WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Is it raining yet?
    Images

Question Downed airplane near Muskrat Creek Shelter

So I've heard & read about some airplane ruins near Muskrat Creek shelter in So. NC.

Anyone have more info and/or directions?????
    Be Prepared

Images

I had nothing to do with it! I wasn't anywhere near there!

Images

Seriously, I don't know about that one. There is the remains of a helicopter up near Hell Ridge north of Mt. Guyot. Saw it 2 years ago. Looked like it was a pretty bad crash. If you search the forums here there are remains of several aircraft crashes along the AT.

Back in 00' there was some remains but nothing I would search around for. BTW Audie Murphy America's most decorated Soldier of WWII was killed in an airplane crash near the AT and a local VFW post erected a memorial to him. Co-incidently on my 00' hike I camped there on Memorial Day weekend. I remember writing in my journal, "how fitting to be camped here on this date at a sacred place dedicated to a Great American. America, land of the free and home of the Brave".
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

I thought it was pretty neat and snapped of a small section of wing as a souvenir.

Heading north, the wreck is to the right off the blue blazed side trail (l) to a rock outcrop (view) shortly before the shelter trail (r).

Images

I was wondering if anybody had any info as to when this crash occurred. As a pilot, I wanted to see what type aircraft it was and what the conditions were.

Here are a few pics I took...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    So I've heard & read about some airplane ruins near Muskrat Creek shelter in So. NC.

Anyone have more info and/or directions?????
    Saw some parts just before leaving GSMNP moving north in '00.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buckowens View Post
    I was wondering if anybody had any info as to when this crash occurred. As a pilot, I wanted to see what type aircraft it was and what the conditions were.

Here are a few pics I took...
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/atta...1&d=1187885532 there is a section of perffed aluminum there that would make a good potstand or stove.

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    BTW Audie Murphy America's most decorated Soldier of WWII was killed in an airplane crash near the AT and a local VFW post erected a memorial to him. Co-incidently on my 00' hike I camped there on Memorial Day weekend. I remember writing in my journal, "how fitting to be camped here on this date at a sacred place dedicated to a Great American. America, land of the free and home of the Brave".
    Why is it that serendipity always happens when you least expect it?

There is plane wreckage less than a mile before reaching Muskrat Creek shelter. If you were headed north on the AT, it would be off to the left, and if I remember correctly it is on the way to a very scenic rocky overlook. You should see a faintly marked trail which leads to the overlook and you will pass the wreckage along the way.....

Easy Strider, section hiker hiker33's Avatar
    Images

The side trail heads west just south of the side trail to the shelter, maybe a hundred yards or so. The wreckage is to the right of the side trail (north) , which is worth taking for the views from the cliffs in any case. If there's a lot of summer growth the wreckage may be hard to find. It's strewn about the woods about halfway between the AT and the overlook. Look for herd paths made by others
    ===================
    Easy Strider
    Section Hiker

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Airplane Crash

During my hike in 2001 I met three guys from Washington, D.C.. They were at the Cosby Knob shelter and they had a piece of an airplane wing with them.
    They had a hobby of seeking out airplane crash sites and had done three that weekend.
    They had access to a government web site that listed all airplane crashes. It contained info. on the crash including GPS location and the people involved.
    It sounded like an interesting hobby.
    Grampie-N->2001

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    They had a hobby of seeking out airplane crash sites and had done three that weekend.
    It sounded like an interesting hobby.
    If you don't mind rumaging through materials that once encapsulated people who were violently killed at that spot, I guess it would be.

Be Prepared

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Downed Airplane

If you don't mind rumaging through materials that once encapsulated people who were violently killed at that spot, I guess it would be.

What I was told is that most of the wreckage is removed and often they could not even find a trace of the airctaft.
    It gave these guys a reason to get into the woods, hike and camp.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    What I was told is that most of the wreckage is removed and often they could not even find a trace of the aircraft.
    It gave these guys a reason to get into the woods, hike and camp.
    After some research, there appear to be many aviation archeology organizations that try to find crash sites of mainly military aircraft. Many of which crashed pilot-less, as the crew had the ability to jump or eject and part ways with the aircraft. As I pilot myself for the last 24 years, I find crash sites a place a reverence to a fallen brother or sister, but interesting nonetheless. They took off to either get somewhere, or to see the sights and never made it. Having crashed once myself in a helicopter, I like the ones they walk away from much better .

I always tell folks, whatever it takes to get into the woods is a good thing. I love that ---- bannana...

Hard to find but it is there off the path to Raven Rock Cliffs to the right.
    Bahama Dave

Images

you can see some of the plane parts just off the trail as I recall going northbound it was on the right

Geezer

Yeah, but touring battlefields is a hobby/tourist activity most people don't object to, and it's pretty similar to visiting an airplane crash site. In this case, because the crash sites are so isolated, I think it is more the finding it, and thinking, "Wow, right here the plane crashed."

I'm guessing of the wreckage from crash sites is removed and recyled. Undoubtably we have all placed our lips on a beer or soda can containing materials that once encapsulated people who were violently killed. SOmething to think about
    Frosty

It's no different from diving to look at shipwrecks.

Millions of people have visited the hole where the World Trade Center was. That was a double plane crash plus a lot more death and destruction. To me it is a little creepy that it has become such a tourist attraction.

Happened to come across the crash mention Saturday afternoon. Being complete winter there it was very easiy to find, infact if you take the very well marked, blue blazed Ravenrock Ridge side trail, just south of the Muskrat Creek shelter you cannot miss the remains. Doesn't look like much of any of the wreckage has been removed and all is easily viewable.

I wonder if there is a database of these types of crashes and how they happened?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++