WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

One of my favorites to live by:

You don't stop playing because you get old,
    you get old because you stop playing.
    -- Anonymous

I keep telling myself that each time a 25-year old blows by me on the soccer field.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

My dad is 17 years older than his ex-wife. It was a bit awkward when my young teenage mind realized that she was 17 years older than me.

Images

My fellow SOBOs are mostly 20-somethings. But they're great.

BTW, I'm at the outfitter in Greenville, ME...

I've done the 100-Mile Wilderness. Yay!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The male dino is nearly 18 yrs older than the female dino and some of the male dino's kids are pretty close the female dinos age. It took a while for the kids and I to work thru that. Some are more like cousins or siblings to me than stepkids. I've been around for a long time so all but the oldest grandkids have always regarded me as their grandmother. The three oldest grandkids (and their children) call me 'Uncle Mamaw'. This is the result of a conversation with them years ago in which the almost teen kids noted I was too young to be their grandmother. I suggested they call me 'aunt'. They said no so I jokingly said for them to call me 'uncle' and Uncle Mamaw was born.

My son has a new stepmom that is four yrs older than him - he's struggling with how to relate to her. It isn't that he doesn't like her, it's that she's more like a peer than a parental figure.

I started long distance hiking when I was 44, which seems like yesterday, but it ain't. Hoefully, I have a few more thru-hikes left. Trust me when I say the alternatives suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer
    Imelda's 50 years older than me and next time you see her hiking in the woods naked you better just acknowledge her and keep going............yes sir she's a hottie for sure................
    She's 106 and still hiking. Good for her.

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Default I still thik I'm 12

I wouldn't know how old I am if it weren't for WB...just look into the upper right corner of a post an say O MY GOLLY no way am I (upper right)!!!
    Kevin

When I was a kid in elementary school, I realized some of us were already “old.” Now, approaching 64, it’s a bit odd that I, and I’m thankful that many of my acquaintances, have remained “young.” I often meet graduating high school students who are much older.

How old can any of us really be, who still enjoy wandering about in nature?
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman
    I'm a 31 year old fart. And proud of it.
    Amen, QHShowoman. I'm a 37 year-old fart, and proud of it!

Images

The difference between you young old-farts and the mature old-farts: Young old-farts are proud to be old farts. Mature old-farts are just glad to be alive.

Frolicking Dinosaurs,

You advised (Post #50), “The difference between you young old-farts and the mature old-farts: Young old-farts are proud to be old farts. Mature old-farts are just glad to be alive.”

Whichever of you-plural is speaking, I think your observation is incomplete, a bit off the mark.

My mother-in-law has Alzheimer’s disorder. She’s alive. She’s no longer glad about much of anything.

I thoroughly enjoy being “young at heart.” I prefer to be dead before reaching my mother-in-law’s position.

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vi+
    Frolicking Dinosaurs,

You advised (Post #50), “The difference between you young old-farts and the mature old-farts: Young old-farts are proud to be old farts. Mature old-farts are just glad to be alive.”

Whichever of you-plural is speaking, I think your observation is incomplete, a bit off the mark.

My mother-in-law has Alzheimer’s disorder. She’s alive. She’s no longer glad about much of anything.

I thoroughly enjoy being “young at heart.” I prefer to be dead before reaching my mother-in-law’s position.
    Vi+, I understand your position, and feel for you in your situation. <big hug> Alzheimer's is rough. There has been some in my family, and people I know. I don't think the Dino meant any disrespect.

Images

No disrespect intended to Vi or the elderly. My mother has Alzheimer's as well. We are rapidly approaching the day when she does not know who we are fulltime. Given a choice, I feel sure my mother would much rather be hiking in the clouds than to be here without her mental abilities. I certainly would rather hike on to the great beyond than to have my body here and my mind elsewhere or absent. I amend my comment to: “The difference between you young old-farts and the mature old-farts: Young old-farts are proud to be old farts. Healthy and mature old-farts are just glad to be alive.”

Frieden and Frolicking Dinosaurs,

I wondered if my post was a bit shrill after I posted it. Let me attempt to clarify (Post #51).

It’s not a matter of respect or disrespect.

Most people I’ve observed to whom the term “old fart” has become attached, seem to have lost much of their humor, their perspective has become more rigid, are less forgiving of others, and lack joy in their day-to-day lives.

My objection was to the notion, which I presume was inadvertent, that after the passage of a qualifying number of birthdays we are satisfied to have a beating heart.

I want more. I have more. I doubt there is a hiker who hasn’t more.

Sorry if I seemed critical. Such was not my intention.

well, this thread has traveled a meandering route, taking several sidetrails off the original intent. its always an interesting journey when that happens.

i dont know if i have some obligation to declare this thread's destination as "met" or if it needs to travel on at its own pace and direction.

i will leave it with this last thought. i hear this somewhere ive now lost:
    days seem to go slower by when your young because every day is filled with new wonders and first times. as we age we tend to go thru days that are much the same as the one before, and times seems to fly by. therefore the secret to slowing down time is to always be learning new stuff, always trying new things.

im gone.

Vi+ "Most people I’ve observed to whom the term “old fart” has become attached, seem to have lost much of their humor, their perspective has become more rigid, are less forgiving of others, and lack joy in their day-to-day lives."
    Your distorted outlook might have something to do with the fact that you don't know me-I consider myself somewhat of an authority on the subject. I have gone by the name "The Old Fhart" since 1988 and even then I was older that the magic age Mowgli mentioned for being an "old fart." The only people who think I've lost my sense of humor just don't understand mine because they lack a humor gene. Still I fiorgive you and wish you joy in your day-to-day life.

Images

Old Fhart said what I was thinking. I am surrounded by people in their twilight years who love living and life. I forget that some people decide they are too old to have fun. Our grandkids call us the dinosaurs or the old farts. They often lament that the old farts can run circle around them.

My aunt is 89, can barely walk with a walker and has a host of medical problems, but it hasn't stopped her from living each day with happiness, joy and humor. My guess is she will check out when one of her famous practical jokes backfires... and she wouldn't want it any other way.

Old age, imfirmity or disablity is not an valid excuse to roll over and play dead (unless you see a bear, of course).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    I started long distance hiking when I was 44, which seems like yesterday, but it ain't. Hoefully, I have a few more thru-hikes left. Trust me when I say the alternatives suck.
    Yes Sly---alternatives REALLY suck.
    At least your friends don't.

I have a thru hike dream myself.

John
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Age mix

I don't have data to support this, but my sense of the 2000 hikers is as follows: the largest proportion were in their 20s - early 30s; the next largest was seniors or folks who had taken early retirement from work; those in the range in between, me included, were in the minority. I guessed it was because they had family and work responsibilities which didn't easily allow them 6 months away. I also guessed that by far the largest proportion of people leaving the Trail were from the younger group.

Quote Originally Posted by frieden
    Amen, QHShowoman. I'm a 37 year-old fart, and proud of it!
    My old fartdom was especially prevalent when, two weekends ago, I was at a picnic hosted by my 29 year-old sister and her 30-something year old husband. At some point, they brought out a custom-made table for "beer pong," in which all of their friends delighted. I sat there bewildered and wondered if this was something I missed out on for attending a women's college!
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++