but were switching over to hikers. A hot shower, some of Hattie's cooking, and a dry bunk--life doesn't get any better. Plus she helped me to hook up with Ms Janet.
    Hattie and Ms Janet--two great trail angels.

Images

Its a great little place with real nice folks. The only bad thing is how close it is to Hot Springs

El Sordo
    Images

I'm not sure that being close to Hot Springs is a bad thing. They are available to hikers, but it's certainly not mandatory. Put in a good long day and do it in one gulp or just pass it by on your 2nd day. They seem to have done alright without hikers and presumably will continue to do so. It's always nice to know about trail resources wherever located.

I stayed there 2 years ago doing a SOBO. It was raining and still a ways to the next shelter. Had a nice stay, nice place. If you like exotic coffee, they got that there too. I passed it by this year, cuz I had just spent 2 days in Hot Springs. Otherwise, might have dropped in again. I noticed they have a better sign at the trail crossing now, before it was just a note on a tree..
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I passed it by this year, cuz
    .........I was headed to Damascus for a smoke.

++ New Posts ++