WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MTS trail Rt 181 to Stone Mtn SP

Just finished another 115 mile part of the mountain segments (pt/4,5,6). All but about 60 miles left to complete all of the mountain (1-5) segments (roughly 280/338 miles). I'm amazed at how few other LD hikers use this trail. It is very much like the AT in W NC but hardly ever used. Spectacular scenery along trail, many impressive vistas and generally very well kept and 'easy on your feet' trails. A lot of construction planned for the BRP over the summer on seg5 so that obviously contributes to the lack of use this year. Also it's difficult to find campsites other than public campgrounds or the official ones designated by the NPS.

Great information. I have been curious what the summer time trail conditions are on the MST, I always assume any not AT long trails to be overgrown in segments.
    Trail Miles: 5,125.9
    AT Map 1: Completed 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: Completed 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: Completed 23-24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(16.8%)
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

Images

Awesome! The MST mountains segments are on my list after finishing the AT in a few more years. The trail from Clingman's Dome to Stone Mountain State Park is largely complete and I've heard it's spectacular.

East of Stone Mountain SP, a lot of the trail is still on back roads. There's a ~100 mile chunk completed in Durham and Wake counties, and the coastal section is mostly complete, but in between there's a lot of road walking, especially between Wake County and the coast.

The Friends of the MST is building new trail every year, but with ~400 miles still to be built and a lot of easements/land acquisition needed, it's going to take a long time.

In Wake county, the ~35 miles east of the Falls Lake Dam follow a paved bike path which gets a lot of traffic from local cyclists. I've biked that segment many times but hiking it with a pack doesn't seem like fun. Biking seems to be a popular alternative - I went to the Friends gathering in Durham last year and several of the MST completers who spoke said they biked most of the road walk sections.

I'm also intrigued by the Neuse River paddle alternative from Wake County to the coast. I bought a kayak last year and would love to try an overnight paddling trip. Has anyone on here done the paddle trail?

++ New Posts ++