WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    •Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Here's how several section hikers I know have done it.

1) Park at Jo-Mary Campground, accessible part way thru the 100 Mile. Have your resupply for north of there IN that vehicle.

2) Get a shuttle from Jo-Mary to Monson, packing what you need to get from Monson to Jo Mary.

3) When you get to Jo-Mary Road, hitch to the campground, spend a night (or more), shower, eat well, resupply from your vehicle.

4) Drive to Abol Bridge Campground, park nearby (free parking right down the road). Have your resupply for north of there in your vehicle. While there, reserve a campsite for your anticipated arrival date back at Abol.

5) Shuttle back from Abol to Jo-Mary Road.

6) Hike to Abol Bridge from Jo-Mary Road, spend a night, clean up, resupply from your vehicle. If you are sure you're entering Baxter the next day, hike a half-mile or so north before going to sleep and put your name on the list for The Birches next day--sign-up sheet located at the info kiosk right on the AT near the Baxter SP boundary. (Max 12 allowed per night at The Birches, so signing up early is advised.)

7) Next day, hike Abol to The Birches via the AT, signing in at Katahdin Stream CG office enroute. Spend the night there.

8) Get up EARLY, hike to Baxter Peak and back, then take the Blueberry Ledges Trail back to Abol (half the mileage as the AT).

9) Upon arrival back at Abol, you have options. If there is space available you could stay at Abol Bridge Campground again. If not, there is another more primitive place to camp down the road. OR, you'll have your vehicle parked nearby and you can drive anywhere you want.

Only foreseeable snafu with this plan is, of course, weather. You may need to stay more than one night at Abol the first time. Baxter SP only lets you stay one night at The Birches, weather issues be damned. It is tough to get "regular" accommodations at Katahdin Stream CG without reservations FAR in advance. So you want to make sure (well, as sure as weather forecasts can be) that one night at The Birches precedes good weather the next day for your summit. If Abol is booked up on a second or third night, you could try other camping nearby or since you'll have a vehicle there you can drive anywhere within reasonable distance to get you back early enough to Abol whichever day you want to hike into Baxter. NOTE: The hike between Abol and Katahdin Stream CG is mostly very easy.

This involves a lot of driving and potentially expensive shuttles. It is anything but a straight shot driving between your three points (Monson>Jo-Mary>Abol). For your shuttle between Abol back to Jo-Mary, definitely compare on-ground shuttles to the air taxi. I've heard it is less expensive.

If you are fortunate enough to have two vehicles, you can shuttle yourselves, tho be prepared for hours of rural Maine driving x 2.
    Last edited by Skyline; 04-20-2006 at 11:02.

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Skyline has some good ideas too. I also wanted a mid-100 Mile resupply, but I didn't want to detour off trail to Jo-Mary campground or White House Landing, so I did it a little differently.

On the day I drove up to Millinocket, I drove in via logging road to one of the few AT road crossings within the 100 Miles; mine was about 59 trail NOBO miles in. There I left a hidden food cache, protected within a bear canister. On my hike, I resupplied myself there and retrieved the cannister by car on my way home after the hike. I you have others you are traveling with, the food cache idea is even more efficient because you can share the task of drop off / pickup and the canister. Using the food cache, I was able to carry less than half the food weight for the first 59 miles than I would have otherwise. I also took only what I thought I would need from the cache forward, now better knowing my pace.

I imagine that one single shuttle from Abol Bridge to Monson would be a good bit cheaper than two shuttles, each roughly half way (plus the miles to get in and out). I also would not have wanted to leave the trail with the 100 Mile and drive my car, but that's more of a personal HYOH preference.
    - Tramper Al

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tramper Al
    Skyline has some good ideas too. I also wanted a mid-100 Mile resupply, but I didn't want to detour off trail to Jo-Mary campground or White House Landing, so I did it a little differently.

On the day I drove up to Millinocket, I drove in via logging road to one of the few AT road crossings within the 100 Miles; mine was about 59 trail NOBO miles in. There I left a hidden food cache, protected within a bear canister. On my hike, I resupplied myself there and retrieved the cannister by car on my way home after the hike. I you have others you are traveling with, the food cache idea is even more efficient because you can share the task of drop off / pickup and the canister. Using the food cache, I was able to carry less than half the food weight for the first 59 miles than I would have otherwise. I also took only what I thought I would need from the cache forward, now better knowing my pace.

I imagine that one single shuttle from Abol Bridge to Monson would be a good bit cheaper than two shuttles, each roughly half way (plus the miles to get in and out). I also would not have wanted to leave the trail with the 100 Mile and drive my car, but that's more of a personal HYOH preference.

I was recounting how others I know did it, but your idea could work well also if they simply drove in to Jo-Mary CG a day before starting to hike, left a resupply box with them (assuming they allow that--definitely verify), then when they got to Jo-Mary Rd. they hitched into the CG to spend the night and resupply. Then, put the vehicle (with resupply for north of Abol) at Abol Bridge CG, and shuttle back to Monson to start hiking.

Yeah, that's much simpler actually. As is your idea (tho with this you wouldn't have to detour to retrieve the bear cannister after the hike).

Yes I heard those 7 miles are well worth it. I'll have to consider my options, as the 100 mile wilderness might chew me up and spit me right back out in Monson. We'll see though, I handled the smokies area pretty well, and my gear this year is mucho better. Thank you everyone for all you input. You're all too generous.

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

I have been working feverishly to fill in a chart of road access points and add my slackpacking/car shuttling experience to it. You might find this chart quite valuable for Maine. See http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/. Section 1-3. I think I have put alot of good info there.
    Aaron

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Askus3
    I have been working feverishly to fill in a chart of road access points and add my slackpacking/car shuttling experience to it. You might find this chart quite valuable for Maine. See http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/. Section 1-3. I think I have put alot of good info there.
    Thanks for the link. There is a lot of useful information there.
    Shutterbug

It's been five years since there was an update on this thread, but I'm seeking some advice related to getting from point A to point B in the HMW. I'm planning on flying into Bangor in late August to do the HMW. Any suggestions on how to get from Bangor airport to Monson? And then, any suggestion on how to get from Baxter to Bangor airport?

shws alowd me keep my jeep there for a week or so i think i payd a dollar a night i was on trail.

drive, hitch or get a shuttle..

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post

It you want to get a feel for the 100 mile wilderness, check out my album -- http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html
    Page cannot be found...

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Page cannot be found...
    5 year old posts come with some hazards.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Shaw's does cheap shuttles

take up Dawn from Shaws up on a shuttle. She goes everywhere around the whole state of maine.... and even NH.

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Hello, mrcatpaws, How are You?? I can help You get to Monson. Send me a P.M. and ck. out my profile. You take care. MIKE..
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++