WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

this is just a thought but has anyone ever used http://www.freecycle.org/
    I use it where I live and there is a guy who gets used computers and fixes them up. He then gives them away to the first person who repsonds.

I have used that site to give things away and get items that I need. You never know what people are giving away.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Default Upgrading

One of the problems with just upgrading the motherboard is that it doesn't solve the operating system problems she has with her current computer or even answer compatibility issues. Why don't we just consider either waiting for a donated computer to come along or saving up for her to get a new computer? I just ordered a Dell for my company and got a 3 GHz loaded for around $500 with a 4-year warranty. Also, why don't we organize someone on the board here to be a keeper of the funds until we have enough?

Not sure of the problems she's having, but if you could wipe out ME and do a fresh install of XP, that would be a nice start. ME sucks!

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill
    Not sure of the problems she's having, but if you could wipe out ME and do a fresh install of XP, that would be a nice start. ME sucks!
    Working on it, Sherrill. She's in the process of backing up files so we can do that at some point. If a spare >20Gb drive comes along before a motherboard replacement, we'll go ahead with a reinstall (just backup to the new drive, or install XP and programs to the new drive and use the old drive as the backup).

And I agree, ME sucks. ME on top of 98 (which is what she's got now) sucks even worse!
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Default Status??

I have access to a fairly modern 2.4 GHz laptop with XP installed on it. Was wondering what the status of Mary's computer was and if she would have use for it? Anyone who is "in the know" please PM me or reply to this thread. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++