WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trip Report - Beara Way (Ireland)

I recently thru hiked the 128 mile Beara Way over 9 days. The Beara Way, or Sli Beara in Gaelic, is a backpacking trail in Ireland that roughly follows the route of Beara O’Sullivan in 1602, who led a traveling caravan of Irish refugees throughout the peninsula as they fled British conquest. The route forms a loop around the Beara Peninsula and includes two islands that can be reached via ferry and cable car.

This was my first foray into European-style village to village backpacking and my wife’s first time hiking several days back to back wearing a heavy pack. We carried camping gear but only ended up using it once at an RV-style campground. I wish I had left the gear at home, it would have really lightened our load and made the hikes a lot easier. We stayed in BNBs/hotels along the way. I would not consider them “hiker friendly” (they are expensive for what you get). I wanted to camp more but the terrain was more challenging than we expected so I was ok with shelling out for a bed every night to keep my wife’s morale up.

We averaged about 3200 feet of elevation change per day. The views and scenery far exceeded my expectations. Although the tallest mountain on the peninsula, Hungry Hill, stands at only 2238 feet, because the country was almost entirely clearcut, you have constant views throughout of surrounding mountains, valleys, and ocean bays. The overall feeling of wildness and remoteness also surpassed what I had imagined - there are no homes whatsoever and few roads at high elevation. We saw lots of interesting archeological features like stone circles.

The part that made it more challenging than expected: I would estimate 20-25% of the trail is on backcountry gravel or paved roads, but unfortunately the vast majority that is on “trail” is in a bog (thanks to the complete deforestation of the area). The ground appears to be solid, but when you step on it your feet sink in an inch in water. For miles on end your options are either stepping in mud/water or literally walking on top of shrubs. My feet were basically soaking wet the entire trail. There is no clearly defined path for much of the way, you are just picking your way through bogs towards the next blaze. This got extremely tiring mentally and physically.

While you could wild camp on this trail, the terrain would make it a challenge. There is no “legal” wild camping as it is 95%+ private property, but there are spots along the beach, behind abandoned homes, and nestled into tree lines dividing properties where you could make it happen.

We saw 4 other backpackers the entire time, 2 of those had camping gear, maybe 10-20 day hikers, and thousands of sheep.

The official terminus of the trail, and where we started, is in the village of Glengarriff but since it’s a loop, you could start it anywhere. We did it clockwise. The town of Kenmare is the largest and most accessible on the trail. We got heavy rains the first two days, which were arguably the toughest, so while that wasn’t an ideal start to the trip it kinda made the rest seem like a cakewalk. I’m proud of my wife and myself for finishing and we plan to travel more like this in the future in more camping-friendly locations.

IMG_1068.jpegIMG_1070.jpgIMG_1075.jpegIMG_1176.jpgIMG_1238.jpgIMG_1252.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1390.jpegIMG_1418.jpgIMG_8316.jpg6D77BDC0-C54A-4B56-A75E-0AF5A11BAEAF.jpg
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Beara Way '24
    128/128
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78

Thanks for posting. My daughter did parts of the Kerry Way a few years ago and described similar boggy conditions.

Whelp...There goes anyones chances at trip of the year award! That is an outstanding trip Slugg!!! The photos are great, looks like a good mix of weather but the bogs and rain seem extremely fatiguing.

Where are you guys considering going next?
    Trail Miles: 5,265.4
    AT Map 1: ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    BMT: 168.3
    CDT: 210.9

GSMNP900: 134.7
    AT Map 2: 279.4

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I got as close as Kenmare and Killarney on a bus tour. How much in-farmfield walking was there?
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Whelp...There goes anyones chances at trip of the year award! That is an outstanding trip Slugg!!! The photos are great, looks like a good mix of weather but the bogs and rain seem extremely fatiguing.

Where are you guys considering going next?
    Thanks! We did get pretty lucky with the weather considering how the trip started and how questionable the forecasts were looking some days. For our next trip abroad, no definitive plans but my wife is drawn to Romania, personally I would like to do something in the Alps, Dolomites, or maybe the Tour de Mont Blanc, something iconic, kinda all over the place lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    I got as close as Kenmare and Killarney on a bus tour. How much in-farmfield walking was there?
    Virtually all of the trail that is not on a road is on mountainous farmland used for grazing sheep. The homes are spaced far apart and are only located at the base of mountains - you won’t see hardly any buildings more than 500 feet high or so. It felt more remote than I was anticipating.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Beara Way '24
    128/128
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Thanks! We did get pretty lucky with the weather considering how the trip started and how questionable the forecasts were looking some days. For our next trip abroad, no definitive plans but my wife is drawn to Romania, personally I would like to do something in the Alps, Dolomites, or maybe the Tour de Mont Blanc, something iconic, kinda all over the place lol.

Virtually all of the trail that is not on a road is on mountainous farmland used for grazing sheep. The homes are spaced far apart and are only located at the base of mountains - you won’t see hardly any buildings more than 500 feet high or so. It felt more remote than I was anticipating.
    Im saving abroad for retirement. New Zealand has a trail i wanna check out. And I would like to walk all the Camino routes, the main one first with my college best friend.
    Trail Miles: 5,265.4
    AT Map 1: ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    BMT: 168.3
    CDT: 210.9

GSMNP900: 134.7
    AT Map 2: 279.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Im saving abroad for retirement. New Zealand has a trail i wanna check out. And I would like to walk all the Camino routes, the main one first with my college best friend.
    I just retired and have been researching international hiking options. The Kungsleden in Sweden is at the top of my list.

Super intrigued. But also distraught bc there are so many trails in this fine country!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I just retired and have been researching international hiking options. The Kungsleden in Sweden is at the top of my list.
    A huge congrats on the retirement.

++ New Posts ++