WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Jonesville,VT

Default Jonesville,VT

Are the services the same this year - just a PO ?
    If so, then how's the hitch into Richmond for fuel, laundry & store?

Thanks - GPK

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

easy hitch either way. i caught a ride from the guy in the p.o. to richmond

If possible I would hitch into Waterbury instead of Richmond. A little further but many, many more services. A dozen restaurants, 2 large grocery stores, a library and great people. When you get to route 2 head right for about 5 miles (assuming you're NOBO). Easy hitch.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Jonesville, itself, has only the Post Office. If you're ready for an overnight stop, or even a zero, call Mama Bowers and they'll pick you up from the trail and take you to Richmond. I was lucky enough to get a "back up" bed and breakfast at Mrs. Lajoie's home and was treated like family during my entire stay. After only an hour or two in Richmond, I decided to take a zero (my only one on the trail) and enjoyed every moment. Although the town is small, the library (and computers), stores, four restaurants, and an excellent gourmet bakery/coffee shop are very close by. At the end of my stay I was dropped off at the Jonesville Post Office and continued heading north.

what Quoddy said!!! Plus the postmaster is very helpfull, he let me charge my cell phone also, i got a ride into town from some locals, they took us right to the bakery Quoddy mentioned, excellent bakery , even though a small town they had everything i needed , i didnt stay the night in town though ,I just stopped to do laundry and resupply, they also have a good (small ) groc. store.

On a hot day, the soda machine at the Vintage Motorcycle Repair shop across the street from the PO (and to the right if you are facing the street in front of the PO) is welcome treat.

Quoddy,
    My hiking partner and I stayed @ Marion's too during out LT hike in 03, as the Bowers were full. She's a real joy, highlight of our trip, hands down. So much so when we were headed back north, we were dropped gain in Richmond, but Marion was out that night so we then were treated to the Bowers generosity. Glad to hear Marion is still helping out hikers, she's the real deal. I have a nice photo of her in my LT journal if you're interested. She made my dog an egg for breakfast and offered to keep him if I thought he needed a rest.

BB

Images

I actually was lucky enough to get a ride 22 miles into Capital City, cant remember the name of it, but there were hippees hanging out on the state house steps, very cool town. The kid who picked me up was a construction worker, dropped me off at motel and picked me up next day on his way back out the job site.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef2000 View Post
    I actually was lucky enough to get a ride 22 miles into Capital City, cant remember the name of it, but there were hippees hanging out on the state house steps, very cool town. The kid who picked me up was a construction worker, dropped me off at motel and picked me up next day on his way back out the job site.
    You live in the neighboring state and don't know the name of the capital of VT?

Damn public schools.

LOL@NorthCountry!

I must concur. And Chef, as a fellow Cantabrigian, I am much shamed and dismayed.

++ New Posts ++