WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default How about a date on that picture posted?

Too many times I have viewed a photograph and wondered when it was taken. It drives me nuts. It would be great to see that tidbit but important information somewhere on the page.
    Just a thought.
    No, more than a thought, a request
    Anyone?
    Marsha

Agree. I hate to see pics w/o details. Especially gear pics that have no description (since I'm a gear head). Dates would be great for lots of pics, too.

Images

No opinion on adding the date, and I dont have any posted here, but I have to ask, if the date is there, what does that do for you? Im not criticizing, just wondering...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal
    No opinion on adding the date, and I dont have any posted here, but I have to ask, if the date is there, what does that do for you? Im not criticizing, just wondering...
    --Many times I've viewed AT pics and couldn't figure out why that particular scene in a photo looked so different from when I had been there.

--Photos of people in particular. Some photos are historical.

--My strange curiosity.

Think about it.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

I agree. This is something I was wondering about and would like to see.
    You are in heaven.

Images

Yes, a Date (maybe even just year would do in many cases) and a DESCRIPTION please. Many times there is just the computers description of the file like "DSC349". No idea what we are looking at, when/where it was taken, etc.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Lightbulb Any junior high school kid knows the "Five W's"

Any high school kid knows the Five W's of good journalism: Who, What, When, Where, Why (and How). Don't know why that would have to be explained to anyone.

But... I'd like to know if a pic is February or March or April or May, or September or October. I'd like to know if it was 2005 or 1975 or 1955. I'd like to know if that new looking trail or trail shelter is now 30 years old. Or if that hiker really is hiking in jeans in 2006. If I should be looking for hikers I know from last year, or if that bunch in that photo is from 5 years ago. Or if that waterfall or overlook might have been relocated off the AT some years ago. Etc., etc., etc.

Five years, ten years, twenty years from now, I believe this will be even more true.

I'm sure others can add other reasons. I think a better question is "why leave off the date, and other W's?" Just pure laziness? Is that it?

IMHO, WhiteBlaze is not a dumping ground for storing photos by photographers. Rather it has "galleries" for photos to be viewed. Galleries are for displaying photos and information about the photos for viewers. Otherwise, the galleries are being mis-used. IMHO, of course. YMMV.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 07-03-2006 at 23:50.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

You must also realize that there are many folks out there that cannot get out to hike: former thruhikers, Trail activists, section hikers and DREAMERS. Imagine what the photos WITH dates means to them.

I certainly hope when I'm older and can't get out there that I can go on this website and view a photo of the AT with a date on it and say GEE I was there around that time......or hey--- I hiked with that person!!!

I think like that. I'm very sentimental.

The coffee is good this morning.

++ New Posts ++