WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Who's the strongest over 50 hiker

you have seen? I mean somebody who can walk big miles day in and day out.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Definitely wouldn't have been me during my thru in 2003.

But ...now that I got my kidney stone thing taken care of I might be in the running. Then again, my honest preference is not to do consistently big miles. The return in terms of wear/tear isn't worth the investment in the long haul.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

There was an old guy I ran into at the GA/NC border two years ago in early April who really impressed me. I didn't record his trail name, but I know that he was a regular starter in Georgia many years, although he didn't always complete a thru. I believe that he was over 70, and while he didn't hike fast I know that he was consistently cranking out 15 mile days. I'm sure that there are strong over-50s, but he was remarkable as an over-70.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Lobster asked, "Who's the strongest over 50 hiker?"

Do you mean over 50 years old or over 50 miles a day?
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LostInSpace
    Lobster asked, "Who's the strongest over 50 hiker?"

Do you mean over 50 years old or over 50 miles a day?
    ==============================
    If it's 50 Miles ...I'm out !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

i meet a guy on my first PCT thru who was hiking a 40mile day in the castle crags..............he was in his 70's. that guy was one of the most inspiring people i have met.

tideblazer
    Images

Default Merle McDonald

I vote for the ex-president of the Colorado Trail Foundation, retired AF colonel, family man, and monster hiker Merle McDonald.

at age 72, he averaged 22+ miles on his thru-hike of the Colorado Trail. He leads many work trips and hikes to this day, rarely stopping to eat or rest. He is a real role model.

I beleive he's about 75 now.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Default who's the strongest over 50 hiker

I thought ice falcon was a stronge hiker in 99 and ofcourse my favorite is paw paw just love his attitude.ky

That's easy, that would be my friend, Baltimore Jack!

Images

I met a guy at 10 Mile River shelter in CT last summer named Bob, whom I believe was over 50 and who was doing between 25-30 mpd. He had big thick glasses and was either doing a thru or a really long section hike, I don't remember. He was mostly talking with Roamin' Gnome.

Jane in CT

Quote Originally Posted by lobster
    you have seen? I mean somebody who can walk big miles day in and day out.

In 2004, when I hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness, I was a couple of days behind a grandmother who was was on her third thur-hike. I did not catch up to her, but read her posts in several shelter journals.

I don't remember her name, but when she reached Mt. Katahdin, she was so tired she couldn't make it back down. In looking for her name, I found this notation in a report about 2004 rescues on Mt. Katahdin,

"Another 81-year-old woman who climbed Katahdin was so exhausted by the hike that, like Copeland, couldn’t make it down. She spent the night somewhere on the mountain and walked down by herself."

She probably isn't the "strongest" hiker, but she would get my vote for the hiker with the most grit.
    Shutterbug

The most impressive hiker over 50 that I know is probably Fiddlehead.

He's also more impressive than just about any hiker I've met who is under 50, too.

Default matthewski says jaywalker

hes old ,diein,and a saint. hes my strongest hikin buddy ever.jaywalker for sure.

BATCH hands down.--he is 83 I think

That guy and his wife ROCK!

Default Interesting

I guess the only way to find out who the strongest (as defined by 'hiking big miles day in and day out') over 50 hiker is, would be to have a two week unsupported hike (southbound) in Maine in early August for people over 50 y.o.. Whoever got the farthest over a 14-day period (ie. running clock) would be recognized as the strongest among the participants. There could also be a 'over 60' group and a 'over 70' group.

The event could take place August 2-15 and be in two trail segments:

Segment #1 - 155 miles from Abol Bridge CG to Long Falls Dam Road.

Segment #2 - As many miles as possible with the remaining days from Grafton Notch down into Vermont.

The only physical support one can have is the vehicle shuttle between Long Falls Dam Rd. and Grafton Notch.

If folks are interested in this, I would be willing to coordinate it as well as participate.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Am I the only one who is not remotely surprised that Warren is volunteering to organize and oversee something as meaningless as this?

And am I the only one amused at his dictating who is and who isn't entitled to vehicular support while hiking?

This alone is priceless.

hahaha.. did i really just read that? wow.
    twitter.com/kenseals

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Am I the only one who is not remotely surprised that Warren is volunteering to organize and oversee something as meaningless as this?

And am I the only one amused at his dictating who is and who isn't entitled to vehicular support while hiking?

This alone is priceless.
    there you go again. mr negativity

Default Improving comprehension hint

See last word in post #15 - p*********e
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Is Mr Doyle going to put together a "How to be a strong hiker after 50" seminar?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++