WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    If you don't mind rumaging through materials that once encapsulated people who were violently killed at that spot, I guess it would be.

Amazing. You're the one that asked about where a plane wreck was to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Busted!!!

I think this is it. What was left of the wreckage was about 150-200 yards or so from the shelter IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    I think this is it. What was left of the wreckage was about 150-200 yards or so from the shelter IIRC.

Twoud be interesting to know if anyone was at the shelter when it crashed.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

The official reports of plane crashes are public record. They can be found here:

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

It takes a bit of online search engine spelunking to find crash sites near the AT.

Plane crash stories often have a bit of 'tall tale' emblishments. Don't believe everything you read. For example, there's a story of AMC 'croo'-members who pushed a Cessna 172 carcass off of a steep section of the White Mountains into (I think-it's been a while since I read this) the Huntington Ravine. Yet the NTSB report indicates the wreckage was removed entirely.

Other hard-to-believe stories are actually true: A small bizjet crashed into the forest east of Franconia Notch in NH and it took searchers more than four months to find it. There were survivors of the crash and they attempted self-rescue, including making snowshoes from wreckage. They were not succesful in their self-rescue attempt.

As a scuba diver since the late 70's, I have found (too) many divers who like to take home artifacts from wrecks, including human remains. A bit too creepy for me.

I combine my passion for aviation with the outdoors by looking for crash sites. I don't consider that morbid. I also like to begin and end my section hikes by a dropoff and recovery by private plane. It's fun to fly 100+ mph just a few hundred feet over what I will hike in the next few weeks, or review the trail I've covered in the previous weeks.

To each their own, I guess.

Images

Does it cost alot to charter a small plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Vidalia View Post
    I wonder if there is a database of these types of crashes and how they happened?
    http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/aviation.htm

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Seriously, I don't know about that one. There is the remains of a helicopter up near Hell Ridge north of Mt. Guyot. Saw it 2 years ago. Looked like it was a pretty bad crash. If you search the forums here there are remains of several aircraft crashes along the AT.
    Gray--was it the one right on the AT near Inadu Knob?? If so, that was an F-4 Phantom that crashed into the AT January 1984. Two pilots were killed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post

Remains of the F-4 Phantom that crashed into Indau Knob--January 1984 GSMNP

Images

Mayday Mayday is a book that was written by Dwight McCarter who is a retired Ranger from the GSMNP--Its available online at the Great Smokies Association--Also everyone needs to read the book "LOST" by him as well!! Great books!!

buckowens - the instrument panel looks like it might be a general aviation airplane, either a single engine one or a light twin.

dmax - there are pilots on the List who might be able to take you up for the cost of the gasoline over at least part of the Trail. Otherwise contact the local small airport for prices. Airports are listed in the yellow pages. You probably don't want a large commercial airport for this, since their prices will be too high. Smaller airports are better. Don't be surprised if the local airport facilities are somewhat crude and informal since that's not uncommon.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs down Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    There is an appreciable difference between happening to walk by while on a hike and wanting to stop in for a moment of reflection and making a hobby of hunting such places out so as to pilfer the wreckage for souvenirs (as you did).

If in fact someone died at such a site, that would make such a hobbyist little more then a grave robber.

So please, leave the high horse in the stable...
    Be Prepared

There is an appreciable difference between happening to walk by while on a hike and wanting to stop in for a moment of reflection and making a hobby of hunting such places out so as to pilfer the wreckage for souvenirs (as you did).

If in fact someone died at such a site, that would make such a hobbyist little more then a grave robber.

You just don't walk by the plane wreckage, you need to take a side trail and seek it out, just like you asked about.

Yeah, I snapped a piece of wing off. Grave robber? OK buddy.

I ain't no expert on such matters, but. if'n there aren't no grave it can not be grave robbin. It be salvage.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs down Reading comprehension

"If in fact someone died at such a site....."

Read what's written.
    Be Prepared

Cool

Hey-- if you see something interesting on the side of the trail- why would you go and investigate and look at it. After all-- you do not go into the outdoors to see things- just to walk --Right??? Sly- what is wrong with you man??? Really Black Cloud-- grave robbers??? Give me a break. Why would you ask about it, if you are going to be negative about the responses.
    Snappy
    GAME--'09

What's wrong with me? Nothing really, I'm only pointing out Black Clouds hypocrisy. He's the one that asked for directions to view the downed plane then called it morbid.

Talking

Sly- I was being sarcastic!!!
    Snappy
    GAME--'09

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I only managed to stumble across the wreckage while looking for a convenient bush to squat behind one morning.....it's not all that far off the trail.

Clearly, the main concern for us is calculating the likelihood of a plane crashing into you while hiking the AT. Is there a stronger concentration of permethrin that would ward off small-engine aircraft?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++