WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What type of stove do you use most often?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stoves

Default Stoves

What type of stove do you use most often?
    "...one step at a time."

Esbit, but only because it was there when I needed it. Alcohol soda stoves are probably better all around. Esbit is very convenient when cooking simple food for 1.

Primus Alpine Micro (similar to MSR Pocket-Rocket, I think). Weighs 5 ounces. Small cannister weighs 13 ounces and lasts about 2 weeks for 2 hot meals per day for a solo hiker (well, for me anyway). Extremely convenient.
    "In the mountains, there you feel free." T.S. Eliot

For 16 years I used a Coleman Peak 1. Now I use an MSR Pocket Rocket.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-14-2003 at 20:41.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

I fail to see the ****in humor.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-14-2003 at 20:40.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Oh. OK. I have a stainless pot and a non-stick fry pan.

I've tried everything over the years, Whisper Jet, Zip, Primus, Esbit, TinCanMan's Alcohol...
    and am finally happy with the simplest one - MSR's PocketRocket.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Pretty much use the Trangia alcohol stove for everything now with the possible exception of weekend hikes, when I still like my MSR Pocket Rocket
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I use the Wisperlite International and have for about 3 years It works well for me
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Images

I've used a beer can stove the last few hikes but I've found that I'll stick to using the whisperlite internationale.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Stove I use...

i'll take the MSR "Pocket Rocket" anyday.

used the "pepsi-can" (home-made) alcohol stoves...& they tend to be a bit bothersome...(the fuel you carry is equal to or greater than the time, etc it saves...) & usually heavier than the POCKET ROCKET.

jaybird
    www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird
    Last edited by Jaybird; 06-09-2005 at 09:24.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Not sure what kind of stove to bring with me on the AT. I have a msr whisperlite, used it on my NOLS coarse and I know they are reliable, but it's too heavy. Deciding between soda can stove or maybe MSR pocket rocket. Whats weight difference, how easy is it to get alcohol for the soda can stoves? What boils water quicker, and by how much? Also looking for a lighter pack, unless i take my north face patrol about 3000 ci and weighs close to 4 lbs. Any input or recommendations?

2005 Camino de santiago

Wink The Venerable Trangia!

I "fill it to the rim" and only need to top it off with denatured alcohol every 2-3 days, since it uses so little. Each time I cook there is No fumbling with first lighting a few drops in some preheat reservoir or pouring a guestimate into a cap, then into the stove before lighting, often with cold, trembling hands, all the while hoping I poured enough. And, if I didn't???

The Trangia does weigh slightly more than the soda/beer can hybrids but it will not wear out, will always work, stores its cooking alcohol in itself and is always ready for lighting. That convenience, for me at least, is well worth it!

Plus, with use, it soon develops an antique-looking brass patina that just looks much better than the remaining partial advertisement on any beer or soda container stove

Default "Cat Stove"

I like the Cat Stove, made from 2 different size cat food cans, or tuna cans. It's incredibly easy to make and use. It also was the winner of the 2002 Backpacker mag's best homemade alcohol stove contest. Designed by Trail Dad, father of Flyin' Brian plan found on royrobinson.homestead.com/ Jakebrake '04
    Jakebrake

Default and the ultralight winner is...

...no stove at all. I've cooked for many years over (very small) wood fires, thereby avoiding the weight of carrying fuel and stove. With practice, you get proficient at starting fires with wet wood. I'll eat an occasional cold meal if making a fire is inconvenient or illegal. The blackened pot goes in a supermarket plastic bag, eliminating the spreading of charred creosote in your pack. I only use only small amounts of dead wood lying on the ground - the environmental impact is minimal. The matches stay dry in a plastic 35mm film container. The ambiance of a small campfire is irreplaceable, and you can have a conversation (which is difficult over the blowtorch noise of many stoves).

By the way, there is virtually no expense, since many stores give away matches to smokers.

I try to keep cooking simple and light, Esbit stoves rule.
    Life is good.....Swamp Dawg

Pocket Rocket! I would go to one of those ultra lightweight propane/butane alternatives to the pocket rocket but for some reason they are wicked expensive. I sometimes use alcohol but find that if i'm carrying more than 4 days fuel, the propane is lighter. so no a thru-hike, it's propane for me.

Carrier an MSR whisperlite since the early 80's but have been using alc for the past few months. I have not had the chance to use alc in the winter but I'm gonna try it.

Before the MSR it was an Optimus 8R which I still love to take occasionally....just to be retro.
    "In the abundance of water the fool is thirsty."...Bob Marley

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++