WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Live in ATL. Davenport gap to Sams gap logistics?

Experienced ~18-20 mile a day section hiker with dialed in gear. Going next month in May 2024. Unable, unwilling to leave my vehicle anywhere.
    Taking shuttle/logistics recommendations.

Last resort is girlfriend drops me at Davenport gap (7 hrs round trip Atlanta) and picks me up at Sam’s gap (7+ hrs round trip).
    There must be a better way.

Thanks in advance.
    -Jingle Bells (aka Pinball)

I live in ATL, have done the trip to Davenport Gap twice, it's about 4 1/4- 4.5 hours via Asheville/I-40. Not wanting to leave your car somewhere makes it hard. If you're worried about security at either end, consider leaving your car at Standing Bear (where the trail crosses I-40, couple miles from Davenport Gap) and shuttle from there. Your car will be safe at Standing Bear, shuttle to Sam's Gap and hike south.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Always recommended to walk to your car.

Park at NaturesInn near Sams Gap or Johnnys in Erwin - Add mileage to Erwin, or shuttle into Erwin from Sams Gap.
    Reverse trip and park at Standing Bear.

Travelling Lite Shuttles is based in Asheville.
    Or Unicoi shuttles in Erwin.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

This is great. Thank you both. I’m going to call around to get warm fuzzies about where to leave my car.

PinballATL this is not the answer you are looking for, but I am curious why you are against the trailside parking? If luxury/ nice vehicle is the case I understand but if its just a daily driver I can attest to parking on the side of the road being as safe as a Walmart parking lot. Over 150 backpacking trips roadside parking, never a doording let alone a broken window etc.

but if you insist on not parking trailside, yes parking at a hostel is your next best bet.
    Trail Miles: 4,992.0
    AT Map 1: Completed 13'-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: Completed 20'-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: Completed 23'-24'
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    GSMNP900: 134.7
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Hostel warm fuzzies received. Problem solved. Thanks for the ridiculously quick help and engagement. This is particularly exciting because I feel like it opens a door to continue sectioning North that I really never thought existed.

Indeed Gambit. I have a decent late model vehicle and humorously, curiously bad luck with life’s big2 assets (house/car) be it from vandals, police, weather- you name it.

Amtrak can get you reasonably close ( long shuttle) in mid to north Virginia and right to it in Harpers Ferry with a connection in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by PinballATL View Post
    Hostel warm fuzzies received. Problem solved. Thanks for the ridiculously quick help and engagement. This is particularly exciting because I feel like it opens a door to continue sectioning North that I really never thought existed.

Indeed Gambit. I have a decent late model vehicle and humorously, curiously bad luck with life’s big2 assets (house/car) be it from vandals, police, weather- you name it.
    Hey I get it, sometimes its best to go with your gut/ resolve even if it means a bit more legwork, if it puts your mind at ease its worth it. Same as driving back to the house to check that the garage door is closed...

Journal Entries
    Images

Will add costs but fly into Asheville or TriCities from ATL, shuttle to trail, and shuttle back to airport.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Will add costs but fly into Asheville or TriCities from ATL, shuttle to trail, and shuttle back to airport.
    A good idea. Especially as a replacement to your wife having to do all that driving. Still not a bad idea likewise

Thanks- I’m sure the flights are going to become a thing after this section or the next. I’m pumped about my hike but dreading driving home alone dirty/smelly/sore for 4.5 hours.

While we are at it:
    Any highlights of my Davenport to Sam’s section?
    -Pass thru Hot Springs will be cool and a first for me. I thought Mountain Crossings going thru building was cool.
    -Will take a short break in Max Patch.
    -Highly likely trail magic I should count on?
    -Is the Cookie Lady in my section? Is she on a side trail?

Journal Entries
    Images

Highlights
    Standing Bear Hostel
    FAA Beacon
    Max Patch
    Lovers Leap
    Mill Ridge
    Rich Mtn Firetower
    Viking Mtn - Jones Meadows/Blackstack Cliffs
    Exposed Trail
    Big Butt meadows
    Laurel Shelton Graves
    Access to Rocky Fork State Park at Flint Gap
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Thanks! That’s a longer list than expected.
    I’m pumped. I’ve graduated to practicing locally with fully pack weight and will be the most prepared I have ever been for a section. Usually for my sections I train prior with some* weight in pack, but not heavy enough and end up with really challenging soreness during/after.

++ New Posts ++