WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Yea but in big letters said groups more than 10 need to pitch a tent Mainly boy scouts... thats what the sighn says there. Well they where very well jumping down from the upper level. Like I said it was like there jungle gym, thats no way to treat the shelter.
    "It's better to try and fail than not to try at all"
    " www.myspace.com/bigfonsie "

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Sorry to hear about the poor treatment you recieved from this troop. As a scoutmaster of a different troop I believe that this is not the norm. I plan on taking my group on the same trip this spring. My guys will camp in one of the tent areas and Ed Garvey. I teach respect for others at all time including on the trail. I think most scoutamsters would do the same but it only takes one bad apple to give us a bad name.

Don,
    If you go there, there are only 4 tent pads around the shelter but just north of the shelter on the left side of the trail, is a nice flat area in the rocks where people have set up before. A warning for all, the water source is a long steep walk from the shelter. But it is cold and tasty...

Images

Yea I can understand if the scout masters and parents along on the trip want to crash in shelters. I met a few good scouts but then I met a few bad apples. Hope to see some of the good scouts out there. Once my nephews are old enough then I will be vollintering for the one in Waldorf, Md. I have a 2 more years till they turn 10 and they proboly will be very experiance out there because I take them out hiking and camping all the time.
    "It's better to try and fail than not to try at all"
    " www.myspace.com/bigfonsie "

Quote Originally Posted by fonsie View Post
    Well I was there January 12, 2008 and I did'nt stay. Boy Scout troop 225 mad it there Jungle gym. The Scout Master was rude and and say anything to me or the other 2 guys that hiked in there. The kids were basicly telling us to hike on. TO TROOP 225 FROM OCEAN CITY, MD YOU ALL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ THE SIGHNS. LEARN THE AT SHELTER RULES!!!

Perhaps there is better way to have your complaint heard so that it won't happen in the future.

A quick google search shows thath troop is part of this council, not sure which district.

Perhaps a letter to the scout executive, also requesting it be forwarded to the appropriate District Executive outlining your concerns and how the troop behaved inappropriately.
    http://www.delmarvacouncil.org/

The toops web site is
    http://www.octroop225.org/

Also note that they have there sponsor listed. A cc of the letter may also be a good idea.

Yea I can understand if the scout masters and parents along on the trip want to crash in shelters. I met a few good scouts but then I met a few bad apples. Hope to see some of the good scouts out there. Once my nephews are old enough then I will be vollintering for the one in Waldorf, Md. I have a 2 more years till they turn 10 and they proboly will be very experiance out there because I take them out hiking and camping all the time.
    It's never too early to volunteer.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Our trooop will camp in an established site not close to the shelter. I'm still researching this trip, just got the MD AT maps last week. If anyone has a suggestion please feel free to post it.

Question

Well I was there January 12, 2008 and I did'nt stay. Boy Scout troop 225 mad it there Jungle gym. The Scout Master was rude and and say anything to me or the other 2 guys that hiked in there. The kids were basicly telling us to hike on. TO TROOP 225 FROM OCEAN CITY, MD YOU ALL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ THE SIGHNS. LEARN THE AT SHELTER RULES!!!
    I stopped by the shelter with my dog for a watter break on Jan. 12, 08 and the kids and scout master expecially from troop 225 were very friendly with me and my dog. Also I thought the scout master was very good in making sure the scouts picked up their trash. I also noticed that it looked like the younger ones were the ones in the shelter and the older ones set up tents. Those younger ones were so small, I'd have a hard time seeing them carying a tent with all of their other gear. The rules did say first come first serve and I know I wouldn't want my kids sleeping with strangers that no one knows who they are or any thing about them. So theres no resons to put that about this troop thats just rude.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by Dogin View Post
    I stopped by the shelter with my dog for a watter break on Jan. 12, 08 and the kids and scout master expecially from troop 225 were very friendly with me and my dog. Also I thought the scout master was very good in making sure the scouts picked up their trash. I also noticed that it looked like the younger ones were the ones in the shelter and the older ones set up tents. Those younger ones were so small, I'd have a hard time seeing them carying a tent with all of their other gear. The rules did say first come first serve and I know I wouldn't want my kids sleeping with strangers that no one knows who they are or any thing about them. So theres no resons to put that about this troop thats just rude.
    They may have been nice to you, but the rules say that large groups should camp in tents. I also believe the BSA rules say the same thing about not hogging shelters, even if the AT rules did not. Part of being a scout is about learning to be considerate, I thought.

Don,
    Dahlgren backpacking site is a good place for a group as well. I have done this stretch many times with groups of scouts, if you want some ideas, just drop me a line.

Images

I spent one of those REALLY insane rainy / stormy nights (like a tree is going to come craching through the roof), early March, stayed upstairs, super nice shelter, can't remember about the water, had Scotch with me that trip.

Interesting - a few years ago I found a T shirt from Troop 225, Berlin, MD left at one of the shelters around here (SNP) - I still wear it now and then - as far as I can tell this is the same Troop as was mentioned above. Note my only connection with this troop is the shirt - I have never talked with any of them AFAIK

Stopped in for lunch on 11/26.
    A dude dressed in cammo, eating K-rations had his girlfriend there and at 1 pm they were just getting up and packing, in the upper loft.
    I think this here was a "stabbin cabin" last night!

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

great shelter, you can hear artillery rounds go off in the distance as you doze off, very cool

If you are in need of food or supplies at Ed Garvey Shelter, you can go to Himes Store, north of Weverton at 1324 Weverton Rd. 301-834-9815 Map

Himes Store is down the mountain from the Ed Garvey Shelter. There is a gated access road that begins about 35 yards north of Himes store and extends about 3/4 mile uphill to the AT. The junction w/ the AT is about 1/4 mile south of shelter.
    It isn't marked and is a little concealed but if you're looking for it you'll probably see it.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Former Admin View Post
    Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Ed Garvey Shelter
    Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?
    Future hikers - any questions?Stats: ?

Yea...ME TOO!

this'll be the 1st shelter I hit on May 2nd when i leave HARPERS FERRY with my bud, "MODEL-T"

maybe I'll see some of U WHITEBLAZE.netters out there!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

I stayed at the Ed Garvey Shelter Fri (7.10.09) on my last night of a section hike from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry there were 2 NOBO thru-hikers and 17 section hikers (including myself) staying there. The night before I had the Dahlgren Backpacker Campsite all to myself. The spring was flowing fast and the privy was closed for repairs.

Images

The bathhouse with showers is closed at Dahlgren?

Ed Garvey is a great shelter!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    The bathhouse with showers is closed at Dahlgren?
    Nope, the bathhouse @ Dahlgren was open and the hot showers were a great treat. The privy was closed at Ed Garvey...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar214 View Post

I stayed at the Ed Garvey Shelter Fri (7.10.09) on my last night of a section hike from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry there were 2 NOBO thru-hikers and 17 section hikers (including myself) staying there. The night before I had the Dahlgren Backpacker Campsite all to myself. The spring was flowing fast and the privy was closed for repairs.
    Wonder who the Low Life was that vandalized the railing uprights?
    Photo from May, 2004

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++