WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Weatherproof Camera

I'm looking for a camera for backpacking, and possibly for a thru-hike. My main requirements are that it be compact and weatherproof. I haven't decided about batteries yet, but I think I'll accept rechargeables if they have a long enough life. So far, the only current models I have identified as weatherproof are the Olympus Stylus and the Pentax Optio.

Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with these models? Are there other weatherproof models I should check into? I would consider buying used.

-Wesley

Images

From a quick search, I think you have already identified the 2 waterproof cameras currently on the market. Now, I did note they are waterPROOF. Didnt locate and cameras that were just waterRESISTANT...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyb
    I'm looking for a camera for backpacking, and possibly for a thru-hike. My main requirements are that it be compact and weatherproof. I haven't decided about batteries yet, but I think I'll accept rechargeables if they have a long enough life. So far, the only current models I have identified as weatherproof are the Olympus Stylus and the Pentax Optio.

Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with these models? Are there other weatherproof models I should check into? I would consider buying used.

-Wesley
    This should be an interesting thread.

I have a good friend who carries his digital in an Altoids tin.

I would say unless you're taking professional shots, why not just use a good 5.1 megapixel and don't take it out in the rain? I'm sure you can keep it in a heavy duty ziploc too. I've never once had a problem. Even when it rained, I just held something over the camera.

Good luck.

Images

Images

OK, that was a blonde moment if I ever saw one! Disregard the above post and check this one!! http://www.electronicsbonanza.com/co...sku=8908&src=g

I hiked most of the AT with an Olympus stylus. I protected it with a ziplock for rainy weather and stream crossings. It took a beating, and lots of moisture, but held up the entire time with great photos. Take a look at my gallery and you will see photos that are from the stylus 300. I know have a stylus 800 and love it. The only issues I had with the 300 is problems with low light and blurry night shots. The 800 does a lot better with this though. Good review for me on olympus.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

Images

We have two of the Pentax Optio waterproof models -- the W10? They make nice images, are fairly easy to use, and you can get a lot of images on a 1-gig card. They do use Li-Ion batteries, but we carry a spare, and usually get 200+ photos per battery. (You can reduce battery use by not reviewing your photos on the little screen.) The cameras themselves are very small and slim, and the lens is completely enclosed, making them very pocketable.

Pentax makes a slim black slip-case for the camera, which I would recommend to protect both the lens and the LCD screen, neither of which has any sort of cover.

I've never had to test the waterproofness of the camera, but it does have O-ring seals around the battery/card compartment.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

StarLyte: have a good friend who carries his digital in an Altoids tin.
    I believe I have seen this hiker and tin, very cool!
    ad astra per aspera

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    I believe I have seen this hiker and tin, very cool!
    yea, but stumpknocker is his own breed

regardless, no camera is waterPROOF in my opinion. Buy just a regular camera and buy a $15 waterproof wet/dry bag to put it in if you are that concerned.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky
    We have two of the Pentax Optio waterproof models -- the W10? They make nice images, are fairly easy to use, and you can get a lot of images on a 1-gig card. They do use Li-Ion batteries, but we carry a spare, and usually get 200+ photos per battery. (You can reduce battery use by not reviewing your photos on the little screen.) The cameras themselves are very small and slim, and the lens is completely enclosed, making them very pocketable.

Pentax makes a slim black slip-case for the camera, which I would recommend to protect both the lens and the LCD screen, neither of which has any sort of cover.

I've never had to test the waterproofness of the camera, but it does have O-ring seals around the battery/card compartment.
    We have two also, Beth and I. They are great, I use em in the rain all the time, but dont submerge it, ziploc is a necessity. Good pics, small, and resists moisture real real well. For the price, it's my choice to BP with.
    You are in heaven.

Thumbs up

I have the 7.1 megapixel WATERPROOF & SHOCKPROOF Olympus Stylus. I can vouch for its durability and waterproofness. I love it! i recently dropped it on the tar as I was getting into my truck, not even a scratch!!!

Default Stylus 720sw

I second the vote for this camera. I've been using it for a couple of months and have been very happy with it so far.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I have an earlier model of the Olympus Stylus - very durable and water resistant - and 1 Gig card holds about 1,200 photos.

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

i own an olympus stylus and love it, it is waterproof to 10 feet depth and shockproof and impact resistant to 5 feet fall. i use mine for hikes and swimming pictures and have never had a problem. the battery is a special kind that comes with its own charger. i dont have the specs on it but neither the camera or the charger are real big or heavy.

little bear
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

I own the Pentax Optio too. I love this camera and can attest to its waterproofness.
    This spring, while taking a risky and no doubt foolhardy beach shortcut in a Bay of Fundy park, a freak wave caught me up to about adam's apple height. This put the Optio about 30 or so inches under cold salt water. I hated this of course, but simply dunked it in the first available fresh water. It was fine. Don't plan to do this again, but now I don't worry about my expensive camera sitting in my pocket during a driving rain storm.

Cheers,

PKH
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded. It was interesting to find out that many people get along just fine with regular camera, but I'll probably still go with a weatherproof one so I'll be able to take pictures in wet conditions and it will be one less thing I have to worry about keeping dry.

- Wesley

Images

Getting in this late, but a weather resistant camera doesn't mean you can let the camera get trashed; still got to keep the lens clean or you'll have spots, streaks, etc in the images.

BTW, bought a Olympus Styles two years ago, the 3 megapixel one. No problems, great photos (for a point and shoot, this ain't no SLR) and good battery life. Not too sure how it'd work out on a thru as recharging the proprietary battery is a PITA w/o the charging shoe.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Bump.

I was looking at cameras yesterday. Can't decide. Any new opinions on the best camera in the 6 megapixel range?

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Canon Elph

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Bump.

I was looking at cameras yesterday. Can't decide. Any new opinions on the best camera in the 6 megapixel range?
    Canon Elph, had one for 4 years, water resistant, I take photos in rain, protecting it with bill of my visor, keeping it in a small padded zippered case at my waist belt. I has worked all those years. I like the 3X zoom as well as the macro capability. Great camera

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Light weight and weather resistance are key, but there are several other variables you'll want to balance: optical zoom, megapixels, LCD size, battery type and life, and most importantly, picture quality. I strongly recommend that you take a look at the Pentax Optio WP model: 3X optical zoom, long-lasting rechargable proprietary battery, under 5 ounces, consistently great picture quality. My only gripe is that the LCD is a little small and washes out in brighter light (but it does have a viewfinder which can compensate when taking the picture).

Buy an extra battery or two (about $30 each with a battery good for 100-200 pictures depending on how often you turn on/off and how long it's on). Put the recharger in your bounce box. Put in a 512 MB or even a 1 GB memory card, and consider sending them home (padded envelope) for your significant other to upload to your PC and ship it back to you up the trail.

After seeing my hiking partner go through AAA batteries in his camera like they were candy, I'm even more convinced that the proprietary batteries are the way to go.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++