WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass - Lifetime

Will a National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass - Lifetime member cover a hiker on the AT when entering Great Smoky Mountains NP and Shenandoah NP?

Thanks

Default Not covered

No. Backcountry fees are not covered by a NPS annual or lifetime pass.
    Last edited by hikewithgravity; 07-09-2024 at 21:19. Reason: Clarification

Speaking from buying the "The land of the beautiful pass" each year, I have only been able to use it for drive up entry fees and and I was able to use it at Carlsbad NP to enter the caverns since there is no entry fee for a vehicle there.
    I have not tried using it for hiking purposes but I agree with HWG that they wont accept it.
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

Good information.

I got my wife the Lifetime pass when it was still, what, $30? $40? The next year it went up and when I got mine it was like $75.
    My reading of it, it gets you in at free or reduced rates. It can get discounted main camping sites. We got $ off at Jamestowne last year. But the other great museum there is Jamestowne Experience, isn't part of the national parks but they still gave us a senior discount. The Jamestowne price also included entry to Yorktown. And entry was good for 7 days. We spent two days doing Jamestowne and didn't have time left to visit Yorktown.
    So if we are going near a national park/monument/whatever, I'll have one if not both passes in the wallet. never hurts to ask! Like at the Jamestowne Experience.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Journal Entries
    Images

Post What's covered, what's not

Every pass to federal lands covers ONLY admission fees. Parking, transport, reservation, and lodging fees are NOT included, although some campgrounds give a discount to pass owners. About the only benefit to AT backpackers is a clear waiver of the admission fee for Shenandoah, and it's not clear if that fee would even be charged.

The lifetime NPS senior pass covers NP entrance fees, and provide discounts on camping of up to 50%.
    - GSMNP doesn’t have an entry fee
    - GSMNP camping discounts for a lifetime senior pass are only for front country camping, not back country camping
    - GSMNP requires purchasing a parking pass for parking longer than 15 minutes, and parking passes aren’t covered by a lifetime senior pass.

The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands passes will also cover standard amenity fees at federal sites. In Southern California these are essentially parking fees in national forests.

Also does not work in GSMNP as they are not allowed to charge admission but they do charge for parking

++ New Posts ++