WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Lamberts Meadow Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Lamberts Meadow Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Images

This is right below Tinker Cliffs near Roanoke. For years there was a resident rat residing there. It was the source of some good reading in the journal. However, no journal this past spring when I passed by. The license plate covering the hole in the floor is really a trap door used by you know who.

Has anyone seen or better yet, maybe taken a picture of this varmit.

No problems when I stayed there in May. Can't recall if there was a journal or not.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

The privy is too close to the water source, a nearby stream. Be sure to walk upsteam, above the privy to get your water.

Last edited by Hikerhead; 02-09-2003 at 16:49.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I should have stopped for lunch at the Lamberts Meadow Campsite half a mile north of the shelter. The campsite had a picnic table by a rushing creek with flat, sun-baked rocks.

The shelter is a basic 6-person design with uncovered picnic table and fire pit. The October 2003 register had recent reports of a resident rat who likes to steal items and drag them underneath the floor of the shelter.

Water from a creek just down a small hill in front of the shelter. The "Meadow" is tiny and overgrown with some sort of plant with a long stalk. Limited direct sunlight."
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Post Status Report

As of 6/18/05 the shelter was clean & rat free. Not so of the mice however, so I was forced to implement my new anti-mouse strategy.

I have found that leaving a light on ALL NIGHT keeps the beasts away. I use thse small tea candles, which last about 5 hrs ea & are quite cheap. One of those lights up 1/2 a shelter quite nicely.

As for the privy, a new privy has been installed; still upstream of the water sourse, but self-contained, so no longer an issue....

As far as the campsite a 1/4 mile north, it looked kind of muddy; though the picnic bench WAS handsome....
    Be Prepared

Section hikers, 900+ miles, donating members anneandbenhike's Avatar
    Images

We camped there on a hike last September and arrived at the shelter mid- afternoon. There was a HUGE black snake on the rear wall of the shelter...must be alot fewer mice there! It slithered out through a hole in the back of the shelter and up into the woods. We camped under a tarp near the shelter and had no mice problems!

Images

me and my son hank opted for the lambert meadows campsite,it even had a nice picnic table,the shelter was almost full anyway neo

I hammocked across the stream from this shelter 7 Sep 2005 - register was present and not too chewed so I suspect the mice and rats may be under snake control - someone appeared to have tried to burn a sleeping bag in the fire pit and made a real mess of it - water source was flowing but at no great volume for a stream of that size.

The water was good as of 10 July 2008. Lunched there and had a button buck visit, graze and bed down.

Images

I found it a good experiance I think their was six of us inside the shelter and one on a picknic table. Also the water seems to be in good supply their.

Images

was their today and water is non existant- plenty at the campground but dry at the shelter.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Default Tenting

There does not appear to be any good tent spots around the shelter itself. The Lamberts Meadow campsite just North of the shelter has ample room for many tents plus the aforementioned picnic bench. There is also a nice metal fire pit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    There does not appear to be any good tent spots around the shelter itself. The Lamberts Meadow campsite just North of the shelter has ample room for many tents plus the aforementioned picnic bench. There is also a nice metal fire pit there.
    It used to be an even better place to camp. For some reason a few years ago they decided to move the trail thru the middle of the camping area, it was and has been forever on the other side of the creek.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Former Admin View Post
    Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Lamberts Meadow Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?
    I hiked the AT in 2000 Lobo my nephew Medicine Man, and I AuSable Mike stayed in lamberts meadows shelter. The trees were not leafed out yet the red bud was starting to bloom. The shelter looked like a magical place as we aproached it we were tired along hike it was cool and we were hungry. every thing was going smooth until we got into our sleeping bags and started to dose off to sleep. It was dark and I started to hear a bumping sound . a scurrying sound. and it wasn't long before something draged a bag I had laying next to me across the floor. I got my light my bag was across the shelter floor next to a hole in the floor. I got it and returned to my bag. The noises keeped up all night. We finally saw what it was Lobo said it was a wood rat. THe thing could jump from the floor all the way up to the top of the rock wall which were half way up the wall. It kept us up most of the night. It even chewed a hole in my sleeping bag next to my head . (mummy type). We were glad to get on our way. How ever if it weren't for the rat we probably would not have remembered Lamberts meadow shelter. AuSable Mike _ another day in paradise

I hiked the AT in 2000 Lobo my nephew Medicine Man, and I AuSable Mike stayed in lamberts meadows shelter. The trees were not leafed out yet the red bud was starting to bloom. The shelter looked like a magical place as we approached it. We were tired along hike that day. It was cool and we were hungry. every thing was going smooth until we got into our sleeping bags and started to dose off to sleep. It was dark and I started to hear a bumping sound . a scurrying sound. and it wasn't long before something draged a bag I had laying next to me across the floor. I got my light to see what it was but seen nothing my bag was across the shelter floor next to a hole in the floor. I got it and returned to my bag. The noises keeped up all night. We finally saw what it was. Lobo said it was a wood rat. The thing could jump from the floor all the way up to the top of the rock wall which was half way up the wall. It kept us up most of the night. It even chewed a hole in my sleeping bag next to my head . (mummy type). We were glad to get on our way. How ever if it weren't for the rat we probably would not have remembered Lamberts meadow shelter. AuSable Mike _ another day in paradise[/QUOTE]

Images

Hammocked there last Thursday night. Two big beautiful black snakes were in the vicinity. Hopefully, they took care of any rats, of which we saw no current evidence.

The privy definitely needs immediate attention, as it is FULL.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by ausable mike View Post
    I hiked the AT in 2000 Lobo my nephew Medicine Man, and I AuSable Mike stayed in lamberts meadows shelter. The trees were not leafed out yet the red bud was starting to bloom. The shelter looked like a magical place as we approached it. We were tired along hike that day. It was cool and we were hungry. every thing was going smooth until we got into our sleeping bags and started to dose off to sleep. It was dark and I started to hear a bumping sound . a scurrying sound. and it wasn't long before something draged a bag I had laying next to me across the floor. I got my light to see what it was but seen nothing my bag was across the shelter floor next to a hole in the floor. I got it and returned to my bag. The noises keeped up all night. We finally saw what it was. Lobo said it was a wood rat. The thing could jump from the floor all the way up to the top of the rock wall which was half way up the wall. It kept us up most of the night. It even chewed a hole in my sleeping bag next to my head . (mummy type). We were glad to get on our way. How ever if it weren't for the rat we probably would not have remembered Lamberts meadow shelter. AuSable Mike _ another day in paradise
    [/QUOTE]

That rat or/and it's offspring were at that shelter for at least 5 years. It made for some reading in the registrer.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Can anyone confirm that there is currently a water source here?
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++