WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOC, Newfound Gap help/advice

Hi all,
    Planning a fall section hike; going to stay at Nantahala area, shuttle up to Newfound Gap, and then hike SOBO back to Nantahala. Questions:

1. any advice on where to stay and/or park?

2. Shuttles....any recommendations? to drive me from the Nantahala area and drop me off at Newfound Gap in GSMNP

3. Any tips, inside info, knowledge, advice on this section from those who have done this area before?

I have the AT guide book and am going to contact some of the places in there, particularly for lodging, but thought I'd come here first as many times I've gotten good info from this board that's guided me on info found in the AT book. I live about 4.5 hrs away from Nantahala, so likely going to go there the night before and spend night, shuttle to trail the next morning.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

Pack Rat is a great guy for a shuttle around there. Out of Gatlinburg. 865 469 1707. I used him in 2021, so not sure if he still does it.

1.6 miles south of Yellow Creek Gap there is a great stealth site right on the trail (maybe not really stealth). Flat, grassy space for 3-4 tents. Get water about 1.2 miles before site, .4 from the gap.

Fontana Marina good for a snack stop, gas station style resupply.

Great view from Cheoah Bald.

Be prepared for any kind of weather you can imagine. I've done 2 early November hikes through there and one time I had perfect weather. Upper 50s during the day/30s at night. The next trip I had rain every day until the temp dropped into the teens and it began to snow. I always knock 5-10 degrees off any forecast I find for that area to give me an idea what to expect.

Fontana resort and fuel station have a quality resupply and nice rooms if you were to need that.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++