WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Default N.Y. hiker finds local man dead on Appalachian Trail at Lehigh Gap

Just found this item this morning

http://www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/...890.xml&coll=2
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Default update

Update: Body Found on Appalachian Trail
    Story posted on 2006-08-08 22:45:00
    A body discovered on the Appalachian Trail in Lehigh Township in Northampton County earlier today is that of a 64-year-old Warner Allen of Orefield.
    There's no word yet on the cause of death , but investigators are saying it doesn't look suspicioous.
    We'll continue bringing you the latest on this story as soon as we get it.
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Prayers for the family and the hiker.

Default i know what happened, i think

he was chasing his dog maby.and possibly fell.if this is the case it would make a strong case for leashes.i know blue mountain and its not cool to bushwack without proper boots.
    matthewski

Images

Didn't see anything about it in this morning's paper - And I live in the Lehigh Valley!!!! Sheeesh.... Prayers to his loved ones.

I've once got in a little jam up there, bushwacking along the old closed route and had a few terryfiing moments before I finally got back down.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I had to post this because it really is quite a story!

N.Y. hiker finds local man dead on Appalachian Trail at Lehigh Gap

Wednesday, August 09, 2006By KURT BRESSWEIN
    The Express-Times

LEHIGH TWP. | A hiker discovered a North Whitehall Township man's body about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday along the Appalachian Trail on Blue Mountain.
    The through-hiker from New York said he found the body of Warner Allen, 64, and the man's dog on the mountainside at Lehigh Gap east of Route 248. The hiker ran down to the state road and flagged down a motorist to dial 911.

Northampton County Coroner Zachary Lysek said the death is not suspicious and is being investigated as due to natural causes. Lysek said the body was there for only a short period of time.
    Lehigh and Northampton county officials reached the body by noon. Initial emergency radio reports indicated the man had an unspecified weapon with him.

The body lay about 35 feet below the crest of an escarpment at the foot of a steep rock face. Loose boulders and stones, steep terrain and dense trees complicated emergency workers' efforts.
    Northampton County Coroner Zachary Lysek arrived about 12:45 p.m. at a trail parking lot several hundred yards down the mountain from the body. He did not return telephone messages seeking information on his investigation.

Two visibly upset women and a man arrived between 1:30 and 2 p.m. to meet with authorities. They were unavailable for comment.
    While heading to the scene about 11:30 a.m., a Northampton Regional Emergency Medical Services ambulance was struck by a Toyota Tacoma truck which then rolled over, police said.

The ambulance, driven by 47-year-old Walnutport resident Douglas Gernerd, was heading east on Lehigh Drive making a left into the Appalachian Trail parking lot, police said. The ambulance was passed by the Tacoma driven by Grant Kuntz, 52, of Bowmanstown, Pa. Police said the truck struck the EMS vehicle and then rolled over.

Kuntz was airlifted to St. Luke's Hospital, Fountain Hill. Kuntz was listed in fair condition Tuesday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.
    Authorities closed the trail to hikers throughout the afternoon. Lehigh Gap is known among Appalachian Trail hikers for its acres of barren mountainside caused by nearly a century of zinc smelting at Palmerton. Crossing the gap, caused by the Lehigh River, requires a steep descent and ascent.

The 2,174-mile Appalachian Trail runs from Spring Mountain, Ga., to Mount Katahdin, Maine. Its halfway point is Pine Grove Furnace State Park, about 30 miles southwest of Harrisburg.
    Reporter Kurt Bresswein can be reached at 610-867-5000 or by e-mail at [email protected].
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed
    ... I've once got in a little jam up there, bushwacking along the old closed route and had a few terryfiing moments before I finally got back down.
    I guess we'll find out if he fell. The article isn't clear on that point. It's a steep climb, and there are a couple spots where a mis-step will send you 20' straight down onto rocks. The blue-blazed winter trail gets you to the top a lot more safely.

Images

I once went South from Lehigh Gap towards Outerbridge Shelter, but this guy was north (or, east) of the Gap, right? That's the real difficult section, right?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow
    I once went South from Lehigh Gap towards Outerbridge Shelter, but this guy was north (or, east) of the Gap, right? That's the real difficult section, right?
    The really steep climb / descent at Lehigh Gap is trail north of the Route 873 (?) bridge. NOBO climb, SOBO descent. Once you do the NOBO climb, you are on the ridge above Palmerton, which is the famous "moonwalk".

Maybe he had a heart attack if he was exerting himself going uphill beyond what his body normally could handle. Wouldn't be the first time. In any case, it's a sad event.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The body lay about 35 feet below the crest of an escarpment at the foot of a steep rock face.
    Sounds like he fell off a steep rock face and landed 35' below. The question is what caused him to fall.

Holy crap. I just hicked that Sunday. Maybe I'll be a suspect. The question on what made him fall? Well Its pretty bad through there. I feel I'm in good shape and I was breathing heavy and holding on for dear life. He could have just slipped and fell. Too bad though. Its sad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    Sounds like he fell off a steep rock face and landed 35' below. The question is what caused him to fall.
    I keep waiting for Ridge to post and blame it on the dog.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    i know blue mountain and its not cool to bushwack without proper boots.
    just as an example;
    i bushwhack almost exclusively, throughout new england,never use boots.
    i use new balance trail runners without problem,even in the toughest of places. cliffy, femur eating, mossy, swampy, stick forests,thick young spruce, krummoltz, black spruce.

El Sordo
    Images

Default Bad doggie!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    I keep waiting for Ridge to post and blame it on the dog.
    Scroll up Skids, looks like someone already beat him to the punch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll
    Scroll up Skids, looks like someone already beat him to the punch.
    Crap. Scooped by Matthewski.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

I never liked that section.
    It's eerie because its so barren.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Images

Lets hold the careless speculation at least for a day. The reason the article is unclear on this is because it's UNKNOWN at this time.

There will be plenty of time later for careless speculation.

Prayers for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    I never liked that section.
    It's eerie because its so barren.
    Hmmm...one of my favorites. Great views, great stealth sites, very nice breezes in the fall...fireworks in the summer. I agree it is unfortunate about the zinc thing, but its starting to make a comeback, thank you Dan Kunkle.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    Hmmm...one of my favorites. Great views, great stealth sites, very nice breezes in the fall...fireworks in the summer. I agree it is unfortunate about the zinc thing, but its starting to make a comeback, thank you Dan Kunkle.
    Let me qualify that the above positive remarks refer to the stretch getting closer to Little Gap where it is very grassy, lightly wooded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++