WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where can I look to find water situation on a section?

What forum should I look in or how should I otherwise find out about current water situation on a section(s)?

The Far-Out app is a tremendous resource and nearly in universal use by backpackers today. It has maps and info updated frequently by AT hikers about water sources, shelters, trail conditions, stealth sites, and just about everything else an AT traveler needs to know.

For those of us without Far-Out, information is available on ATC maps (I still use them) supplemented by info you can glean from Whiteblaze, including the fabulous lists of shuttle providers, shelters, hostels, etc. on the main page. You can ask specific questions about water or other info for sections or areas in the General or Specific forums here. You'll usually get helpful replies quickly. This takes more time and some organization, which is fun, but the end result isn't as complete and up-to-date as Far-Out. But....well, a few of us don't have phones, or don't take them with us on the trail, so we gotta do things the old-fashioned way.

++ New Posts ++