WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lewiston, Maine stealth camping?

I need a stealth camp site here. Does the area offer any possibilities? Are the bus shelter sleepable? WIll the black flys keep me awake without a tent? Are there abaonded houses I can sleep behind?

It is not legal to camp just anywhere along the AT in Maine. Camping is allowed in designated camping areas only, boondocking (dispersed camping) is allowed in some National Forests, and State Parks (Baxter State Park is not part of the Maine State Park system and has strict rules regarding camping), however most National forests and parks have regulations regarding camping both in and outside of designated areas. Urban camping in bus shelters, sidewalks, and abandoned property is subject to local codes and trespass laws that may or may not apply to a single night, however safety would be a concern. Some landowners may give you permission to stay on their property, but that may be a long hunt. In my view, it would be preferable to stay in a nearby camping area on the trail and pass through town the following day.

There are several different species of black flies in Maine, which makes the Black Fly season last from last frost to first frost long. The good news is they rarely bite at night. This may be of some help (https://www.mainepublic.org/environm...ll-summer-long ).

For me, a tent tends to be mandatory given the mosquitos and other insects that come out at night, replacing the black flies. Few things seem as wet as a midnight squall in Maine forests that soaks the entire area and makes camping without shelter pretty miserable, especially for the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    It is not legal to camp just anywhere along the AT in Maine. Camping is allowed in designated camping areas only, boondocking (dispersed camping) is allowed in some National Forests, and State Parks (Baxter State Park is not part of the Maine State Park system and has strict rules regarding camping), however most National forests and parks have regulations regarding camping both in and outside of designated areas. Urban camping in bus shelters, sidewalks, and abandoned property is subject to local codes and trespass laws that may or may not apply to a single night, however safety would be a concern. Some landowners may give you permission to stay on their property, but that may be a long hunt. In my view, it would be preferable to stay in a nearby camping area on the trail and pass through town the following day.

There are several different species of black flies in Maine, which makes the Black Fly season last from last frost to first frost long. The good news is they rarely bite at night. This may be of some help (https://www.mainepublic.org/environm...ll-summer-long ).

For me, a tent tends to be mandatory given the mosquitos and other insects that come out at night, replacing the black flies. Few things seem as wet as a midnight squall in Maine forests that soaks the entire area and makes camping without shelter pretty miserable, especially for the uninitiated.

I've read that article but I can say from having hiked Maine that it definitely is not all year long in all places at all elevations and times. I wonder if it can be worse than Vermont midges. I have little doubt it can be although those midges at peak are absolute hell. I've dealt iwth the biting flys in limited areas. I really wonder if elevation affects the fly species like it does mosquitos. I'm willing to bet a huge reason for the increasing black fly problem is the spreading of chytridiomycosis which was brought to N.A here by stupid people caging animals. Its another reason to oppose caging of all creatures from biggest to smallest.

https://ecologyandevolution.cornell....ians-worldwide

The infection is primarily caused by Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (Bd), a fungus discovered in 1998 that originated in Asia, according to genetic analysis. Decades prior to its discovery, the disease peaked globally in the 1980s, with a smaller peak in the early 2000s. Minimal losses from chytridiomycosis were reported in Asia, Africa, Europe and North America. A related pathogen – B. salamandrivorans, discovered in 2013 – has infected salamanders and newts of Europe and threatens diverse Salamander species if it were to arrive in North America.

I"ll be stealth camping in Lewiston Maine for probably 2 seperate days. Legality be damned. Im not wasting 100 dollars plus on a motel. Looking at the bus schedules and availabilities I think Lewiston is a prime location for a hostel. If anyone is local to this area and wants to hang get in touch.

Lewiston Maine is old factory town that is pretty well built up. Its got a resident homeless population many with substance abuse issues that move around town to stay out of sight. There are also several low income areas with a big refugee population. There was a mass shooting several months ago in the area and they are still recovering from it.

Assuming you are trying to connect up with the AT, odds are you will be heading north on RT 201 for a series of hitches. As you leave Lewiston and head into Greene Maine its slowly gets more rural s better chances of heading into the woods to camp.

++ New Posts ++