WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Layman’s breakdown of anti inflammatory s & pain killers . & alternatives.

For hiking what have you heard and what seems to work for you?
    What anti inflammatory for what condition?
    Any in particular for arthritic conditions
    What pain killer/ and or fever reducer?
    What known or suspected use issues good and bad?
    What alternatives fit into long distance hiking?
    Does glucosemien * condroitan* help with your aches and pains?

Very tricky questions better posed to your physician, if he/she understands exercise.

I would just say that increased fitness can reduce aches and pains experienced by most beginners. Past a certain fitness threshold, it's not a problem. Be careful with NSAIDS, which can damage your liver and other organs. I would suggest that a low-carb diet can reduce certain arthritic conditions. An ancestral protein-based non-processed diet might be your strongest tool.
    Avoid sugar, white flour and seed oils.... Oh, sorry that's the basis of the Hiker's diet! At least that's what Little Debbie told me... But seriously, I think the crummy hiker's carby diet is responsible for a lot of hikers' health problems, as well as insatiable hunger caused by constant insulin spikes and crashes. That's not how our bodies are meant to work.

Unless you are allergic nothing will hurt if used only as needed. They will all hurt you if popped like candy.

motrin and such for sore muscles. Aspirin and such for headaches and hangovers. Aspirin helps with fever. But if you have a fever you should get off the trail and see a doctors. Getting up in the morning with a little stiffness does not constitute a reason to consume drugs. Such it up buttercup and drive on. If you get a random headache you are likely dehydrated. Drink more water. Aspirin will only hide the problem.

I never noticed much benefit for myself with glucosamine-chondroitin supplements, but I tried it for my dog (long since gone to doggy heaven) as she got older. It made a definite difference. As she got older she was unable to jump in the back of the car, then after g-c she was able for a few more months. Eventually age caught up with her again.

I sometimes take naproxen (Aleve or generic equivalent) prior to a hike to avoid pain.
    I sometimes take ibuprofen after or during a hike to alleviate pain.
    I don't take drugs all the time as I feel I develop a tolerance and they become less effective.

I find taking a break during hiking, from a few seconds to a few minutes, is also very effective in pain dissipation. Either sit on a higher rock/ledge so my feet dangle so no weight is on my feet, or angle so the least possible weight is on my feet. At home I use ice packs after a long training hike. On the trail I have soaked my feet in a cold stream.

Perhaps it is worth mentioning I am a disabled veteran with ankle issues. Ankle braces/stabilizers help but after a few miles I am going to have some pain.

Garlic
    Images

I saw this in a chiropractor's office: "Taking painkillers is like removing smoke detectors during a fire."

I know that's insensitive to those living with chronic pain, like my now-deceased father. But when it comes to something recreational and optional, like hiking, it's probably smarter to pay attention to your body. If it hurts, try something different. Lighten the load, decrease the pace or mileage, stop and let something heal. I'm suffering from plantar fasciitis now, and I'm spending a lot of time on my bicycle because it doesn't hurt. I can't remember the last time I took a pain med. It was before I saw that saying in the doc's office and that was back in the 20th century.

I have used glucosamine/chronditin/MSM on occasion over the years and I feel it does work but its a long term thing. After my broken ankle I took it religiously for at least a year.

There is pretty good clinical evidence that it slows down athritus progression and given my age and some known spots of arthritis in my knee, its probably not a bad thing to take.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

A veterinarian friend of mine said this about both my dog and me: Try glucosamine for a month. If you don't notice a difference, it won't work.

It worked for her; me, not so much.

The usual pain killer for hikers is Ibuprofen. My cardiologist said nevermore for me, so I take Tylenol as needed.

I've always thought asking medical advice online was a bad idea.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Glucosamine / Condrontin. My doctor and I discussed some years ago. He said: First, you have to take it for a minimum of a month to see if it works for you. Second, if after a month you don't think it helped, just discontinue. Third, He took it and felt it helped, but one of the other doctors in the practice tried it, it didn't work for them so the others taking it are wasting money.
    We give a doggie version to our 9+ year old dog and it does seem to help. He had a rough first 4+ years of his life before we adopted him, including falling out of a car onto a freeway. We know now that he had a fractured hip from that. He also has an "As Needed" doggie pain pill, which we rarely give him

I can't do Ibuprofen (Vit-I) due to stomach issues. So Tylenol it is.

The original poster and everyone else, discuss with your MD. Know you need to try this stuff out while doing shake downs. Suggest figuring it out about 6 months prior to a long hike.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I have hiked with weekend warriors from the medical field who swear on 4 ibuproven 30 minutes prior to bed.

Now on a long distance hike I would recommend trying to minimize until something serious happens.

This list of questions is good, but really need to be taken up with a medical professional. The risks of NSAIDs like Motrin can be higher as one gets older and more serious as other medical conditions develop like heart disease, coronary artery disease that can increase the risks of stroke and heart attack, stomach and digestive system bleeding, and double the risk of kidney disease. along with secondary level issues. Suffice to say you will probably have daily aches and pains that may need some relief, Tylenol will probably be the most referenced pill.

Osteoarthritis in the hips and/or knees may be an issue, however glucosamine and chontroitin (G/C) takes a while to start working typically between 2-6 weeks before one starts to feel whatever benefit they are going to provide. They are not harmful to the body, but may be to your wallet when a lot of testing over time shows little advantage to their use over placebos. If there is bone to bone contact there won't be a lot you can do outside of joint replacement and related physical therapy. Which brings us back to a consult with a medical professional about your current health and what you can take for various common ailments on trail. If these joints are giving you issues some sessions with a physical therapist can help with specific exercises you can do daily to stay limber and reduce some pain.

(Wandel S, et al. (2010). Effects of glucosamine, chondroitin, or placebo in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee: Network meta-analysis. BMJ. Published online September 16, 2010. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.c4675).

++ New Posts ++