WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Tuscarora Trail closure/reroute question(s)

Hi, planning on finishing my TT section hike at the end of the month, through section 18-22, maps F&G. My questions are about the trail closure/relocation mainly on map G, section 19&20. Trail closure and reroute begin at RT 642, Swartz Rd and reconnect to the TT via the Massanutten trail after skirting the edge of the town of Woodstock.

My question is has anyone stayed in the town of Woodstock? There’s an Econolodge there I’m thinking of staying at. Any experience with this?

Also, I was told the Massanutten trail isn’t in the greatest shape. Any experience with this also.

One more thing, is there any other work around for this section I’m not seeing???

Twilight

Woodstock is a small town right on I81 that your mileage may vary. Fast food and gas stations, a Walmart, and used to be a 5 guys. The Massanutten Trail is gorgeous. That’s why you’re hearing it’s not!

Images

I thru-hiked the Massanutten Trail in 2021 and it was in decent shape but there are sections that are very rocky. Water can also be a concern depending on time of year - I used water caches. Overall, I really liked the trail - it offered some great views. Camping spots were limited on the west side.

Thank you both for your replies.

Question for you Fudgefoot, do you recall if there was a water source in the area of Powell’s Fort. Where the TT briefly intersects the Massenutten Trail?

Twilight

**UPDATE** I’m out hiking this section now. Before I forget I want to make this note. There is a camp spot along the Woodstock fire tower RT 758. Its in the GW National Forest. It’s a little more then a mile from when you begin the ascent up the mountain. It’s tucked in one of the corners along the road, on the right. It’s about 1.5 miles on the descent. It appears to be a boon docking site. There is no water.

Twilight

++ New Posts ++