WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Tent Platform sizes

Is there a list of tent platform sizes? And or average. For New England states along AT and long trail to boot.

I would say they are on aver 10x10? To be honest I only recall seeing a handful of platforms on the AT. A couple in NY, a few up in NH and ME...But if its any help, I carried a SS2 or Duplex on all platform stays and they both fit every time.
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

As far as I know there is not a standard size of tent platform along the AT or throughout New England. From the sites I have seen they seem to break down into three dimensions, 8'x8', 10'x10', and a few 12'x12', though the 8x8 and 10x10 seem to be the most common. I suspect platform size and number of them has a relationship with terrain difficulty, combined with available man-power to lug materials and build a stable platform. Though seemingly small, they can be really difficult to build if hand carrying for miles is the only option.

The AMC tent platforms in the whites vary by size. Most of the sites are quite busy and the caretaker will cram in as many people as possible and that means sharing a tent platform frequently.

++ New Posts ++