WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Saw this shelter on a section hike and thought it was something an individual just tossed together. What a dump. One of my op 10 shelters that should be replaced o the trail. I don't know the history of this shelter, but I would be shocked if a trail club put it up.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Saw this shelter on a section hike and thought it was something an individual just tossed together. What a dump. One of my op 10 shelters that should be replaced o the trail. I don't know the history of this shelter, but I would be shocked if a trail club put it up.
    I stopped in att this shelter for a break this summer and it did have a bit of a dump vibe going. It could be that it was sort of shoehorned right up against a marshy creek, or it could have more to do with the hiker trash just left everywhere along with the gallon bags of trail mix left on the picnic table.

As far as the shelter's history, it is my understanding that this was put up on private property off the trail by an individual for the benefit of the hiking community.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Hasn't Whiskey Hollow Shelter gone up as a replacement for Dick's Dome ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Stayed their on my 06 thru in the pouring rain I am glad that I was the only person their since by the looks of it, it would only hold 2-3 people but all in all I had a okay time their, stopped their for lunch on my 2012 thru I am glad to report that they rebuilt it into an more welcoming place, it has a great water source though it's the creek you cross to get to the shelter.

Images

Stayed there MANY, many years ago with my (then-)young son. I've worked (privately) with this geometry for over 20 years. In order to make this one work, you REALLY have to think outside the box. The basic design can be very easily modified to accommodate more people (2 very simple mods come to mind), but the square door idea really doesn't work well for a "sheltering structure". Smaller door, more windows (no glass ones, please), bunks, hooks for hammocks, and NO ASPHALT SHINGLES ON THE WALLS!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Anyone with interest in "re-building this shelter can contact the PATC lead to rebuild this shelter. According to the January PATC newsletter:
    Contact Henry Horn, [email protected] or 301/498-8254. Call or email for details.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Anyone with interest in "re-building this shelter can contact the PATC lead to rebuild this shelter. According to the January PATC newsletter:
    Contact Henry Horn, [email protected] or 301/498-8254. Call or email for details.
    Has anyone helped with this shelter? I sent an email this morning about volunteering and am hoping to get out either next weekend or a weekend in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Has anyone helped with this shelter? I sent an email this morning about volunteering and am hoping to get out either next weekend or a weekend in March.
    "Whiskey Hollow" shelter is being built and as of mid-March 2016 looks like this:

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Red Cinema View Post
    "Whiskey Hollow" shelter is being built and as of mid-March 2016 looks like this:

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg
    Thanks for the info Red Cinema. I swapped a few emails regarding helping with this shelter but never received dates, info, etc. Looks like there is still a lot of work to be done.

I don't know if this can be addressed or not -- but one of my complaints about that shelter was the general lack of reasonably level ground for tenting nearby. Maybe a tent platform or two would help? Glad to see the old structure being replaced. Notwithstanding the spirit of innovation and volunteerism, it was a dump and never really a good shelter design.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I don't know if this can be addressed or not -- but one of my complaints about that shelter was the general lack of reasonably level ground for tenting nearby. Maybe a tent platform or two would help? Glad to see the old structure being replaced. Notwithstanding the spirit of innovation and volunteerism, it was a dump and never really a good shelter design.
    Rafe- Just curious if you are referring to the lack of flat ground at the old shelter (Dicks Dome) or the new Shelter? From the pictures and my observation of the area where I believe this is (North of Dicks Dome), there is not a whole lot of flat ground around the new shelter either. I am going to try to do a hike in this area in the next few weeks and will check out the area for tenting (unless Red Cinema can comment on it). Agreed on design on Dicks Dome (also not down playing the hard work by volunteers that went into it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Rafe- Just curious if you are referring to the lack of flat ground at the old shelter (Dicks Dome) or the new Shelter? From the pictures and my observation of the area where I believe this is (North of Dicks Dome), there is not a whole lot of flat ground around the new shelter either. I am going to try to do a hike in this area in the next few weeks and will check out the area for tenting (unless Red Cinema can comment on it). Agreed on design on Dicks Dome (also not down playing the hard work by volunteers that went into it.)
    I haven't seen the new shelter site. I'm referring to the old dome shelter. I ended up sleeping on the footbridge across the stream that runs by the shelter. But even the new shelter (from images in message #69) appears to be built on very sloped ground. A small army of volunteers could create a few tent platforms or hack out some level spots. (I've been part of such an army in a place where they were not nearly as essential.)

I tented right behind where the new shelter is being built. It looks like it was an old forest road. He road is on a very shallow slope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1459190777522.jpgroad behind new shelter location.

The dome
    uploadfromtaptalk1459190962051.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1459190976854.jpg

Last time I was there I camped on the road which runs past the outhouse. Lots of pretty level places there and is a nice short cut back to the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Where is the new shelter going in relation to Dicks Dome?

Stayed in that shelter alone on my thru..... Kind of creepy.

If you are facing the dome, turn to your right and go up the road/hill and you will run into it. I'm not sure but I think you can see it from the dome.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++