WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Windfarm hearings begin

In Wednesday's Portland Press Herald. The number one columnist in the number one paper in the State.

Opinions of the column do not necessarily reflect the views of the person putting it on WB.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=438 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=2><!-- following tags are for harvester --><!--BSHTAG--><!-- PARSER:maine--><!--COPYRIGHT:Copyright 2006 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.--><!--AUTHOR: Portland Press Herald --><!--TITLE: For clean air, wind farm looks good --><!--DATELINE: DATELINE --><!--CT PROVIDER: Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc. --><!-- following tag is for harvester --><!--storystart--><!-- date: Day, month, year -->Wednesday, August 2, 2006
    <!-- KICKER -->
    <!-- IF COLUMNIST -->COLUMN: Bill Nemitz

<!-- IF EDITORIAL --><!-- headline follows. -->For clean air, wind farm looks good
    <!-- deck (not summary deck) follows. --><!-- summary -->
    <!-- byline, credit follows. Byline in all-caps --><!-- copyright line follows -->Copyright © 2006 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.
    </TD><TD> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=128>
    <!-- email to friend link follows -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>

</TD></TR><!-- RESISTANCE IS FUTILE --></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END ad-photo table -->The view is admittedly one of the most breathtaking for hikers in Maine's western mountains. But Ed Miller, who wouldn't mind seeing 30 windmills sprout atop Redington Township, is more concerned about Mainers who already can't breathe.
    "We're here to prevent lung disease and promote lung health," Miller, the head of the American Lung Association of Maine, said Tuesday. "We need to stop talking about green energy and start doing it."
    If only Maine's environmental community agreed.
    That's right. When the Maine Land Use Regulation Commission kicks off its three-day hearing today on Maine Mountain Power's proposed $130 million Redington Wind Farm, a bevy of environmental groups will be on record opposing the deal for two reasons.
    One is that the project could make life uncomfortable for the Bicknell thrush, the northern bog lemming and a handful of other critters that now inhabit the site. The other is that 30 windmills would spoil the view (gasp) for hikers on the Appalachian Trail.
    "This is one of those places where the scenic environment is of a completely undeveloped nature," said J.T. Horn of the Appalachian Trail Conference. "As you hike through there, you really can't see any permanent development at all."
    But you can feel the near-constant wind. And that's why, with all due respect to the ATC, the Maine Audubon Society and other groups opposing the wind farm, it's time to take a deep breath and reset our environmental priorities. (While we're at it, we might take a poll on whether a clean, green wind farm truly constitutes an eyesore.)
    Horn is right when he argues that the U-shaped section of trail that hooks around the wind-farm site would be forever altered by 30 windmills, each 256 feet tall with three 144-foot blades, rising from Redington Pond Range and nearby Black Nubble Mountain. And Maine Audubon is understandably concerned for animals, some of them rare if not endangered, living in the vicinity.
    But from the American Lung Association of Maine's vantage point, the looming debate is about a lot more than a tiny slice of paradise and a handful of humans lucky enough to hike through it.
    "This is not just a local issue," Miller said. "All Maine people have a stake in the Redington Wind Farm Project because all Maine people are affected by air pollution. Even if you do not have asthma or lung disease, chances are you know someone who does."
    He's not just blowing smoke. According to Maine Mountain Power, the wind farm would remove 800,000 pounds of pollutants from the air each day - the same as leaving 26,000 cars parked in the driveway - and churn out enough electricity for 40,000 Maine homes.
    What's more, Miller says, the Redington project should be only the beginning. If Maine and the rest of the country are serious about cooling down the planet and cleaning up the atmosphere, he said, we need to start putting our money where the wind is. And here in Maine, that means the mountains.
    That's why Miller will be in those mountains today - the hearing at Sugarloaf USA will be only about four miles from the Redington site - attempting to broaden LURC's horizon.
    "If we don't do anything within the next 10 years," he said, "the haze in that area will be so bad you wouldn't even see the windmills."

Columnist Bill Nemitz can be contacted at 791-6323 or at:
    [email protected]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Last edited by dixicritter; 08-04-2006 at 08:16. Reason: to remove the ads
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Images

I wouldn't have a big problem with having a windmill "ruin "my view; sure rather see that than a smokestack on a power plant. It seems to me that one of the reasons for hiking to begin with is to see a slice of our country. A few windmills compared to hundreds of miles of trees and rocks may be a welcome change to some. It would at least demonstrate to the serious tree hugger that other options were being explored.

Only one of the seven wind power projects in view of the AT in New England is being opposed. This one wants to develop already protected land that is a rare and remote mountaintop habitat. It represents a "foot in the door" to open other protected Maine areas, perhaps even in state parks like Baxter, to commercial development.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

AT, ECT, LT, PCT Thru-hiker JojoSmiley's Avatar

It seems to me that it is a tradeoff for pollutant free power and loss of a bit of a view that may not be so unpleasant as folks seem to think. I also thing critters would adjust to the windmills, eventually. I love the wide open views in Maine but would not be opposed to better health for the inhabitants.
    Jojo Smiley :)
    Savor the Moments!

http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/trailhead/006598.html

August 03, 2006
    Right idea, wrong place
    There was big talking going on last night at Sugarloaf about the proposed wind turbine project to be located just a few miles to the west on the crest of the Redington Mountains.
    The folks at LURC, who will ultimately give the thumbs up or down to the project, apparently got quite an earful from both sides.
    The issue has caused many of us who care deeply about Maine's environment while recognizing our need for cleaner domestic energy to do some heavy thinking and soul searching.
    At what price do we give the nod to wind towers on mountaintops in sight of the Appalachian Trail?
    At what point do we seriously say "enough" to OPEC and steer a new path toward renewable energy sources?
    At the very least, the matter is forcing us to confront reality. Our choices are here. Now. Amid global energy instability in an increasingly uncertain world.
    Scott Cowger is right. This will be a "watershed event" for us in Maine.
    But I don't believe for a moment that its all or nothing. If it doesn't happen at Redington it's not the end for wind power in Maine.

Will there be wind power in Maine? Maybe. But where?Your backyard? Mine? Who's?
    I no longer support this project.
    But I do support wind power development in other areas of Maine. Along the coast. In blueberry barrens. On farms. In more developed areas.
    There are other options besides our western mountains, where wind turbines would cause enormous and unacceptable visual pollution.
    But then, there's going to be visual effects regardless of the location. And that will have to be debated.
    Hopefully, we can and will agree on acceptable sites and make the bold move of developing wind energy here in Maine. Sooner rather than later.
    But unfortunately, Redington isn't the place.
    What are your thoughts?

edit: that's some stock photo, it's not from anywhere in New England
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

That last line in the article:
    "If we don't do anything within the next 10 years," he said, "the haze in that area will be so bad you wouldn't even see the windmills."
    Although perhaps a bit of exaggeration, makes you think about what will be going on 20 or 30 years from now. Except for the view pollution, windmills are clean.
    Who isn't tired of paying record amounts of money for their energy costs knowing that the coal, oil, nuclear energy are all big time pollutants. I hate putting money in that pot. But of course Exxon loves it, aye?
    I imagine they (EXXON) will be lobbying against this one also.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I would be interested to know how Maine's pollution compares to that of the rest of the country.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    I would be interested to know how Maine's pollution compares to that of the rest of the country.
    As far as "Hazardous Air Pollutants" go, Maine and Vermont are the cleanest the AT runs thru. PA, NJ, and NY the dirtiest. Rest of the states are somewhere in-between.

http://www.scorecard.org/env-releases/hap/index.tcl

Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe I am missing something here.

The windmills they want to put in Maine, we do not need here in Maine. It is just someone trying to make big money off the windmills and that is there only goal.

They say the windmills will cause less pollution. We do not have any coal burning plants in Maine. The hydro power Maine uses does not cause pollution So how will it change our pollution now if we are not creating any?

Maine would not benefit from the windmills because as of now hydro power does not pollute. So once again how would it cut down on pollution here in Maine?

The electricity that the windmills create will only power certain areas of Maine and as I said we already use Hydro power. They are limited to distance as to how far they can supply power.

They need to put these windmills in places where there are coal burning plants to cut down on pollution in that area instead of putting them in places where they are not needed. They preach it will cut down on pollution. But how is it helping if they do not put them in the right places.

and not in place to do not have pollution.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

That's what I thought, thanks, Troll, Screw the Windmills! Unless, you enjoy tilting at windmills.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Wind-farms are all over CA, they look interesting and are novel at first, but you soon tire seeing them and wonder just how much good they are doing.

Maine is probably the last state that needs them, but I'd still hate to see them from the trail outside of Harrisburg, PA, one of the dirtiest areas the AT runs near, and needs something to clean up the pollution.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I have two questions for those who know more about windmills / clean energy than I do:

Is it feasible to locate windmills off shore on platforms? This would seem to be an ideal solution if it can be done and they could be located far enough out to be out of sight.

Has any research been done on harnessing the energy generated by the natural currents in the oceans to generate power for horribly polluted areas like Los Angles?

froliking dinosaur, i live in massachusetts and there was a plan for windmills off shore on platforms. that champion of justice ted kennedy started crying about his view being ruined! oy vay we'll see how this one goes

Images

I don't mind a windmill on top of a mountain so long as it doesn't block the signal from the cell tower.

Note: I am a Whooshie.

Default Developing a Windmill Frame of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Maybe I am missing something here.

The windmills they want to put in Maine, we do not need here in Maine. It is just someone trying to make big money off the windmills and that is there only goal.
    My mother (83 and savvy) said that Maine will sell the electricity produced by the windmills to NYC, who, as we are all well aware due to recent news articles, needs more electricity. It will NOT be used In Place Of coal burning power plants. It will just be ADDED to the Power Plant production. So there is NO REDUCTION in Pollution, just more Power for a Power Hungry City (and State).

Let New York put up windmills in their own front yard or beaches or along the Interstates. (18 wheelers make a lot of wind, harness that.)

It is indeed greed that motivates developers of windmill farms in Maine.

HapKiDo
    nearly 62 and nearly retired.
    HapKiDo
    Priority Change in 2007
    GA>ME2008
    If the weather cooperates!

Images

Default Troll

I couldn't have said it much better. I would rather look at windmills all day long at my home than to ruin that view on an occasional backpacking trip.
    Greg P.

Images

A Scam with SCARE tactics....all for $$$$$
    I am all for Green Energy ,but why on the Mt tops ,why in our National Parks??? Why not build them on top of existing Buildings in NYC if the power is going there anyways?Why not bulldoze all the gettos in Major Cities and put them there ....(alot of space openings here in Mi.)
    NOT IN OUR MOUNTAINS!
    By the way ....
    "My next car will be CORN FED!"
    SCREW the east and their oil......
    PEACE!
    Fishinfred
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HapKiDo
    .... {put up windmills} along the Interstates. (18 wheelers make a lot of wind, harness that.)
    That just might work !!!! It would be clean energy generated in an environment that has already been spoiled by the construction of an interstate and would negate the need to build addition roads to get to and maintain the windmills. The wind would be nearly constant.

Images

An added thought re: windmills along interstates - electric cars could be fueled by batteries that were exchanged at stations up and down the interstates - batteries that were charged by electricity generated from the windmills along the interstate. Talk about clean energy. {I expect a hit man sent by the big oil interest to be at my doorstep soon}

Default several things...

maine draws power from a number of resources.

a number of wind power plants are being built in pa and wv. in areas where old coal mines used to be. a spanish turbine manufacturer is currently building a factory in southwestern pa to supply these projects.

personally, i am more concerned for the ecosystem in question far more than one's view. (bog lemmings, bicknell's thrush and krumholtz areas are highly sensitive).

although i agree cities are where they should go up this would only work in places where temperatures never drop below 32 degrees.

there are wind classes that certain landscapes attain based an yearly averages, simply placing them along interstates would render many of them inefficient.

although me and vt may share the cleanest air on the AT, we have had some of the most acidic rain in the country, due to pollutants pumped out from the industrial belt, and it effects our soil.

i don't know who cmp or their distibution competition sells thier power to. i wouldn't be surprised if they did sell out of state. a few short years ago, cmp was a provider and not a distributor and used to advertise conservation with deals on florescent light bulbs. then maine deregulated and they became a distributor and started advertising air conditioners. the question i want to know is what are the charging out of state users, because i'll bet we are paying more. this may not still be true but five years ago maine was paying the highest per kilowatt in the country.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++