WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Black flies June 14 The Whites

I am looking ahead a year. How bad do you think the black flies will be June 14, 2025 in the Whites? I know this is peak season for them at lower elevations. I plan to start at Glencliff and hike NOBO to Katahdin to finish my LASH's. Any other concerns I ought to consider for this time frame?

I hiked the whites in June/ July and I don't recall any being a problem
    Trail Miles: 5,265.4
    AT Map 1: ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    BMT: 168.3
    CDT: 210.9

GSMNP900: 134.7
    AT Map 2: 279.4

You shouldn't have a significant issue. Here in central NH, black fly season seems to get shorter each year with the peak being in late May. Bring a head net just in case as you may need it for the skeeters later on as you get into Maine. Have a great hike.

Garlic
    Images

I was a week or two later on my thru hike, and flies were not a problem. I think you'll be starting past the worst of the mud. We walked in a little bit of snow in the Mahoosuc Notch, and some stream crossing were a little wet in Maine. But otherwise it was beautiful up there, and fun meeting the SOBOers starting out.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Carry the head net just in case. Inhaling bugs while climbing is one of the major causes of death in Maine. You may not need it, but if you do, you will be glad to have it.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    Carry the head net just in case. Inhaling bugs while climbing is one of the major causes of death in Maine. You may not need it, but if you do, you will be glad to have it.
    +1 - I have been out in the Green and White mountains in July and August and while black flies are not common, I have run into swarms that made life miserable if just for a while. To this day I carry a wide brimmed hat and head net as a precaution.

++ New Posts ++