WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default so what is the age mix of thruhikers?

does anyone know? i was asked an interesting...if not quite pc question regarding young college agers as compared to "grown-ups" i.e. old farts

The ATC just published last year's stats in the new issue of their magazine. I don't have it in front of me, but if I remember correctly, most thruhikers (at least the ones that had their thru recorded by the ATC) were between 20-30.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

thanks. i will look for that. it must be in a new-new issue as i dont remember it....

thanks for responding. so where does a thirtysomething fall in? with the college kids or the "grownups"?

I just go the issue in the mail yesterday, so it is definitely "new-new"!

Johnny:

For the record. Anyone 44 years old is definitely an "old fart."
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

20-30 is the biggest group followed closely by 50 to 60 year olds.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

i ran home at lunch but my copy hadnt come yet.
    i will align myself with the 50 to 60 group then

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Johnny:For the record. Anyone 44 years old is definitely an "old fart."
    44 is not an old fart.

well a dinosaur oughta know. but when i read the trailjournals of some of the younger hikers i have to say i feel a disconnect from them. now, whether that makes me an old fart or them immature crumb crunchers, i cant say.

Don't tell "Wall" that 44 is an old fart.
    He is 45 and was the 1st non-Asian finisher in the Phuket International Marathon 2 weeks ago. (that includes all age groups)

I will be 17. And so will my friend. Everyone else in ym class will still be sitting in classromms and I will be getting a much better education from all you "old farts"http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest
    thanks. i will look for that. it must be in a new-new issue as i dont remember it....

thanks for responding. so where does a thirtysomething fall in? with the college kids or the "grownups"?
    Pls don't take this the wrong way, but if you are 44 yrs old and don't know if you are a "college kid" or an "old fart" you have some serious identity isues.

Did you ever go to college? How old were you then? OR Do you hang out with people who currently attend college? Maybe you are taking classes at a local college to "better yourself"? Come on man, grow some balls and stop asking stupid questions. The fact that you "ran home at lunch" to see if a magazine had arrived for you makes me want to puke. You said you'll allign yourself with the 50-60 group...WHY? Are you not 44 like you claim to be?

To quote Dark Helmet: Good God man, what's wrong with you?

I know this post will piss you off, but its been a while since I've pissed anyone off and I think you deserve it. Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    Pls don't take this the wrong way, but if you are 44 yrs old and don't know if you are a "college kid" or an "old fart" you have some serious identity isues.

Did you ever go to college? How old were you then? OR Do you hang out with people who currently attend college? Maybe you are taking classes at a local college to "better yourself"? Come on man, grow some balls and stop asking stupid questions. The fact that you "ran home at lunch" to see if a magazine had arrived for you makes me want to puke. You said you'll allign yourself with the 50-60 group...WHY? Are you not 44 like you claim to be?

To quote Dark Helmet: Good God man, what's wrong with you?

I know this post will piss you off, but its been a while since I've pissed anyone off and I think you deserve it. Have a great day.
    take it the wrong way? how could i possibly do that? your an idiot that wanted to jump in and start a fire rather than speak to the thread's topic, evidently because you have some self-set quota for pissing people off. how sad.

the question was as to ratios of college age to more retirement age folks. nowhere in the thread was a question of my age, actual or imagined. read it again, college boy. read it slow, maybe aloud. you will also notice i didnt say i ran home just to see the magazine. although i do have to admit...you got me here....i'm so embarrassed....i DID check the mailbox for the mag. something i dont always do everyday when i go home for lunch. (im so ashamed!)

and what is this theme you have in your rediculous message about college? perhaps you are one of those types that categorizes everyone, not by age, but by whether they went to college or are the great unwashed. when i meet your type i tend to slow down my talking and exaggerate the southern accent.

finally, if you dont like my question-- my message topic-- hit the road. no one asked you to stop in. if its not a topic your interested in...or a thread you can read and understand....then be an adult and keep going. oh, thats right, you have a quota for pissing people off. your not an adult. just someone who went to college.

That was a joke Fiddlehead & Lady Dino. Note my age.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I'm a 47 year old fart.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Johnny:

For the record. Anyone 44 years old is definitely an "old fart."
    oh yeah?! what about 46? really i am not any older than 10 in my brain, so what about that?

I'm a 31 year old fart. And proud of it.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I can fart with the best of them .

Methane rules!
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

I try to remain one age for an entire year. If I start mixing them I get very confused.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++