WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    Images

Depending on the state, but yes it is generally legal now to sell in the US, however with a upper limit on the Thojone content which is the substance that supposedly 'releases the green fairy' (hallucinant) .
    Pernod is the name of the drink that was popular in France. Had the basic ingredients as the Absinthe.

With alcohol stoves, I just stay away from pressurized types. Even capillary types aren't worth the effort, IMO. So it's 2-3 minutes faster than a wicker? So what?

I'm ok with slow and safe.

This one is sweet:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php

Images

Found this today. A guy had this cook kit stored, not in use in his hot pickup truck bed.....canister blew up:

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Found this today. A guy had this cook kit stored, not in use in his hot pickup truck bed.....canister blew up:

Was the gas canister out in open sun? And was it full or partially full I wonder which would blow first?

What temps do you think it had to reach to achieve this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

I actually carry TWO Starlytes because they are so light and I don't want to deal with a hot stove in case I did not add enough fuel for the initial burn.My primary stove is the XL3 backed up with the little standard Starlyte with the newer style pop top,not the screw on type top.I had one of those decide not to come unscrewed once when I put the top back on while the stove was still warm and it formed a seal.Once it cooled off overnight the top unscrewed like it never even happened.

Images

I'll double check, I think he said it was 130 degrees where it was stored. I'll go back to the forum and check.

Images

Here is what he said:

So.....he had his kit stored in a closed bucket. The bucket was in the back of his pickup in full sun probably?

Don't add fuel to a lit alcohol stove... check!

The best practice is to use a small measuring cap and do some quick burn tests to learn exactly how much fuel is required.

Improves fuel efficiency and also reduces the temptation to extinguish a running alcohol stove, which can range from very tricky to not advisable to almost impossible depending on stove type.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Here is what he said:

So.....he had his kit stored in a closed bucket. The bucket was in the back of his pickup in full sun probably?
    Wow! That's crazy a real good thing nobody was around the shrapnel from that little bomb could have killed someone. Shrapnel from the canister, cook kit or the bucket itself.
    My guess is the canister had a small leak and the gas had nowhere to escape and the fumes inside the bucket reached its explosion temperature.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++