WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Walasi-Yi

Don't believe everything you think. galaleemc's Avatar
    Images

Default Yes

Yes! Beautiful place and area

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    I was disappointed in the cabin we stayed in. The bunks had very low head room and ....

... food choices for dinner are pretty limited (some frozen items such as pot pies, some staple items, fruit, hot dogs, and typical backpacking food), and there are no nearby restaurants.
    I think the Sheraton is going to put in a hotel/restaurant complex next year in Addis Gap.
    Frosty

It's nice, but I would save an overnight for Cloud9.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
    It's nice, but I would save an overnight for Cloud9.
    why not do both?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I think the Sheraton is going to put in a hotel/restaurant complex next year in Addis Gap.
    Day hiking out of Addis hasn't been the same since LaPradds closed.

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    why not do both?
    Why stay at Walasi-Yi when you can stay on top of Blood and see arguably the best sunset/sunrise on the trail in GA?

Good post, Frosty!

I can't believe some people are complaining about the level of accomodations at Neel's Gap.

Um, news to some folks......Neel's Gap is in the middle of nowhere. If you want a real motel, full cable, a choice of restaurants, and a mint on your pillow before someone tucks you in, you can always pay for a shuttle to a real town.

And then you can go home.

And good riddance. I personally am GLAD some of the acomodations on the Trail are still pretty spartan.

It helps encourage the whiners and higher maintenance folks to quit, which all in all, is not a bad thing at all.

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Why stay at Walasi-Yi when you can stay on top of Blood and see arguably the best sunset/sunrise on the trail in GA?
    great point!

Love those guys though.... an AT institution! We should help support it enough to stay that way. I go out of my way when in the neighborhood to see old Winton and drop a couple bones on a book, shirt, or mmmm.... ice cream!
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Where the hell you been, Wook?

Welcome back and have a great Spring!!

See you in Georgia in 2 weeks maybe.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

It's not like you're forced to stay at Walasi-Yi. There are other options available. Skunk Mountain, oops I meant Blood Mountain, shelter is on the way and there's a nice camping spot with water just a half mile or so north of Neels Gap.

Blood Mtn Cabins are just up the hill a bit. They're more comfortable and if you can convince three other hikers to split a cabin then the price is about the same.

Or have the Walasi staff call Keith Bailey at Goose Creek Cabins. They won't mind, he's on their speed dial. If you get the answering machine you might as well have a seat because Keith speaks reeealllll slllllowww.... He'll drive up and pick you up and return you to Neels the next day. For extra small fees GCC will also do your laundry and shuttle you into Blairsville ("Buh-LAY-yers-VEE-yill") to shop and eat at the AYCE Cookie Jar restaurant.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Donating Member
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    And good riddance. I personally am GLAD some of the acomodations on the Trail are still pretty spartan.

It helps encourage the whiners and higher maintenance folks to quit, which all in all, is not a bad thing at all.
    Right on Jack!
    "You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters."
    ~Saint Bernard (1090 - 1153)

Winton, put on a demonstration/presentation at Amicalola S.P. last weekend. You can tell that he has a passion for what he does. You can tell that he does what he does because he loves doint it. His presentation was on shoes, boots and socks. He told the story about the first year that those ugly plastic shoes hit the trail. He saw the trend and ordered as many as he could get his hands on. He sold them all. You can blame Winton for all those Crocs on the market.

Journal Entries
    Images

I stayed at Walasi-yi ctr two different nights this last week on the AT. One, when I came to Neels Gap at the end of a day. And then at weeks end when I had reached Unicore and hitched back there as it was a good place to hole up and wait for my ride. Winton and all let me hang around and they were real nice. They helped my find a good pair of boots while I was there early. The hostel includes: bunks with mattress, towel, shower (bring your own soap). You may pay extra to wash laundry in a typical washer and dryer. It is a pittance-as to what they charge for laundry. There is a "kitchen" with sink, running water, microwave and telephone. There is a common area and campng spots nearby. I appreciated their hospitality and did some chores while I waited to express my thanks. It is $15.00 or thereabouts. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh, forgot one thing-I don't see how one could re-supply at Walasi-yi. The food IS there for it-Freeze dried Mtn Hse., candy and energy bars and an assortment of chewy things. The freezer contains frozen items to cook in the microwave. So I don't think this would work as I did not see any cheese and mack. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Images

When we were there in June they had a pretty good selection of Ramen, Mac and Cheese and a few other noodle dishes. It is to the left as soon as you go through the door in a small alcove with the energy bars. I did a 4 day re-supply there with no problem. The food was expensive, but I expected that.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Keeping on hiking if the weather is favorable is rewarding. There are some terrific sites to wake up at once you get through with the switchbacks. There is even water.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries
    Images

Ooooops! Sorry Buckowens, I did look good enough I guess. Also, I said "mack and cheese" as a joke. But I guess you got my drift. Again, I really appreciated Walasi-yi and their hospitality. They were great. I hope everyone stops there. -SunnyWalker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Ooooops! Sorry Buckowens, I did look good enough I guess. Also, I said "mack and cheese" as a joke. But I guess you got my drift. Again, I really appreciated Walasi-yi and their hospitality. They were great. I hope everyone stops there. -SunnyWalker
    Hi SunnyWalker,

Don't feel bad for missing it, it is in a little alcove that could easily be missed. Roo and I hung out there for quite a few hours... We were so starved for food and normal stuff that we covered every inch of the store .

I agree that the staff there is very friendly and accommodating!

tideblazer
    Images

Default Update on Walasi-Yi

Hey all,

In case you are wondering, the place is still going strong and might be better than ever. Winton did have some big shoes to fill, and he's doing a WONDERFUL job! Not to mention, he's getting a lot more shoes, too! Today when I stopped in I added a pair of my tattered Montrails to his 2000 miler museum collection. What a great idea.

There is something about the feel of the place that is even more homey and comfortable than I ever remembered. He and Cola are kicking butt up there. I wish I could stop in every day and shoot the breeze. He showed me some new gadgets today, like some new stove styles and a solar-powered LED that he just got in from an inventor. They have so much stuff you would NEVER find at REI-type place.

And guess what..... I don't know if I'm supposed to let the cat out of the bag, but I bet he won't mind the free advertising:

They soon will have an ON-LINE store so we can get these rare finds, and support one of the FEW mom-and-pop style backpacker stores left in the country. AND, at the same time, we can support a business that preserves this historic building on the AT as a hiking store, and not some gas station or private house. So keep you eyes peeled. I got a behind-the-scenes peek today. I'll post a new thread about it when it's up.

Sorry, Winton, if you didn't want me to tell yet. I have poor self control. Ans thanks for all the hospitality.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

They kinda, sorta had an on-line store in the works.

I'm happy to see they are expanding on it.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++