WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MA section hike

I'm sure it varies year to year, but in '21 the mosquitos from the bottom of Jug End to Mt Wilcox or so--maddening. It was the only area I really felt I needed DEET for them.

Other areas I was fine with oil of lemon eucalyptus, but not there. Bring head net. Consider starting the bad habit of smoking.

Journal Entries

I'd love to do that section again but I can't get there or home by bus. There is no service in Sheffield any more.

Having hiked the MA section in both directions, I'd recommend going northbound. Greylock is much easier hiking north.
    NOBO from CT: Don't skip Sages Ravine -- beautiful spot. Then the AT follows a ridge to Jug End. Water can be pretty scarce along there. And if you don't resupply in Great Barrington, it's a dry climb from Rt. 7 to East Mtn. or the Tom Leonard shelter. (Don't pull water from the Housatonic River!) The supermarket in Great Barrington is 2 miles from the Rt. 7 crossing. It's usually an easy hitch.
    In Dalton, you'll walk right past Tom Levardi's home -- if you ask, he usually lets hikers camp in his yard. Also in Dalton, a big shopping center (Price Chopper, Walmart, Home Depot). That will add about 1.5 mile to your hike if you leave town via Main St. instead of following the blazes down High Street. Main St. also has the Dalton CRA (town fitness center) that allows hikers to shower for free.
    You'll pass a Dollar General as you leave Cheshire, for a quick resupply. The lodge at Greylock is a really nice stay. Food, beer, great views. Williamstown has all mod cons (but no outfitter!?).
    The Mass. AT is really nice. It has a little of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I'd consider starting at Salisbury, CT which is maybe 5-6 miles south of the state line. There's a big trailhead parking lot at CT 41 where it should be safe to leave your car. There are numerous great views along that first part from south of Riga Shelter to around Jug End.
    I'd also consider stopping at Williamstown/North Adams. There aren't any easy access points between MA 2 (4 miles south of the state line) and VT 9 (14 miles north of the state line).
    Lee, MA is about halfway and it's pretty easy to get a ride into town there. The Berkshire Lodge is like 0.1 mi from the trail at US 20. It's hiker friendly and cheaper than most other lodging options in MA.
    I've section hiked Massachusetts in the past 6 or 7 years, and agree on all of these. Dalton, MA is well north of the midpoint of the state, but useful because the trail actually goes through town.

I seem to recall the winding stairs.

You will enjoy it.

Journal Entries

Hiking The Long Trail NOBO beginning August 19....am hiking 2/3 of Massachusetts to get the legs in trail shape before I hit the MA/VT border. Starting at MA-23 just north of Great Barrington. Can't wait!
    Appalachian Trail completion 2022
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Benton Mackaye Trail 2023
    Foothills Trail 2023

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++