WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thumbs up

Wow Sarge - another great article!

I think I'm going to return my brand new name brand rain gear and fleece and hit the thrift shop!

Thanks for taking the time to put this (and all the other great stuff on hikinghq.net) together for us.

My suggestion: Have you seen the new line of Ziploc bowls? The lids SCREW on! They're "disposable" but seem to be strong enough to take a real beating. Can handle the heat of cooking in a microwave. And best of all - they're light and CHEAP!

Images

Thanks TH. Hey, do you guys also bring a set of postal scales into the store
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Dang, sorry about the screw up of the aricle during the update, the connection here is VERY bad and that sometimes happened. Luckily I keep a "latest version" on my laptop.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Thanks TH. Hey, do you guys also bring a set of postal scales into the store
    Don't laugh, Sarge. I'm thinking of getting one of these for just that purpose :

http://saveonscales.com/product_mech...penscales.html
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

windscreen material - if short windscreen use the side walls of 12 ounce soda or beer cans - z fold two together and crimp at the fold - if need taller windscreen do the same thing using "tall boy" 24 ounce beer cans - material is easily found along side roads for free.

Images

For kids (I have five): Hand down everything to the smaller ones. Kids don't need boots - tennis shoes are fine. But, if you do get boots for the big kids (my oldest two twist their ankles all the time when they carry loaded backpacks), they can be handed down, too. Or make friends with other camping and hiking families and set up clothes/gear trades. I traded an extra stove for my 2nd baby carrier (we had two babies, but one carrier). Kids can also use your old clothes - ones you've "grown out" of or shrank in the wash (I've done this to several wool sweaters and socks, and some long underwear). Buy long underwear big so they can use it for a couple of years. Christmas time is a good opportunity, too. I mentioned to an aunt years ago that the kids love fleece. Every Christmas she sends each of them Old Navy fleece sweaters and pants; usually one size too big, so everyone is set for at least a year. The little kids now have a closet full of warm stuff.

I love this article, Rock! Even as the penny pinching goddess that I am, I've been fretting over how to outfit 3 teenagers who have become serious backpackers and are determined to thru as soon as they graduate high school - of course, I'm going, too - so imagine the money we'd have to spend! I've been hitting the MYOG sections a lot lately, and now all the resources I need are in one place.

Images

Wow, Rock, that was brilliant... it's going on my permanently bookmark list (and will be forwarded to the scouts in the troop I help out with)

SGT Rock,
    I have a dandy cheapo gear spreadsheet that a user can modify for his own purposes and needs. Is there a way, presuming it is desirable to do so, to post spreadsheets here for folks to download? BTW, it comes to under $140. But as with all cheapo lists, one's shopping ability and opportunity can play a big part. Finding 'deals' is not assumed in the sample sheet.

Make it a zip file and add it to your post as an attachment.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Like Alligator said, post it as an attachment. I can do some more updates and post that in the article as a link.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

this would be perfect for those children's groups that take kids hiking (like the scouts) - but for non "outdoorsy" clubs as well- parents can flip about the cost of gear etc etc.

What license is this article released under, Sarge? If it's CC I'd like to make a derivative for Australian conditions.

TH
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Images

OH WOW!!!!!

I wish you had posted this when I was starting out all those years ago. AND, I still learned a few things. My forehead hurts now from going "DUH / slap" cuz so much was so obvious AFTER I read it. Absolutly FANTASTIC article, thank you!

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker
    this would be perfect for those children's groups that take kids hiking (like the scouts) - but for non "outdoorsy" clubs as well- parents can flip about the cost of gear etc etc.

What license is this article released under, Sarge? If it's CC I'd like to make a derivative for Australian conditions.

TH
    As long as we get citation and a link, we don't care if the info gets used by others.

Send it in good health!
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Thanks

This is an excellent article. It must be very fulfilling to make your own gear and to be self sustaining off this gear. As I continue to plan my hike I'm constantly taken in by the marketing hype. This article puts a very important idea into perspective: Hiking does not have to be expensive.

Thanks for the great advice and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Don't laugh, Sarge. I'm thinking of getting one of these for just that purpose :

Trust me he wouldn't be laughing, more likely considering buying one of those for himself so that maybe his wife wouldn't be so embarrassed to shop with him...

Those pen scales only go 3.5 ounces. You say you're driving all over and making a lot of stops for your business? Probably a lot better than having a postal scale in your pocket .
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Those pen scales only go 3.5 ounces. You say you're driving all over and making a lot of stops for your business? Probably a lot better than having a postal scale in your pocket .
    All together now:

"Is that a postal scale in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

All together now:

"Is that a postal scale in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

ROFLMAO....now that's cheap.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Images

Added that zip file attachment.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default Dirtbag reminder

This is a good time of year to revisit your local thrift shops for winter clothing.

Big outfits like Goodwill and Salvation Army are putting out winter clothing donated this past Summer because of the changing seasons.

I scored a Patagonia Micro-puff in perfect condition and an REI Gore-Tex raincoat with a missing zipper pull last week for $7.00 each.
    Skids

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++