WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Default 2007

Will be leaving Springer March 10th, not concerned about the miles starting out. Not hiking with a partner, but look forward to meeting many of you and learning more about myself.

Angry Waiting is difficult!

I have been backpacking for over 20-years, and am now only a few months away from 60 yo. Waiting for life's circumstances to work out so I can "thru-hike", has been difficult.

I work for a large Defense Contractor and over the 38-years I've been there, they have slowly chiped away at retirement benefits. The last cut was to take away all medical benefits for retirees. So, I must work till the age of 66 to get Medicare & full-SS.

So in six (6) more years I'll be 66, have 44-years of service and will be a member fo the "Class of 2013"

So when your plans get delayed a year of so, don't fret, you'll make it

Solo,northbound from Springer on March 18th. Will be hiking approximately 5 hours a day, until I get acclimated. I'm in no hurry, after all this is a vacation/adventure.

Dennis Artrip
    "Trudger"

Images

Sign me Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I expect to start the approach trail to springer sometime after lunch on 3/1!!!

I'll be starting what will hopefully be my final section of the trail late in the summer of 2007, so I may run into a few of you SOBOs. I'll probably be SOBO myself, starting at Lehigh Gap and ending at VA 601 just N. of War Spur shelter. (The road that leads down to Blacksburg.) I have just under 600 miles to go and about six weeks to do it. GA->VA, ME->VA, 1990-2007.

My wife and I plan on going sometime after the 16th of March. Most likely the following weekend so our ride won't have to take a day off of work (school teacher, a day off of work means more work than just working that day). See you out there!

Oh we'll be 27 and plan on taking it easy in the beginning and then hopefully cranking out 20 mile days to the end.

Default 2007 Class member logging in.

Starting March 27, 2007. GA--> ME ( where I live). Look forward to the adventure. I plan to enjoy myself, taking 6 months or so to complete it. I will lend a hand to all. See you on the trail.
    No Trail Name yet.
    TJamrog

Checking in as part of the class of '07, can't wait to leave Japan and head for the Trail. Been there before and hoping my wife, a woman familiar with hiking here but not in the States, will have as much fun as I had the last time on the AT. Starting around April 23rd, to all and even more, good luck.

NOBO solo thru attempt beginning late April early May. Best of luck to all. See you on the trail.

ok, all you bone heads the hellkat is commin down the trail. so hide your kin folk and raise the brothern. HELL IS COMMIN!!!!!

hellkat

ga-me '03
    ga-me '04 #1nobo
    ga-me '05
    mex-can'05
    mex-or '06
    ga-me '07
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Thumbs up This is my favorite WhiteBlaze thread!

Y'know, there's a recent thread about who was the 'best thruhiker'...
    And I vote for you guys. The "best" ATer is the "next" ATer!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

:banana Solo ga->me April 1st

WOOOHOOO!! Leave of absence approved! Springer here I come!

35 yr/old male solo nobo. As I’m telling my friends and family, I’m starting in Georgia about April 1st and heading north….if I get to Maine thats cool, but either way I’m going to enjoy myself!
    As to miles per day I have no idea, whatever feels good.
    Many thanks to the whiteblaze community, I’ve been lurking here for a long time, dreaming of when I could do this trip …finally its here!

--Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by cargousa View Post
    time, dreaming of when I could do this trip …finally its here!
    You go, Cargo !!

Default Is it March 20th Yet?

Leaving Springer on the 20th after hiking up from Amicalola.Glad I have found this website.So many people with the same enthusiasm for the hike.This is my first long hike,but have lived in Alaska,Washington and Vermont,so used to the cold.Plan on hiking light with no set plans.Nothing to come back to,so gonna enjoy whatever comes my way.Ya know,we all are on to something special here! See ya all on the trail!

I would like to do it in bits and pieces as I can not get off of work long enough to do the entire trip in one year. My goal is to start at Springer and hike thru the Smokies and stop the first year.

I am looking for anyone that would like to join me.

Email me at utvols33@yahoo if you are interested!

Thanks

Default Class of '07 NOBO

Hey everybody!! Well, I just graduated from college and now it's off to the next big adventure! I am planning on starting in late March (was thinking of the 24th or the 31st). I'm not sure if I want to deal with a hiking partner since I'll have my dog with me for the hike. So if you see a big scary looking German Shepherd comming, I'll be there too haha. I can't wait to get on the trail and have some fun! See everybody there, W

Heading north with my best friend starting April 1st.

We're hoping to be moving north at a pretty good clip, but you never know until you start doing it.

Can't wait to meet y'all on the trail.

Default NoBo March 1st

I am a 54 year old Maryland Terrapin and plan to start March 1st going NoBo, after visiting mother in Winter Haven, Florida. See you early birds on the trail. I plan on doing 15-20 miles a day after a break-in period!

I am a Sierra Club outings leader and have taken the Wilderness First Aid course several times. I am more than willing to help out any hiker in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I am a 54 year old Maryland Terrapin and plan to start March 1st going NoBo, after visiting mother in Winter Haven, Florida. See you early birds on the trail. I plan on doing 15-20 miles a day after a break-in period!

I am a Sierra Club outings leader and have taken the Wilderness First Aid course several times. I am more than willing to help out any hiker in need.
    Bird -

Welcome to the Class of 2007. I'm a Winter Haven native myself, and reside over in Lakeland now. I'm not starting until later in March but if you get a few minutes while you are down this way give me a shout (PM me for my number) and maybe we can swap some gear stories.
    WhoAh

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy5883 View Post
    Hey everybody!! Well, I just graduated from college and now it's off to the next big adventure! I am planning on starting in late March (was thinking of the 24th or the 31st). I'm not sure if I want to deal with a hiking partner since I'll have my dog with me for the hike. So if you see a big scary looking German Shepherd comming, I'll be there too haha. I can't wait to get on the trail and have some fun! See everybody there, W
    I don't know if anyone ever mentioned this to you or not but it is probably not such a good idea to attempt a thru with a dog.

Panzer

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++