WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

If you have patience like me, REI garage sales are incredible. I always camp out, part of the fun, but also beats getting up at 5am and still not being first in line. So I just sleep out with some buddies, or even solo, with a few brews and some whiksey. I find 80% of the gear to be in such amazing condition you wonder how REI stays afloat selling em at such ridiculous discounts. Some of my best finds (all in great-like new condition unless otherwise noted)

REI Shuksan rainshell, normally $300, attained for $100.
    Osprey Kestrel 38 ($149) for $50 (was missing center lift strap is all)
    Asolo Fugitive GTX ($240) for $40 cuz of an unnoticable tear in the liner. Feet stayed dry though.
    Gently used Merrell Chamelon ($110) for FIVE bucks.
    Half off a pair of Darn Toughs that never even left the store but were found on the sales floor with no tag.

And the best deal of all? Sea to Summit 2L dry sack ($12.95) for THREE CENTS hahaha.

Great information. I know I just saved money. Thanks again!

My perspective:

I have worked my entire life, have saved my money, and now enjoy a comfortable retirement. I much prefer to purchase highly engineered, time-tested, reliable products from reputable quality manufacturers. I have used cheap stuff in the past and, for the most part, cheap stuff is exactly that ... cheap (crappy) stuff. There is a lot of validity in the saying that "You get what you pay for." Oh, and buying quality does not mean you have to spend a lot of money, you just have to shop wisely. A few great smartly chosen quality items from a knowledgeable outfitter, to me, is far more desirable and functional than a pack filled with thrift store throw-away crap. Yes, I'll gladly pay the difference!

OkeefenokeeJoe

Images

This is a great thread! I'm a firm believer of "it doesn't have to be expensive to serve the purpose." In our Scout troop, we have a lot of boys who simply can't afford to spend $300+ on a sleep system, or $100+ on a kitchen. A Scout is thrifty.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by goodolbobwhite View Post
    a scout is thrifty.
    +1 ........

V8

Quote Originally Posted by goodolbobwhite View Post
    . . . In our Scout troop, we have a lot of boys who simply can't afford to spend $300+ on a sleep system, or $100+ on a kitchen. A Scout is thrifty.
    I've met plenty of scouts that were not trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, or reverent. I sure as heck wasn't obedient, clean, or reverent. And, some of my friends were only thrifty in the sense that they didn't pay for things they aquired. . . but, back on topic. . .

I was recently (night before last, outside, under a tarp, during "hurricane" Hermine) quite surprised at how well my recently purchased $12.74 Ikea "Tilkort" twin comforter worked as a sleep system when used over the top of me laying directly on my sleeping pad. It was more comfortable than my sleeping bags or quilts with nylon top fabrics, and the Tilkort is less than 2 lbs and 100% polyester so it should handle moisture wonderfully.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

This is a great thread, and I love saving a dollar when I can. I've been keeping an eye on the used items for sale on this website, and have picked up some barely-used items at very good prices. When I was younger and had purchased my first house, I hit the yard sales on Saturday mornings and equipped myself with yard tools, lawnmowers, weedeaters, etc. for pennies on the dollar. I once bought a barely-used Weber grill for $5 and used it for probably 10 years. I've also gotten very good deals on luggage at Goodwill. I needed two pieces of rolling luggage last year and bought both of them for $20. Not pretty, but perfectly functional. The way I see it: every dollar I save is a dollar that I can use for traveling!
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Journal Entries
    Images

Goodwill sells good stuff sometimes.

Even after 10 yrs so much solid advice in Rock's opening post. Read it! Read it again!

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Default cheap hke

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Even after 10 yrs so much solid advice in Rock's opening post. Read it! Read it again!
    I always remember GRANDMA GATEWOOD who used a paper shopping bag and a raincoat as hiking gear. That puts us all to shame.

True confession.

A great deal is as significant to me as what I am getting (with the caveat that if it isn't what I need or want then it is worthless and a terrible deal).

Remember, anything you buy, someone will claim to have bought elsewhere, cheaper.

Do what you can, and don't sweat it.

Deals are relative.
    Junk gear for free is still junk.
    The Western Mountaineering sleeping bag of your dreams new at 30% off from an authorized dealer is a bargain.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by middle to middle View Post
    I always remember GRANDMA GATEWOOD who used a paper shopping bag and a raincoat as hiking gear. That puts us all to shame.
    Why shame?

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Goodwill sells good stuff sometimes.
    Yup. It's where I got my wool/polyester blend mid-layer shirt. With a March 1 start I figure I'll need it through the Smokies, and can then either send it home or leave it in a hiker box. For something with limited trail use I didn't want to spend big bucks to get the lightest possible item. (I did still cut off the pocket and labels to save almost an ounce.)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++