WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

:banana 2 X 2 Alcohol Stove

The burner is 2 inches in diameter by 3/4 inches high. Has screw on top to provide maximum protection of fiberglass wick during storage and transporting.

The pot stand folded up is 2 inches square. When opened it stands 2 inches high. Has three sides, giving access to burner when necessary without removing pot.

Boils 2 cups of water in 6 minutes, using 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol, under optimum conditions. K-Mart grease pot used for tests, shown in photo of flame pattern.

More info to follow on Monday or Tuesday!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...x2stove007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...x2stove008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...x2stove013.jpg

Images

Cool, Zelph!

what can/tin is the burner & where do you get em?

Cool design Zelph! What are the "hinges" made from?
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Images

BigDawg----The tin comes from an Asian import-exporter, a local importer. He was able to locate a source for me and was able to get 10 samples for me to try out. So far I really like them. Something I think a lot of people would like to see a burner made of. I'm negotiating with him to buy a boat load of them to get a decent price. I 'm thinking of reproducing these to make available to everyone.

JasonKlass----The hinges are made of aluminum rod. I turned them on a small jewelers lathe that I have for putzin around with during the winter months when I'm snow bound. Had them left over from a previous project, but worked just fine for this one. The pot stand measures 3 inches in the diagonal direction corner to corner. So-----a square of 2 inches gives a pot resting surface of 3 inches as compared to a circular pot stand of 2 inch diameter that gives only 2 inches of pot support. A three sidded pot stand has 2 square inches less material than a 2 inch diameter potstand. This makes it more efficient, less material and stores more compactly.

They look pretty cool, would like to hear how they hold up out there on trail, could be a neat addition to my stuff.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by zelph

The hinges are made of aluminum rod. I turned them on a small jewelers lathe that I have for putzin around with during the winter months when I'm snow bound.
    Heh. I assumed the hinges were "J Clip" wire cage clips; didn't even think they'd be anything any different. They are really cheap and commonly available: http://www.klubertanz.com/Catalog.htm has them in the "cage building supplies" section. Pliers to clamp them cost about $8-9, or you can squeeze by with regular slipjoint pliers in a pinch.
    Stickbow
    Americus, GA

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

What's the weight and other specs?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default specs

Burner weighs 26.7 grams

Pot Stand weighs 11.3 grams

Fuel capacity is 1 ounce

1/2 ounce is completly absorbed for safety factor.

Images

Default J-Clips

Heh. I assumed the hinges were "J Clip" wire cage clips; didn't even think they'd be anything any different. They are really cheap and commonly available: http://www.klubertanz.com/Catalog.htm has them in the "cage building supplies" section. Pliers to clamp them cost about $8-9, or you can squeeze by with regular slipjoint pliers in a pinch.
    Stickbow----Thanks for that good tip. I've seen those clips attaches to fabricated wire cages but had not seen any on the shelves anywhere.

I tried locally to locate some but found only ring clips. the klubertanz site has some 5/16 aluminum that I will purchase for this project. They look like the best size.

Putting three of these through some rigorous testing, all is looking really good. I carry one set(burner and potstand) in my pocket all day long while I'm at work and driving to an from. Sturdy little set!!!!!

Images

Default revised potstand

I revised the potstand a little. Added some different hinges, brass plated steel cylinders. I did find and try some J-clips as you suggested Stickbow, but the clips hinder the swiveling of the joints because they produced a ridge within the clip that the wire would get hung up on to often for my liking. Because the new hinges are heavier, I clipped away some of the unnecessary wire from each of the three sections.

Current weight of potstand is now 13.5grams(previous was 11.3)

Total weight of stove is now 1.4 ounces

Collapsed height of potstand is 1/4 inch

combined height for burner and collapsed potstand is 1 inch

Still doing test burns and durability testing

Revised Potstand
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard someone mention my name in one of the threads on making a stove lighter and adding a wick to it , thanks for thinking of me. Those of you that know Oops56 over at HHQ had one of those stoves pictured in a thread showing a full blown turkey sitting in the doorway of the stove. So, his name is written all over that Swiss antique that was highlihted in that thread.

All stoves can increase their efficiency by adding a wick to them except the pressurized ones.

As most of you know, the addition of insulation(the pink stuff) to open flame stoves(the cats etc.) puts a damper on the radical burn rate of the fuel. Wick material(fiberglass cloth) on the other hand, will soak up the fuel(if sufficient amount is used) and release it at a controlled rate.

That radical burn rate is what gives such fast boil times when presented in the correct manner to your pot of water.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

the 2 x 2 stove is comming along just fine. Still have not been able to get a good deal and reliable source for the tins that I'm using. The tins are made especially to be opened and closed often. Notice the knurled edges on the bottom and top to provide non-slip gripping (good to have for gloved hands in cooler weather.)

Images

Default new hinges new look

I've been out and about doing some bushwhacking, having fun.

Saturday, I found an interesting hand held tool at a fleamarket. It's used by florists to apply metal points to the base of flower stems. After putzin around with it I saw a use for it in stove building. I bought it and a box of points.

I removed the pointed section and used the crimping part as hinges for the potstand.

The potstand weighs 10 grams and the burner weighs 17.5 grams. The complete stove wheighs under an ounce.

The stand folds flat 2" X 2" X 1/4".

The burner is 2" in diameter and 3/4" high.

The stove total is 2" X 2" X 1" when folded for storage.

The new hinges hold the postand firmly when opened. One of the photos shows how a Heineken pot fits on the stand.

The burner has been changed. It originally had only fiberglass to absorb the fuel, now it has the same absorbing material used in the "StarLyte" stove.

Here are some photos:

Photo 1 ......Photo 2 .....Photo 3 ......Photo 4 .......Photo 5 .....Photo 6

Photo 7 ......Photo 8 .....Photo 9 ......Photo 10 ......Photo 11

Is it that time of year already.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    Is it that time of year already.

I'm just testing some info that opps 56 gave me on how to get those little photos to show up in a post. Thanks opps, it works!!!!!!!!

Images

another test

Did'nt work!!!!!!
    Last edited by zelph; 07-23-2007 at 16:07.

Images

zelph, unless I'm totally wrong (and that happens occasionally) those tins are available at The Container Store. I bought one exactly like it to make my first alky stove. I think I paid .69 for it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aaroniguana View Post
    zelph, unless I'm totally wrong (and that happens occasionally) those tins are available at The Container Store. I bought one exactly like it to make my first alky stove. I think I paid .69 for it.
    Were the containers 3/4 inch high X 2 inch in diameter? Go measure yours for me please.

How did your first alchy stove work out for you? If you get a chance show us a photo of it.

I'll have to see if there is a "Container Store" locally. I know of one 60 miles from here.

Images

OK so last Labor Day Weekend, we attended the Old Timer's Reunion, a caving event in Elkins, WV. They don't cave at OTR, they sit around and TALK about caving. That's not really my thing so I was prepared. I hit the local KMart and picked up two greasepots, stopped at a vendor and got an esbit wingstove, grabbed my fifth of Jameson and set to work.

I punched 16 jet holes about .25" from the edge of the lid of the tin and then put a snug fitting pad of yellow fiberglass floss into it. Snagged an tomato empty tomato can from someone's trash (chili that night, if I recall) and made a potstand. Put one ounce of alky in the tin and one esbit tab on the wingstove, three cups of water in each greasepot (I like coffee wth breakfast and tea with dinner) and with the help of my friend Garfield lit them simultaneously.

The Jameson hit me like an ash bat before I could take any notes but I'm almost certain the alky stove boiled before the esbit. I think. But the bug bit me as hard as the Jameson and I've been addicted ever since, luckily I've yet to get so drunk while stovebuilding that I snip off a finger with my Handy Andys but there's always another weekend on the horizon...

Here's a pic of the tin next to a minicat I built for a weekend in PA (for scale). You can see it doesnt have the knurling that yours has but the size is correct.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/file...8/DSCF0118.JPG

Not going to OTR this Labor Day Weekend. I'll be hiking the Catskills around Saugerties. And listening to old timers TALK about thru hiking, I'm sure. That's why it's called "Labor Day". You're not supposed to be doing stuff.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aaroniguana View Post
    OK so last Labor Day Weekend, we attended the Old Timer's Reunion, a caving event in Elkins, WV.
    I punched 16 jet holes about .25" from the edge of the lid of the tin and then put a snug fitting pad of yellow fiberglass floss into it. Snagged an tomato empty tomato can from someone's trash (chili that night, if I recall) and made a potstand. Put one ounce of alky in the tin and one esbit tab on the wingstove, three cups of water in each greasepot (I like coffee wth breakfast and tea with dinner) and with the help of my friend Garfield lit them simultaneously.

Here's a pic of the tin next to a minicat I built for a weekend in PA (for scale). You can see it doesnt have the knurling that yours has but the size is correct.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/file...8/DSCF0118.JPG

You know how it is when you find a container that seems to fit all the requirements of a stove burner. Thats how I felt about this one. The screw on lid was something that was of interest to me and the knurled edges looked kinda neat. I thought that I had found the perfect container. Then I needed to have a potstand to go along with it. The buzz at the time was fold-up flat, compact, space saver, etc. I was'nt satisfied with the rigidity of the stand until I used the clips that I've found this past saturday. The clips allow for easy fold down of the sections and yet allows for good stability when opened to support the pot.

The tin you used looks like a good candidate for this stove arrangement also. I'll have to see if I can find them locally.

I've assembled 8 of these stoves to be put on ebay at auction. One or two indicated an interest in having one.

Added this photo of man made cave(mine shaft/limestone mine) air comming out of it was 55 degrees. Outside temp was about 78. air felt cooooooool. Click on this one to enlarge. (oops56, got it down good now)
    Last edited by zelph; 07-24-2007 at 10:27.

Images

Zelph,

aaroniguana's tin looks to be made of steel. Is your's aluminum?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

I hope it's steel... If not it's bad aluminum. Forgot to mention I tested them in a steady rain last year...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++