WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Keeping the Dream Alive

Has anyone ever financially sponsored a thru-hiker? Have you ever considered sponsoring one just to inspire trail interests? I have often thought that this might be a solution to the lack of interests. There are plenty of people that talk about it but few DO IT. How do we as a trail community support these newbies? Share your thoughts. Should we start a trail charity? Hiking this trail is important? How do we as a trail family actively help others that would love this experience , but can not afford it with out help. You know its worth it in the end. Have you considered giving your experience to someone else?

Also for the experienced trail hikers, What is your favorite trail spot to leave a little trail magic? What do you bring? Is there something special that you bring that no one else brings to the trail magic experience? How can we add to the experience?

This Article is about giving back to the trail community. I believe this kind of trail love is what we need to keep the community growing. Let's make it happen.

It's a nice idea in concept but not in reality. We feel more ownership of an undertaking when we pay the price. When we acquire something - a boat, an experience, whatever - it means more to us because it was "bought with a price."

Teaching others, taking them hiking, mentoring them, is a good way to introduce them to what we love and to encourage involvement. But I can't imagine financing somebody's trip - "Here's $5k to go thru-hike the AT. Have fun." I can't afford to do that, but even if I could, I wouldn't. Better to take that person on a two-nighter on the AT or another trail and teach them and show them the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Birthright View Post
    Has anyone ever financially sponsored a thru-hiker? Have you ever considered sponsoring one just to inspire trail interests? I have often thought that this might be a solution to the lack of interests.
    With over 3000 people attempting to thru hike the AT every year, I hardly think there is a lack of interest in hiking.

IMHO, support the trail clubs along the AT. MATC has a big chunk of the trail in a rural state with minimal resources or population near the trail. It also has been recovering for decades due to the NPS decision to move most of the trail in Western Maine in the 1980s. They and many other trail clubs have lost a major revenue source of selling trail maps and little or no money trickles down from the various phone aps to them. There has to be a trail to be able to thruhike.

Someone has to pay to build those NPS mandated wheelchair accessible (with ramps) composting privies along the ridgeline in Maine and pay the ferryman to keep folks from drowning in the Kennebec. Some money trickles down from the ATC but far better to directly support the local clubs.

Peakbagger makes a good point. Sponsoring a thru hike would be around $5,000 but the odds tend to be against that thru hike being completed and little to nothing is accomplished on a scale beyond one person. Take that same amount of money and parse it out to local AMC chapters who know where investments are needed for the trail and the communities it passes though and the contribution is greatly magnified and will last many years.

It would be difficult to support a charity for someone's vacation as "Go Fund Me" proves out time and again. But a charity that would help provide funding, regardless if the amount, would be greatly appreciated and likely help add some membership to work parties that could use the help.

The dream can only stay alive if the trail exists to engage it.

I know some folks who contributed to other's thru-hike expenses only to helplessly watch them quit early. No doubt the intent was good.
    The argument could be made that the more "aide" one receives, the less "skin in the game" so to speak. And then there is the part of thru-hiking that no amount of money can buy--the mental focus.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I give money and volunteer time to the trail clubs. Anyone who wants to thru hike can flip burgers or deliver pizza or work landscaping until they save enough money to do it. My charity is for people in need, not for those who want a free ride for fun.

I'd say we have some different views on this!

WRT to what things to leave for "trail magic", it is my impression that the term trail magic originally referred to impromptu random acts of kindness provided to hikers in need. Applying this term to hiker feeds is in my opinion a perversion of this idea. If you want to restore the concept of trail magic, I would focus less on leaving things for hikers and more on doing things for hikers. Focus on one-on-one interactions. The original concept of trail magic is giving of your time and yourself.

:banana Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    It's a nice idea in concept but not in reality. We feel more ownership of an undertaking when we pay the price. When we acquire something - a boat, an experience, whatever - it means more to us because it was "bought with a price."
    I think people pay the price when they hike the trail. It's a hard trail to hike and very challenging. I would love to see some kind of sponsorship program founded. Not everyone can afford to sponsor someone else, but for some people it means giving everything.

Over 3000 people may attempt a hike, but only 25 % complete one. I
    would like to see more success.

I don't view the trail as a "VACATION". A lot of people hike it because it gives them value or sense of importance and community. This in turn creates emotional and physical stability. A lot of people hike it for healing mind body and soul. I know that a lot of veterans were sponsored to help them re adapt to civilian life.

Default Reply: Skin in the Game

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I know some folks who contributed to other's thru-hike expenses only to helplessly watch them quit early. No doubt the intent was good.
    The argument could be made that the more "aide" one receives, the less "skin in the game" so to speak. And then there is the part of thru-hiking that no amount of money can buy--the mental focus.

I don't believe that every person who hikes the trail does it to finish it. Some people receive what they need out of the trail experience at 200 miles, 800 miles, and some 2000 miles.

There is plenty of expense even if you don't pay your way. think about it. Every hiker has to leave home, work, or family or all three. This is very common ground that creates the community trail family. In my opinion, anyone who is willing to leave all of these things put plenty of "skin in the game".

Default Reply: Hiking for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I give money and volunteer time to the trail clubs. Anyone who wants to thru hike can flip burgers or deliver pizza or work landscaping until they save enough money to do it. My charity is for people in need, not for those who want a free ride for fun.

Not everyone hikes the trail for fun. A lot of people hike it for emotional or physical healing. Some people hike it to celebrate giving up an addiction like in the book "A Walk In The Woods." For others it might be the only thing they accomplish in life. Maybe they were not able to graduate college. Maybe they did n"t have a home or family. Maybe this was the single most important accomplishment in their life. Not everyone has the ability to be a famous Doctor, Lawyer or Teacher. Not everyone can work for a fotune 500 company, NASA, or Tesla.

Default Doing things for others is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    WRT to what things to leave for "trail magic", it is my impression that the term trail magic originally referred to impromptu random acts of kindness provided to hikers in need. Applying this term to hiker feeds is in my opinion a perversion of this idea. If you want to restore the concept of trail magic, I would focus less on leaving things for hikers and more on doing things for hikers. Focus on one-on-one interactions. The original concept of trail magic is giving of your time and yourself.

I think acts of kindness are a great way to add a little trail magic.

I don't believe that every person who hikes the trail does it to finish it. Some people receive what they need out of the trail experience at 200 miles, 800 miles, and some 2000 miles.

There is plenty of expense even if you don't pay your way. think about it. Every hiker has to leave home, work, or family or all three. This is very common ground that creates the community trail family. In my opinion, anyone who is willing to leave all of these things put plenty of "skin in the game".
    Very true, but I thought you asked about thru-hiker sponsorship, sorry I misunderstood.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

[
    Not everyone hikes the trail for fun. A lot of people hike it for emotional or physical healing. Some people hike it to celebrate giving up an addiction like in the book "A Walk In The Woods." For others it might be the only thing they accomplish in life. Maybe they were not able to graduate college. Maybe they did n"t have a home or family. Maybe this was the single most important accomplishment in their life. Not everyone has the ability to be a famous Doctor, Lawyer or Teacher. Not everyone can work for a fotune 500 company, NASA, or Tesla.
    And not everybody can finish a thru hike of the AT... so why should I give them money to hike? Frankly, I call BS on all this.

:banana Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    And not everybody can finish a thru hike of the AT... so why should I give them money to hike? Frankly, I call BS on all this.

No one said you had to do anything or give anything. There would be people that would give to the charity just to give the experience. There are also people that would contribute because they want to help others on their journey. Like being a part of a much bigger picture.

I often thought that this trail has given hundreds of people psychological, mental, physical, and emotional healing from traumatic life circumstances.

You may have not received any financial help on your journey but wouldn't it have been nice. Think back on all your experiences on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I agree.
    I have, at various times, given extra food I was packing to a thru hiker the day before my hikes ended, giving them rides when opportunity arrived and even gone out of my way on rainy days to drive to the nearest trailhead/road crossing to see if anyone needed a ride to get off trail during the storm, etc. I have also given another hiker some water, along with info as to the next water source and some friendly advice as to how to rehydrate and stay hydrated in the future.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I think people pay the price when they hike the trail. It's a hard trail to hike and very challenging. I would love to see some kind of sponsorship program founded. Not everyone can afford to sponsor someone else, but for some people it means giving everything.
    there are some sponsorships. there's a group of gear companies together who started "sponsoring" a certain number of hikers each year - not specific to the AT. There's probably an application/lottery to it. I think they assist 5 hikers?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I don't think sponsoring a thru-hiker would work because we usually pay for things or services expecting some benefit or result. Sponsoring doesn't guarantee they'll complete the trail or be inspired as intended. Instead, creating resources like equipment loans, group hikes, or workshops could make hiking more accessible and foster genuine interest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++