WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Photo of Bryant Ridge Shelter and Dedication Poem

Cflippe,

Interesting history; I'll have to go back and explore.

For whatever reason the photo of the shelter did not show when clicking on the link in the first post-error message instead. The link below works.

If a mod/admin could fix the original post, #1, it would be appreciated.

There is a bronze plaque dedicating this shelter; the dedication is from sister to her brother who died in 1991. It may take some searching to find the plaque.

Scroll down on gallery picture to read dedication.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...&imageuser=497

Outstanding shelter and probably the best designed I have ever seen. The water in the creek was plentiful although low. The water pooled several places but none of the pools were deep enough to fill without dipping or sucking. There was plenty of camping places.( 10 July 2008)

I heard an interesting story about this shelter. The brother, to whom it is dedicated to, was an architecture student. In his memory, the family contracted his fellow architecture students to design a shelter for the trail. (I suppose he must have had some ties to the trail.) This has to be one of my favorite shelters on the trail. I rolled into this shelter during my thru after a long 20+ mile day. The proportions of this shelter were a feast for the eyes and soul. The contrast of wide and thin wood, dark and light. The breezeway on the second floor created wonderful ventilation. It reminded me that even out in the woods, good design is very soothing. I believe the hiker V8 said "reminds me of a Zen Temple." I cannot agree with him more. A shelter I will return to soon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chazaq View Post
    I heard an interesting story about this shelter. The brother, to whom it is dedicated to, was an architecture student. In his memory, the family contracted his fellow architecture students to design a shelter for the trail. (I suppose he must have had some ties to the trail.) This has to be one of my favorite shelters on the trail. I rolled into this shelter during my thru after a long 20+ mile day. The proportions of this shelter were a feast for the eyes and soul. The contrast of wide and thin wood, dark and light. The breezeway on the second floor created wonderful ventilation. It reminded me that even out in the woods, good design is very soothing. I believe the hiker V8 said "reminds me of a Zen Temple." I cannot agree with him more. A shelter I will return to soon.
    I want to agree. I've only hiked half the trail, but so far this has to be one of the best, if not the best, shelters I've seen. Happily, got to stay a night in this one. Strung my hammock in the top level/loft.

Thanks for sharing the story about its design!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

This beautiful shelter was a welcomed relief after a long, hot day. The water source was excellent, the shelter was huge--my hiking partner could even put her hammock up between posts for the shelter. I could get cell service at the privy so I was able to talk to my husband, which was a nice treat. The covered picnic table in the shelter also made life easy. One of my favorite shelters...

This was a great shelter for us back in early May. We had been hiking in rain/snow and were wet and cold when we arrived at Bryant Ridge Shelter. We don't usually stay in shelters but this was a welcome site to dry out and warm up at. It ended up quite full that night and was appreciated by everyone.

Images

My grandson and I stopped at this shelter yesterday for lunch and were really impressed with the size and layout compared to other shelters along the trail. The only drawback is that the loft was taken over by huge spiders (think a scene from Arachnophobia). Oh yeah, the shelter register mentioned that several days ago, a four-foot rattler was living under the picnic table.
    What could possibly go wrong?

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

This is a neat shelter. I will reiterate what a previous poster said in that there are no decent tent spots in the area around the shelter. There is one crappy spot, and that's it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    This year, at least, the shelter was completely infested with fleas. Everyone who stayed there came out covered in bites. I recommend staying on the trail for another quarter mile or so. You'll find some excellent campsites there. I wish I had known about them. I would have spared myself the itching.
    I dought that they were fleas biting you. The bites you were getting were probably from Black Flys. I spent the night there in 01 and the Black Flys were the worst I had experienced on my whole thru-hike.
    Grampie-N->2001

It's one of the biggest single shelters on the trail that's for sure, the Fall, Winter and early spring is the best times to stay there, the No-see ums, Mosquitoes, and black flies will eat you up. but i prefer my tent.

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Stayed there when I did a 77 mile section in May with Summit and it appeared to be infested then as well (mainly no-seeums & mosquitoes)... Beautiful shelter though but we stayed in tents and allowed the thrus to take residence in the shelter. Water source is close by as well.....
    Last edited by Christus Cowboy; 11-23-2012 at 05:02.
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Images

I ate lunch there in 2012 but I recall in 2000 it had nasty roof leaks.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom Mouse View Post
    My grandson and I stopped at this shelter yesterday for lunch and were really impressed with the size and layout compared to other shelters along the trail. The only drawback is that the loft was taken over by huge spiders (think a scene from Arachnophobia). Oh yeah, the shelter register mentioned that several days ago, a four-foot rattler was living under the picnic table.
    I killed a HUGE spider when I stayed there in May of 2011. Scared the crap out of me......
    Hiking - Where would I rather be??
    Coolness aka Coffee Pot

Enjoyed the privy in 2004 and moved on. My thought at the time was, if they must have shelters along the trail, they should be like this. That way more people, mice, etc. will stay there, leaving more empty space, in the woods for those of us who prefer sleeping "out".

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Enjoyed the privy in 2004 and moved on. My thought at the time was, if they must have shelters along the trail, they should be like this. That way more people, mice, etc. will stay there, leaving more empty space, in the woods for those of us who prefer sleeping "out".
    Ha ha!! I like shelters but I hear what you are sayin! I like to sleep near the shelters but not IN them.

Images

I killed a big nasty spider when I was trying to sleep there one night..... It's a popular destination. Fire pit needs work and the privy needs to be replaced. Not much room for tents. The climb out is very strenuous.
    Hiking - Where would I rather be??
    Coolness aka Coffee Pot

Was there 4-9-17 - Probably 24 empty crushed beer cans. Fire pit full of trash. water was flowing well all around the shelter (2 streams intersect at the shelter. Climb out nobo is a steady up and strenuous all the way to Apple Orchard Summit. Cornelius shelter ( next shelter north) had water at the trail but shallow.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++