WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Even when they close correctly, the one-zip bags leak out the corner where the zipper ends. We use them at home but I never take them hiking.

The bubble wrap foil stuff is called Reflectix. It's about $1/ft at the hardware store.

With Food Vac bags I use a clip for the top-though you can get commercial bags that have a ziploc closure. They need a commecial sealer-they sell them on Ebay. The bags run about 15-25 cents each, and you can buy them in lots of 100 and up. So it isn't cheap, but it does work.

As for putting in water beforehand, don't! That would cause spoilage

As for the bags with zippers..avoid those! They are not good. You want traditional zip-loc style bags.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar
    *Ahem* for those with chemical issues, here is the deal-you don't want to use freezer bags? Fine, use Food Vac bags-they are rated to be put in actual boiling water, and boiled for near forever. But anyhoo, freezer bags are food grade, and are rated for use in microwaves - which can easily produce boiling temps if not watched. The water you put in a freezer bag is not boiling once you remove it from the stove. It is right below it.

As for "chemical leaching", if you make food in a plastic mug, you are using plastic. Same if you use Lexan bottles. You are exposed to plastic in many ways. If you fear plastic and chemicals, then by all means, ONLY prepare your food in a metal pan, with a metal spoon. No nonstick pans either

As for scalding, that is why I have a "common sense disclaimer" on our website. The obvious of holding the bag with one hand while pouring with the other, not doing it in your lap, ect. Simply by doing that one can avoid 99.99% of problems. I have yet to see anyone I hike with pour water on themselves.

Oddly enough, I was a barista for 9 years and poured scalding water on my hands hundreds (if not thousands of time) and I have no scars. Water from an espresso machine is hotter than any campstove can produce.

I am not knocking your views, just pointing out other views. Every form of cooking has a risk-and one has to take the risks they want to.

I'll be ordering your book in a few days. BTW great comeback above.
    Namaste

Images

I just bought a box of 200+ ziploc double-zip freezer bags at Sam's for about $5. And made my own very cheap very light cozy - posted a thread about it for anybody who cares. Anyway, I've only tried the bags a couple of times, but good results so far. I put the bag in, added water, put the top on (in?) the cozy, and then squished the whole thing around a bit to mix. No leaks. I'm happy
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Images

Default Water in the Bag

[quote=sarbar]
    As for putting in water beforehand, don't! That would cause spoilage [
    quote]

Kinda' defeats the purpose, too, don't cha think.
    Stoikurt
    Don't Live to Work...Work to Live!

[quote=stoikurt]
    As for putting in water beforehand, don't! That would cause spoilage [
    quote]

Kinda' defeats the purpose, too, don't cha think.
    Not quite sure what you mean???? You are carrying dry meals to save weight, and have no spoilage. If you had meals that had water added in before you left, you'd have an MRE by any other name. Not something one can do safely at home!
    Trail Cooking

Coonass from Down South jazilla's Avatar
    Images

Would time in cozy be saved if you added 1/3 the required water before cooking. Sgt. rock does this with his lemonade bowl. Then when cooking, add 2/3 of required water and food should be re-hydrated= less cooking time.
    Am I correct in this assumption or just trying to reinvent the wheel.
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Hello.

I am going hiking on the 18, to the mountains, and it will be really interesting to see something other then flat prairie. However, I do plan to eat all of my cooked meals from Freezer bags. The chemical thing, did get me wondering, and i don't even like using non-stick pots. However the convience of the FBC out wieghs and out measures that of it's disadvantages, in my eyes anyway. Mentioned above, i read vacuum sealer bags are rated for boiling water, taking these chemicals out of the equation? If so I really like this. Not only can you elimanate the chemicals, but make your on measure of bags. I like how this sounds!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jazilla
    Would time in cozy be saved if you added 1/3 the required water before cooking. Sgt. rock does this with his lemonade bowl. Then when cooking, add 2/3 of required water and food should be re-hydrated= less cooking time.
    Am I correct in this assumption or just trying to reinvent the wheel.
    I don't know about shortening the cooking time-I've never timed it for comparison. IMO, it definitely gets more water into your food and that's generally a good thing, and especially helpful with meat or beans.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

I have been having a slight problem with freezer bag cooking. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and I want to know how you deal with it.

The problem is that some recipes, especially the ones with powdered dry ingredients, aren't mixing well inside the bag. I am getting chucks of dry goods that are clumping together and not mixing. I made some something with curry in it the other day and my wife got a large chunk of pure green curry when she took a bite of her food. It almost made her sick to her stomach. I have noticed that potatoes sometimes do this as well as soup mixes and things like stuffing.

I have made it a point to mix all the dry ingredients just after I combine them in the bag. I also mix them right before I pour in the water to break up the clumps. I will also mix with a spoon and before putting the bag in the cozy and I will squeeze the bag while it's still wrapped in the cozy. Even with all this mixing I will occasionally get that clump of dry goods.

I have started using the Rubbermaid collapsible bowls. These things are great. I love them! I will pour the boiling water in first and then shake in dry ingredients slowly and then mix well, put on lid, and insert into my cozy. This method works great and I have yet to find any chunks. The only drawback to this method is having to dirty up another dish, but if I don't eat everything I can just throw on a lid and take it with me.

Anyone else have this problem and what's your solution?
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Images

I have that problem every once in a while. I solved it by using a long spoon that could get down into the corners of the bag and just kept mixing it up
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Yep, a long handled spoon works really well. Also, if you are making solid sihes like potatoes, knead the bag a bit after it has cooled a bit (carefully). No issues for me after I got a long spoon. REI is actually carrying the long handled metal ones now!
    Anyhoo, I do actually use Rubbermaid Take-A-Long square (sandwich size) with lids on some trips with my son, usually in winter on overnighters, when I want a "dish". This works well if you want to stir up.

As for the question up above, by all means do use Food Vac bags! They are stronger than freezer bags, and yes, are rated for actually being put in boiling water (that means they are rated for being put in a pot of boiling water for a long time). They weigh a bit more and are pricier, but are in some people's eyes a better bet I use them about 1/3 of the time-usually if I am prepping home dried meals (I store home dried stuff in the freezer till hiking time).
    Sarah
    Trail Cooking

I put the bag inside the JetBoil measuring cup (the bottom cover for the heat exchanger). It's a bit small, but after a few bites it works great and I don't need to carry an extra piece of gear to make it work. I haven't been carrying a cozy either, btw - mainly b/c I'm too lazy to make one! I just wrap it in a shirt or my quilt while it sits (zipped close, of course), then put it in the JB cup to eat it. It's been working, but I have a piece of Reflectix and some day I'll get around to making one.

Images

I picked up a box of Glad Double Lock freezer bags (NOT double seal. There are 2 different kinds). I must say that I like these much better than the Ziplock bags that I had been using.

The Glad bags are made of a light blue platic that looks like it's reinforced, but the material feels lighter and stronger than the Ziplock bags. The best part is the good 'ol yellow-and-blue-make-green seal. The bags seal very easy to seal and the seal is tight. No leaks.

I have not had any problems with the seams leaking, either. I filled one with water that was at a hard rolling boil when I put it in the bag and it held. This water was much hotter than what I would use if I were using the bags for FBC and it held up fine. I still have the occasional Ziplock bag that will spring a very small leak at the seam if the water is to hot.

So my current champion is the Glad Double Lock freezer bags for FBC.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Headchange...the Glad ones are my favorite also. They are what I usually recomend. Heck, their sandwich bags are tougher than many freezer bags! I actually do my morning oatmeal in Glad sandwich bags (not that I recommend doing it but it works for me )
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u
    The problem is that some recipes, especially the ones with powdered dry ingredients, aren't mixing well inside the bag. I am getting chucks of dry goods that are clumping together and not mixing.
    I understand that this is why commercial preparations sometimes contain silicates and the like. Are the clumps there before you pour the water on, or do they only form afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker
    so you cook dinner and eat in 10 minutes or less, now what are you gonna do the rest of the evening
    Man, you are a workin' dog, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt
    I made a cozy out of bubble mylar windshield heat reflector. It sews easily. I made it about 8X8 or just big enough to store my tortillas inside while hiking. Cut it about 2 times plus 2 inches longer than it is wide. Fold it over and sew up the sides. Sew a piece of binding over the edge if you want it to look a little nicer. Fold the flap over and use sticky back velcro for securing the flap. At home it kept boiled water quite hot for over 30 minutes.
    There is a company that makes quilted fabric for homemade insulating window shades. I think they're called Warm Window or the Warm Company, or something like that. If they are still in business, their fabric would make a toasty cozy.

Couldn't you make also make a Jardine-style "bomber hat" double as a cosy? It seems like about the right size. Maybe we could make something positively designed to work as either one. Even if it were really cold, you'd only have to have it off of your head for ten minutes. It would be plenty toasty when you put it back on. You could reverse it to use, in case you filled it full of stew by accident.

*Ahem* for those with chemical issues, here is the deal-you don't want to use freezer bags? Fine, use Food Vac bags-they are rated to be put in actual boiling water, and boiled for near forever. But anyhoo, freezer bags are food grade, and are rated for use in microwaves - which can easily produce boiling temps if not watched. The water you put in a freezer bag is not boiling once you remove it from the stove. It is right below it.

As for "chemical leaching", if you make food in a plastic mug, you are using plastic. Same if you use Lexan bottles. You are exposed to plastic in many ways. If you fear plastic and chemicals, then by all means, ONLY prepare your food in a metal pan, with a metal spoon. No nonstick pans either

As for scalding, that is why I have a "common sense disclaimer" on our website. The obvious of holding the bag with one hand while pouring with the other, not doing it in your lap, ect. Simply by doing that one can avoid 99.99% of problems. I have yet to see anyone I hike with pour water on themselves.

Oddly enough, I was a barista for 9 years and poured scalding water on my hands hundreds (if not thousands of time) and I have no scars. Water from an espresso machine is hotter than any campstove can produce.

I am not knocking your views, just pointing out other views. Every form of cooking has a risk-and one has to take the risks they want to.
    I have asbestos hands, too. It is a gift....a gift that makes my husband curse every time that I run the dishwater before he does the dishes.

A person can certainly be burned in about a second at temperatures over 140 F (60 C), even though that is exactly the temperature at which my kids like to have their hot chocolate.

I guess some people literally are thin-skinned. As you point out, that skin on your inner thighs is a place that a backpacker would particularly want to take steps to protect. Usually, though, if you are thin-skinned, you know it. Little kids are usually thin-skinned, too, but after the food has been sitting for long enough to re-hydrate, I would think it would have cooled to a safe temperature.

As for the plastic...I have to admit it. I'm more afraid of work than I am of plastic. If I packed it in in microwaveable plastic, I don't see a reason not to rehydrate in plastic.
    Oh, and by the way....I can't wait to start on your recipes. Your website rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u
    I was testing a cozy made from a sunshade from a car using a Wal-Mart brand 1 quart freezer bag with the zip style close. I filled the bag half full of boiling water and squeezed out extra air. I checked after a half hour to see how well the cozy was keeping in heat and the bag was leaking just a little bit.

Is there a better bag to use for freezer bag cooking? Are the bags that press close (yellow and blue make green Ziplock) or are the zip style closers better? Do name brand freezer bag hold any advantages over generic?

Thanks.
    headchange4u,

To circumvent the bag leak issue completely, I use a Platypus water bottle with the top cut off as my "freeze bag" cooker. You have to be careful to not cut off to much of the top so you leave plenty of side-wall to roll down and form a secure closer (secured with paper clip). Its durable, light and environmentally sound since it is infinitely (nearly) reuseable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Will
    headchange4u,

To circumvent the bag leak issue completely, I use a Platypus water bottle with the top cut off as my "freeze bag" cooker. You have to be careful to not cut off to much of the top so you leave plenty of side-wall to roll down and form a secure closer (secured with paper clip). Its durable, light and environmentally sound since it is infinitely (nearly) reuseable.
    That is actually a cool idea! And make that even neater, as Platy's are still made in the US. And have a pleated bottom.
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Boston
    This is completely foolish- you are likening things whihc are made to be cooked in to things which are not.

http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnew...n_dioxins.html
    Everyone takes different risks in life. I am for one very comfortable with plastic use in backpacking. Why? Most of us don't spend 6 months straight backpacking or hiking, etc. We go out for a weekend at a time, or a couple days. Using plastic during that time is minimal. Think about it, most drink out of Lexan (which other studies have pointed fingers to) or PET plastics. We eat with Lexan spoons, we drink out of Lexan or insulated plastic mugs. Plastic is everywhere.
    For the most part, all our food comes in poly bags or plastic wrappings these days. Look in the grocery store....
    You can of course avoid it if you really want..you can carry your food in paper sacks (you can find them still), and cook only in a pan. But don't use dishwashing soap-it contains elements of plastic. And use metal utensils. But as I have said many times, it is all about comfort zones. I use an aluminum pan to boil water in, and there are people who would believe that it causes other health issues.
    And if you want you can also use Food Vac style bags, which are rated higher than freezer bags. (And no, I didn't invent freezer bagging cooking, I just happen to like doing it..been doing it for years, and like to share what one can do to simplify life). You could also "cook" your food in insulated mugs, but that is plastic also.
    Trail Cooking

But don't use dishwashing soap-it contains elements of plastic. And use metal utensils.
    Exactly what "element" of plastic is in dishwashing soap? Please don't say carbon. As for utensils, I don't know anyone who boils their plastic spoon and then drinks the water.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++