WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default FHT#2: A conclusion of the Foothills Trail

This past weekend my buddy and I completed the 29 western miles of the Foothills Trail! We started at whitewater rd. and headed to Oconee SP. There's not a lot to mention on this section that varies from the other half of the trail. The trail is well maintained and well marked, I would say it would be considered mapless able lol

My conclusion of the Foothills Trail:
    • Exceptional water availability
    • Very well manicured trail
    • Very well marked and signage is custom woodworking/ engraving
    • Campsites are plentiful, on average I would say a campsite of some sort every 2 miles or so, with very established campsites with benches and tables every 5-8 miles.
    • Farout app was accurate and helpful

If all of these things above are true, why wont you be hiking the Foothills Trail again Gambit?

• The trail felt like I was walking in Dollywood.
    • I did not get a sense of challenge or adventure out of the trail's path.
    • The registration requirements at both end's of the trail are more than I care to partake in.
    • The trail was full of beginner backpackers, with beginner backpackers comes a lack of etiquettes.

I would like to make everyone aware of what both Oconee and Table Rock State Parks require in order to hike the Foothills Trail
    • Register for parking at $6 a day.
    • Register your hike for free.

-They wanna know allllllll of your details. Basically down to if your a back or side sleeper....

I also called Table Rock before I went on FHT#1 and the girl told me I had to be there before closing or I would not be able to register until the next day. I told her it sounded like they would have an unregistered hiker entering their park that Sunday because I was certainly not waiting around until they opened Saturday morning for to fill out a piece of paper in order to walk in the woods. Upon arrival, her information was not correct. Its a self registration kiosk if the office is closed.

If you are a beginner hiker, or wanting to take beginners on a forgiving trail, this is a great option for you.
    If you are an experienced hiker that enjoys aspects of backpacking like solitude & lack of rules this may not be the best trail for you.
    I just wanted to do it to check it off the list. Its checked. On to the BMT.
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

Congratulation on your completion of the Foothills Trail!! The campsites really are primo.

I thru hiked this in February and saw less than 5 people the entire way.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Congratulation on your completion of the Foothills Trail!! The campsites really are primo.

I thru hiked this in February and saw less than 5 people the entire way.
    I wouldn't call my experience a zoo but it was definitely more people than I saw on the entire Pinhoti or Sheltowee. Glad to have done it, glad to move on lol
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

++ New Posts ++