WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Catch Phrase: Compromise Is Lighter Than Less Weight

The item itself is of no importance in this discussion. Lets say I have a 30oz widgetA and I want to reduce that weight by X amount...lets just say by 50% through replacing the widgetA with lighter widgetB.
    What is your "limit" for compromise to save 30oz vs 15oz by just eliminating the item all together?

If one can prioritize weight, or the lack their of, as their luxury item it can make for significant weight reductions and cost savings vs upgrading to a lighter version.

Example: Everyone likes a nice camp chair but at 1.5lbs its an impactful item. If one were looking at upgrading their chair to a .75lb chair that would be a good weight reduction, but a huge weight reduction would be to eliminate the item altogether and if the user can find more enjoyment in not carrying that weight vs using the weight than its a double bonus.
    • Reduced kit weight by 1.5lbs
    • Saved the cost of the new chair
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

I still use a 1998-model Jansport external frame pack and a seven-foot-long dogwood hiking staff. But I upgraded to a modern Big-Agnus solo backpacking tent, a Sawyer squeeze instead of a Katahdin pump, and a cheap but light sleeping bag. In 2001 I stopped carrying a stove, fuel, and pot. I'm happy with each of these decisions. I also carry a paperback book and a fairly large Nikon camera. So weight is an important but not a decisive consideration.

Garlic
    Images

My "limit" depends on whether the item affects the quality of my experience. That in turn depends on defining what you want to achieve on your trip. We all have different reasons to be out there. Are you on a hiking trip or a camping trip? Are you a photographer? A chef? Vying for a FKT?

I agree that the most effective weight savings have been from items I no longer carry--cook kit, ground cloth, duplicate clothing, multitool, book, camera, etc. My pack base weight has dropped from around 30 pounds to less than 10 over the decades. But my hiking has changed as well, from camping being the goal to hiking being the goal. My body has weakened as well. At a certain age we don't get stronger any more, and injuries count for more.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I made several weight saving purchases early on in my AT section hikes (e.g. replacing 5 lb. Walmart tent with 2.5 lb. Big Agnes), but once the weight savings got to be under about 8oz. I stopped and just replaced gear as it wore out. There were a few items I eliminated altogether (most notably underwear).

My biggest weight savings was actually last year when I dropped 15 lbs. of body weight between my 2022 and 2023 section hikes. That made a HUGE difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I made several weight saving purchases early on in my AT section hikes (e.g. replacing 5 lb. Walmart tent with 2.5 lb. Big Agnes), but once the weight savings got to be under about 8oz. I stopped and just replaced gear as it wore out. There were a few items I eliminated altogether (most notably underwear).

My biggest weight savings was actually last year when I dropped 15 lbs. of body weight between my 2022 and 2023 section hikes. That made a HUGE difference.
    LR I have dropped 80lbs in the last year or a bit longer and I can attest that THAT has been the cheapest and most satisfying weight savings... Makes you feel like a whole new person!

Not sure where my limit is, but these days I’m far more likely to get rid of something than to buy a lighter one BUT that’s really because over the last 3-4 years I’ve bought lighter stuff so now if I want to drop more weight I have to get better at not taking stuff. Money got me down to a base weight of about 15 lbs, cutting items has knocked a solid two lbs off that.

Paleolith54 is right. First step on the path to en"light"enment.... Take a physical inventory of everything you take with you in the pack, pockets, and what you are wearing. On weekend outings I would return and pull. out all the stuff and note what I did not use. After a few of these shakedown camps, if you've not used an item (I use the 3-strikes rule), you can probably be safe in leaving it at home.

Purchasing new gear is always fun, but expensive if you are looking to shave weight when the current gear is working ok. One could spend a few thousand dollars on new gear to save a pound or so, but the weigh savings would be quickly negated by putting seldom used or "just in case" stuff back into the pack.

++ New Posts ++