WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Valley Way Tentsite (Mt Madison, NH)

AWOL has VW Tentsite as .6W of Madison Spring Hut just off Mt madison in the Whites. What is the .6 miles like? Appears likely to be steep down and opposite the next day? Any info would help.

Looking at a topo map, it is around a 600' vertical from Madison Spring Hut to Valley Way. Actually, one of the easier camp sites to get to in the Presidentials if one is on the ridge and trying to avoid the huts.

A good alternative is the Perch (RMC). I have stayed there. It has an 8 person shelter and 4 platforms. It is about 620' down and maybe 1.2 miles from the AT at Edmonds Col. This is half the grade. I used that trail to camp at the Perch. Alternatively the Perch is 950' feet down and 0.9 miles using the Israel Ridge Trail to leave the AT. From Edmonds Col, the path is a well graded downhill cruiser. The two trails merge along the way. Edmonds is 2.2 miles sobo from the Madison Springs Hut. IRT is 1.5m sobo from the hut.

Expect all the legal official spots near Madison Springs to fill up early on weekends and holidays, don't know about during the week. Btw, I think Osgood (nobo over mt. Madison) which is a forest service backcountry campsite is free.

I don't know how much it costs nowadays, but if you stay at the Perch somebody with RMC at Grey Knob WILL come over to collect the campsite fee. Even in the winter at -25°F. So have some cash available.

++ New Posts ++