WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    M= Male
    F= Female

MF= Men in skirts!
    I swear to god it's a kilt... Stop calling it a miniskirt for gods sake

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Rat
    I swear to god it's a kilt... Stop calling it a miniskirt for gods sake
    Whatever makes you feel better.
    You are in heaven.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    With trailnames and all, sometimes it's hard to tell if you're talking to a girl or a guy. How about putting a "Gender:" line in the little profile that shows up on each post? That would help give some context to some of the posts, and obviously people could choose to not answer if they're worried about privacy (or if they're just not sure).

One vote yes. Anyone else? Thoughts? Bueller?
    ha ha

I agree !!

Images

Just my .02...

I previously had a photo of myself listed with my profile, but it has since been removed. I had to. I was getting emails from "members" that had little or nothing to do with hiking or had a whole lot to do with looking for a "hiking buddy." (which I really doubt is what they were looking for...)

I have to agree with the above post, I too look for the posters' age, as it gives me a better idea about their hiking (& life) experience, and ability.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Is it too hard to just click on there user name and see there real name? Seems like it would fix any "confusion"

Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal
    Just my .02...

I previously had a photo of myself listed with my profile, but it has since been removed. I had to. I was getting emails from "members" that had little or nothing to do with hiking or had a whole lot to do with looking for a "hiking buddy." (which I really doubt is what they were looking for...)

I have to agree with the above post, I too look for the posters' age, as it gives me a better idea about their hiking (& life) experience, and ability.
    Sorry about your experience. Perhaps that indicates that gender should not be displayed so that women (or men for that matter) with non-gender-specific trail names who wish to maintain privacy can keep their anonymity.

Someone mentioned the first name as a giveaway but members don't have to use their real first name.

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    What difference does it make? Do you treat the opposite sex differently? The anonimity offered online allows us to shed preconceived notions about gender inequality and have open, honest discussions.
    I met Harley Hog Pit this Spring in GA. I was pretty well shocked that she was a she. I guess from the name I expected a ponytailed, tattooed ex-biker.

Just hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker
    I met Harley Hog Pit this Spring in GA. I was pretty well shocked that she was a she. I guess from the name I expected a ponytailed, tattooed ex-biker.

ha ha ha Yes she came to the PA Ruck in January.
    I was waiting for someone to post a message like this.
    Hello Harley Hogpit!

Correction

M= Male
    F= Female
    MIK= Men in Kilts!

How do we identify men who carry guns on the AT? Can we have a little icon of a cat?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Correction

M= Male
    F= Female
    MIK= Men in Kilts!
    Sly I bet you would look good in a kilt.

I'd vote to leave things the way they are.

People's posts should be judged by the merit of their content, period. I can't imagine that anyone's plumbing makes much of a difference.

Plus, it's pretty funny when a contributor, either new or long-time, is mistaken for something that they're not.

Instead of worrying about whther one is addressing a man or a woman here at Whiteblaze, people would do better to treat everyone equally, to treat them as they'd wish to be treated themselves, to be responsible for what they've written, to say nothing on-line that they wouldn't say to somebody in person.

WB seems to be operating just fine at present. Constant attempts to re-tune something that's already running right isn't necessarily a positive thing.

Who said anything about treating anyone unequally or judging posts by anything other than merit? I said it would help give context - and it would. Whether it's wanted/needed or not was the question. Looks like most people think it's not - no big deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++