WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Port Clinton

Images

Default SRT--Bartram Trail Section

An off-road route currently exists from Port Clinton to State Street in Hamburg. Someone who wants off at Cabela's should get off at Kernsville Dam trailhead and turn right on Industrial Drive. Take the same route to Tilden Ridge.

This thread should begin with a disclaimer since much of the information is dated. Incorrect claims about services at Hamburg is why I once linked ALDHA's Companion.
    Last edited by emerald; 03-20-2011 at 20:43.

Default Port Clinton, april 2011

Port Clinton, not so hiker friendly. Came to town for maildrop, missed po hours by 10min, had to stay and wait til monday morning. Went to the PC hotel, was not greeted well. Came into the bar area with my dry shoes and asked for a room, was talked down to like I was a child. Got a room it was clean, had fan, and cable tv. 10 dollar deposit for key and towel. Shower was nasty, wear your crocs. Peanut store is a must go to, very nice and friendly ladies that run it. They have every candy/ nut mix you can imagine. Bar staff became more friendly after I ordered 2 meals and some pints.

My advice, mail drop it, send your cleanest hiker into bar and get food and beer to go. Cabelas is down the road, call them ask for camping dept, explain you (and friends) need resupply, they will most likely send a van to pick you up. Port clinton is not a place to spend a lot of time or money. Just sharing my experience, hope it helps.

Images

Thumbs up Sage advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwha View Post
    Port clinton is not a place to spend a lot of time or money.
    That's right, take care of business, get back on the trail and keep hiking.

For those of you who don't know there is a new Walmart across the road from Cabelas and a WAWA will be opening soon right off RT61 on the between Port Clinton and Cabelas

Images

Port Clinton is a good pace for a mail drop since the trail goes right past the post office. Which is fine as long as you arrive before the post office closes.

Panzer

Images

Also, I have no sympathy for stinky hikers who have to be told to shower before being allowed to congregate with normal humans.
    Its kind of pathetic that there has to be a rule that hikers must take a shower.

Panzer

Went thru in '09. The outfitter was limited in re-supply and not too helpful. They did have ice cream bars though!. Top O' Gothics bought a new pair of Vasque boots there and seemed to be happy. The hotel was full when I got there, though Stats and the others seemed to be having a good time at the bar; I only heard good things about the hotel. I walked on to Hamburg - that was a nightmare highway, narrow (made narrower by construction), high speeds and lots of trucks - to stay at the Microtel - pricey, but nice. Lots of people stayed at the Pavillion and seemed happy with that. The candy store is, however, not to be missed. Nice town, but probably will walk on past next time (with a quick candy stop).

Images

Port Clinton should be viewed as a small trail town(only a 132 households in the town). It does not have everything a hiker needs but it has some things like post office, hotel, bar, restaurants, candy store, free pavilion to stay at and from time to time a few trail angles.

There are many many other services nearby in Hamburg that require a short trip by vehicle. don't try to walk the highway. its nuts.

Panzer

Images

Default Outfitters at SR61

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    The outfitter was limited in re-supply and not too helpful.
    If the post refers to Ye Olde Backpacker, readers should be advised it is no longer in business. Some may find the same applies to Cabela's, depending upon what they may wish to acquire.

Images

Default Current information

Hikers should consult the current edition of one of the handbooks for current information about hiker services at this location. Quite a range of services are available and more are being added all the time.
    Last edited by emerald; 04-18-2011 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    For those of you who don't know there is a new Walmart across the road from Cabelas and a WAWA will be opening soon right off RT61 on the between Port Clinton and Cabelas
    Good to know. There also had been a previous thread about the Walmart coming to town:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58786

Images

That was just another Walmart bashing thread that had little to do with Tilden Ridge and ended up getting transferred to a non-AT forum because of it.

If people want to actually learn anything about the Tilden Ridge store, they should read what Reading Eagle has published or go there.
    Last edited by emerald; 04-19-2011 at 11:48.

I rode the rail-trail yesterday from Kernsville reservoir to the AT crossing (then I got to carry 3 bikes down the eroded steps and across the rail yard, fortunately short).

This is a new rail trail that crosses the AT just Trail-south of the rail yard (coming from town, need to climb up to it).

I observed a social trail from the rail trail (compass north side of rail trail underpass under PA 61) onto PA 61 west shoulder which would be a shorter and nicer walking approach to the greater Cabela's/Walmart/Wawa area than trying to walk the whole way on PA 61 especially over the PA 61 river bridge. The new rail trail and the social trail puts you out on the big road on the correct side of all of railroad, river, and road.

The PC Hotel has great food as advertised, the older couple behind the bar would look past you if you tried to pay at the wrong side of the bar but our waitress was friendly enough. The Peanut Shop (candy store) was pretty impressive, not sure how many hikers would be buying a 25# coconut cream Easter egg but they had it, they impressed my wife who makes confectionery by the carload lot.

I second/third the call to put a sticky post at the beginning of this thread as an alert to outdated/inaccurate information. Or, I'm not sure what happened to emerald but maybe he or another true local should call out posts by number that are superseded.

Images

The rail-trail isn't really "new" (BMECC has had hikes on it for over a decade), but it doesn't get a lot of publicity. It's destined to be a part of the Schuylkill River Trail that will run from Philadelphia upstream to the Pottsville area (and beyond via a few spur-trails), but parts of the system have yet to be built.

I've been trying to get in touch with emerald for a few weeks now, but I fear the worst, as some of my research indicates that he may have died during the last year! The last post that WhiteBlaze listed for him was last September or October, and other sources indicate the possible existence of a death certificate. More on this later, as I have the chance to do some more digging around....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Port Clinton Hotel report;
    Food is great.
    Rooms suck. A double room means one double size bed.
    Laundry room in the basement.
    Next time I'll stay at the Microtel.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Update: There is a walmart less than 2 miles from trail as well as Cabelas. Cabelas offers some shuttle services and the have a buffet on the weekends. The outfitter in town is closed. For the most part people are having bad experiences in PC because they are going to the wrong places. The PC hotel has good food, just not a pleasant dining room, order to go and go down to the PC Fire Company. Very friendly locals, very cheap alcohol, air conditioned, dont worry about the smell you will def exit smelling like smoke not sweat. The pavilion is pretty laid back. I live adjacent to fire company and often provide free shuttling to hamburg or the stores in tilden. Ive heard some horror stories from other residents tho. Please dont swim in our pools, especially in the middle of the night (many residents are avid gun enthusiasts). Dont beg for ciggarettes, the fire company sells them buy a pack.
    Some friendlier places to stop:
    Port Clinton Fire Company
    Port CLinton Barber shop: Owner/operator Frank is very nice and will keep you gabbing about trail life and music for hours. Stop in on saturday afternoon for jam sessions and haircuts

Jenn Pharr Davis writes about Port Clinton in her first book, Becoming Odyssa. It sort of reads like a Stephen King novel.

Hey Y'all

Does anyone know anything about the Union House B&B in Port Clinton?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Hey Y'all

Does anyone know anything about the Union House B&B in Port Clinton?
    Union house is OK. Not my first recommendation for a hungry/thirsty hiker. There is a decent amount of restraunts within walking distance especially if you decide to use the bartram bailey trail.....PM me if anyone needs shuttle or advice
    Local Resident Port Clintion hiker...

Journal Entries
    Images

Walked thru in 1980. Just stopped at PO for resupply from my support person and moved on. Everyone was nice even though I stunk.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++