WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clingmans Dome is now Kuwohi

I just saw this article on CNN and thought you all would be interested:

The highest peak at Great Smoky Mountains National Park is officially reverting to its Cherokee name more than 150 years after a surveyor named it for a Confederate general.

The US Board of Geographic Names voted on Wednesday in favor of a request from the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians to officially change the name Clingmans Dome to Kuwohi, according to a news release from the park. The Cherokee name for the mountain translates to “mulberry place.”
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/clingmans...nge/index.html

I read up on the history and battle for tallest peak between Clingman, Guyot and Mitchell.

I also learned GSMNP built the clingman dome tower 1 foot taller than Mt Mitchell elevation.
    Trail Miles: 5,265.4
    AT Map 1: ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    BMT: 168.3
    CDT: 210.9

GSMNP900: 134.7
    AT Map 2: 279.4

There you go Gambit, Clingman, I mean Kuwohi will need new signage.

Same thing is happening in Colorado. Virtue signaling at its best. Native Americans have been poorly served by their government. This is a great step forward!

But is this the best usage of our hard earned tax dollars?

Yes, it is.

We are unburdened by what has been!

Images

Kuwohi (pronounced koo-WHOA-hee) is the Cherokee name for the mountain and translates to "mulberry place". The Cherokee syllabary for it is ᎫᏬᎯ.

Interesting. The Cherokee inhabited their southeastern territory only from sometime in the early or mid-1700s through about 1838. They were removed from most of their territory via the Trail of Tears in 1838, except the Eastern Band, centered at Cherokee, NC. The Cherokee originally were from further north, I think New York and Pennsylvania region and were displaced by the encroachment of European-descent settlers and other tribes. The Cherokee, in turn, displaced various tribes from their southeastern homes. So Kuwhoi probably existed as the name of this peak for less than a century.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    Interesting. The Cherokee inhabited their southeastern territory only from sometime in the early or mid-1700s through about 1838. They were removed from most of their territory via the Trail of Tears in 1838, except the Eastern Band, centered at Cherokee, NC. The Cherokee originally were from further north, I think New York and Pennsylvania region and were displaced by the encroachment of European-descent settlers and other tribes. The Cherokee, in turn, displaced various tribes from their southeastern homes. So Kuwhoi probably existed as the name of this peak for less than a century.
    Hernando Desoto made contact with the Cherokee in the southeast in 1540.

https://www.cherokee.org/about-the-n...rn%20Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Kuwohi (pronounced koo-WHOA-hee) is the Cherokee name for the mountain and translates to "mulberry place". The Cherokee syllabary for it is ᎫᏬᎯ.
    Confusing. I have crawled all over that dang mountain and have never seen a Mulberry Tree. I was raised around them and on their berries.

Images

. The Cherokee inhabited their southeastern territory only from sometime in the early or mid-1700s through about 1838.

The trees were there way back then. What could have happened to them????

Mulberries kind of hide in plain sight. When they grow on the edge of a field, they tend to be short, broad-crowned, the fruit obvious. But in a forest, they'll grow tall, with a narrow crown high up, and the fruit often not visible. Birds and other wildlife gobble mulberries up, so you seldom find them on a forest floor. Meaning, mulberry trees on a farm are obvious, those in a forest aren't (and people often confuse them with basswood trees). If they were once abundant on Cliingman's, they probably still area.

++ New Posts ++