WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Sweet but unsanitary

Been there on a couple sections. I like the current shelter itself it ain't big but it is in great shape and if you use the angles right you can stay out of any wind. (also as of recently the coolest pencil holder ever thanks Flash) The privy spring issue however is a pretty rondonkulous example of how not to do field sanitation.

Spent a night here last week on a section hike from Snickers Gap south to Big Meadows, SNP. Great little shelter. Creek was really flowing. Gotta agree, that is one snazzy pencil holder!

Images

shelter mice LOVE this place. so you wont have to worry about sleeping alone. the round walls make it worse as they literlly ran circles around me through the night. drove me crazy. thats the double sidedness of shelters though. anytime you find one nestled in a low, protected spring-close area, mice have already found it and agree its a cozy place. any time you find a shelter thats exposed to the elements with nary a water source close by, the hardship is offset by an amazingly uneventful, serene nights sleep.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Dick's Dome

It's different. After saying that and having visited it. It wasn't worth the .2 mile walk. In my estimation it looked like something we as kids used to construct in the woods from scrap lumber.
    Grampie-N->2001

I got in around 9p this last June ('10) and there were 3 guys already occupying the dome. I hammocked nearby. I to thought the privy and water were not in the best setup. I went up stream to get my water. It was a nice sleep with the water sounds nearby though.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

No way wold I drink there, the H20 comes through a cow pasture

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

i agree grampie, it seemed it was made different just to be "different". it even has some "geodesic" sub-name inside there. I appreciate all free places to lay my head but anytime im in the area in the future i plan to skip the dome.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Is there a good water source anywhere near this shelter to the south?
    "Sea Eagle"

Images

There's a spring a mile north of Dicks Dome just off the trail which is the nearest water source. There is also a tent site that sits up the hill from this spring. South of the "Dome" about 3 miles is a spring and further south is the Manassas Gap Shelter .
    Last edited by johnnybgood; 09-09-2012 at 12:50.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    There's a spring a mile north of Dicks Dome just off the trail which is the nearest water source. There is also a tent site that sits up the hill from this spring. South of the "Dome" about 3 miles is a spring and further south is the Manassas Gap Shelter .

Thanks; sounds like camping a little north near that spring might be the way to go.
    "Sea Eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Thanks; sounds like camping a little north near that spring might be the way to go.
    Heading North, I believe the spring in question will be to your right and slightly down hill just off the trail, which you'll be ascending to get to that point. Also, keep your eyes peeled for a cut through trail just a little ways ahead of the spring on the left that leads to several camp sites which are cut into the thickets. Be cautious, however, as this same cut through is also just down hill from a parking area for the hunting grounds (G. Richard Thompson Wildlife Management Area) you'll be sleeping in and hiking through. The parking lot isn't particularly easy to get to and most people don't know about it, but I've been through there when the camping areas were all filled with hunters. You won't find many other areas to camp around there without bushwhacking a bit, and the thickets are, well, pretty thick.

VVVV Agree with bamboo bob. The place probably looked cool on paper but it kinda sucks.
    Last edited by scree; 09-09-2012 at 17:22.

Images

What a poorly thought out dump. Wastes floor space, rain comes in. Been there three times and hated it every time. Ugly, poorly designed. A pentagon! A hex might work. Someones self indulgent project. I hope it is replaced.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Thanks for the info; that helps.
    "Sea Eagle"

Stayed there over night not too bad. Stream was flowing decent. I'm sure today it's much better after all the rain yesterday

Journal Entries

Up in NH I think is the Hexigon shelter, Not sure if that is the name, but it has also the pentaprivi. That shelter seemed very useful. Dicks' Dome OTHO does not seem practical. Perhaps it is because it is so small that there is no room for that many hikers in it, at the time it was maxed out at 4, with plenty of extra floor space if you wanted to stand in a triangle all night.

IMHO it was not though out that it would be accommodating a species that requires a certain amount of space to sleep in in a approximately a rectangular shape.

Stayed there last week with Kerosene Hat and Moose Legs. It was OK, but I lost my SPOT there. D'OH!

Anyone know whether the Whiskey Hollow shelter, which appears to be adjacent to Dick's Dome, is complete? It is marked as "under construction" on my PATC map 8 dated Oct 2013.

I'm likely going to pass up this area and head north to the above referenced camp sites near the spring.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I haven't been there YET. But the PATC app says Whiskey Hollow is complete. I have plans to section through there this coming weekend. And will Find out for sure

Whiskey Hollow is simply flags in the ground marking out the location.

Journal Entries

Shelter is small and the tents sites blow hard at Dicks Dome. Campsites a mile or so to the north is your best bet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++